Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:29:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICVAULT: The Most Secure Cryptocurrency Hardware Wallet  (Read 12044 times)
cuteman (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 12:40:06 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2018, 12:58:26 AM by cuteman

There is a new very secure hardware wallet launching   -  surpassing Trezor and Leger, as producers claim.  They say it provides 1000 times(!) better security than any other hardware wallet/

For me it look very nice, especially in aluminium-titanium case, and I would like to buy it (though it is rather expensive - around 200 Euro) :

Short description from the website:        AsicVault is a next generation storage device specifically designed for cryptocurrencies. Developed by a company in Estonia, it provides the best security features. Aside from providing cutting edge cryptocurrency software wallet security, this device is fabricated to provide the best physical security as well.

AsicVault’s custom chip equipped with “crypto accelerators” provides 1000 times better security than any other hardware wallet. Its custom chip is composed of two physically isolated RISC-V processors. The device uses all round “anti-tampering technologies” to make it physically secure. This feature essentially makes this device more of a vault than a hardware wallet.

With no batteries, this device uses Supercapacitor technology for energy. Moreover, a number of embedded self-destruct modes enhance its security reliability. AsicVault also provides complete encryption for your computer hard drives. All the encryption algorithms are run on the device thus never exposing keys to your computers. The device controls can easily be accessed through a user friendly interface. A touch screen display on top of the device provides a smooth user experience.

Web-site:   https://asicvault.io/

Here is video from exhibition:  https://video.buffer.com/v/5a2576f7936392fc145eaaab

------------------------------

For me is unclear why there is not really much information about this device in independent media.   If this device is 1000 times more secure than other devices, why media does not cover it?    There are some articles on the net which seems to be promoted, though.

Can it happen that producer will be able to maybe steal money from it, remotely ?  

What do you think about it?    

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wheeliespeedy

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 08:13:26 AM

hI

i STUMBLED ACCROSS THIS DEVICE AND ON ONE HAND IT LOOKS FANTASTIC HOLDS ERC-20  TOKENS N LOADS OF ALT COINS LIKE NEO AND MONERO but on the other hand really there isn't many details on what I need so I keep asking myself is it to good to be true.

Having been burnt in the ICO for Giza Device hardware wallet I'm cautious. I've got a Trezor but it's very limited in available coins but I'll put up with it until the ASICVAULT is reviewed few times.

Wink
cuteman (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 09:15:53 AM

The device looks fantastic, and I don't understand why there is no independent reviews on it yet.    I would be glad to purchase it, but i am also caucious.

I would suggest the producer to distribute a few devices for the testing purposes to independent people.   Wink

Recent pictures i found on this device:

Haliburton

Activity: 502
Merit: 118

Liberated Forever. Domesticated Never.

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 11:50:58 PM
Merited by Steamtyme (1)

This hardware wallet looks promising. If it is as secure as they claim, then the device could easily take off and compete against other hardware wallets such as Ledger Nano S and Trezor. However, there isn't much info about the company behind ASICVAULT, neither updates about the development of the hardware wallet itself.

Last time I've checked on their site, they're still doing pre-orders. They only accept cryptocurrency payments for their orders, so it seems kind of shady to me. Why not accept regulated payment processors like Visa or PayPal as well? This could bring not only flexibility to some users, but also trust since they can have protection of funds in case things turn out not as expected.

Therefore, if this company is legit or not, I don't know. But seeing that they only accept crypto, makes me doubt if this hardware wallet would ever come into reality soon. Unless I see a real working and functional product reviewed by other people, I'll stay away from this as much as possible. Undecided

cuteman (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 05:44:26 PM

They only accept cryptocurrency payments for their orders, so it seems kind of shady to me. Why not accept regulated payment processors like Visa or PayPal as well? This could bring not only flexibility to some users, but also trust since they can have protection of funds in case things turn out not as expected.

Therefore, if this company is legit or not, I don't know. But seeing that they only accept crypto, makes me doubt if this hardware wallet would ever come into reality soon. Unless I see a real working and functional product reviewed by other people, I'll stay away from this as much as possible. Undecided
Did not nitice this fact, thanks. I would agree with you. There are so many scams on the market, that a company without VISA/PayPal payment possibility looks very suspicious.
Alois D

Activity: 55
Merit: 16

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 10:13:48 AM

they are certainly totally off, evicted from their office, phones are dead and they seem to have a tax issue with the gov. typical startup failure in the best case, scam in the worst.   
cuteman (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 01:22:16 PM

they are certainly totally off, evicted from their office, phones are dead and they seem to have a tax issue with the gov. typical startup failure in the best case, scam in the worst.   
Wow, if that was a scam they must produce and demonstrate the fake ptototype on the conferences.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 01:31:21 PM

AsicVault’s custom chip equipped with “crypto accelerators” provides 1000 times better security than any other hardware wallet

That's a huge-ass claim right there. Reading the information on their site, I felt like I was reading a buzzword-heavy ICO whitepaper. Makes me a bit skeptical. Though I won't immediately come to conclusions of course. Time will tell if this is actually a good hardware wallet.

Also, 200 EUR.. hmm.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
rossr1

Activity: 363
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 09:49:53 AM

The most hilarious phrase that jump in my face immediately while I was reading that, was: 1000 times better than Ledger Nano, at least manufacturer saying that, lol
Proton2233

Activity: 434
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 10:01:38 AM

It is interesting that such system of self-destruction? I think for users there is no difference between the fact that hackers steal coins and the fact that the keys are self-destructed when you try to hack. Lol! 200 euros is a small security fee but I think it would be more profitable to sell such things on credit for the cryptocurrency.
Alois D

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 08:22:15 PM

Wow, if that was a scam they must produce and demonstrate the fake ptototype on the conferences.
You can call it whatever you like - the fact is that people payed for the device half year ago and nobody has received anythings and the team is virtually hiding itself. 
Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 08:32:39 PM

You can call it whatever you like - the fact is that people payed for the device half year ago and nobody has received anythings and the team is virtually hiding itself. 

This whole thing seems very sketchy. The marketing itself just reeks of dishonesty from the start. I'd be surprised if this actually turned out to be a legit project to be honest.
Alois D

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 09:12:22 AM

This whole thing seems very sketchy. The marketing itself just reeks of dishonesty from the start. I'd be surprised if this actually turned out to be a legit project to be honest.
Got an answer from their Latvian promoter https://www.facebook.com/viestursp :
Hi, product (HW part) is ready for some time, now development team is working on software for it. Software i demonstrated is still in demo/beta version we will send out units when all softwre tests will be done. dont worry everyone who ordered device will get it 🙂
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2018, 09:21:52 AM

I really like the design of this wallet, I know that that's not the most important feature of this hardware wallet, but just wanted to mention it anyway.
Though, I do think that even the cheapest version is pretty expensive, with prices starting at 199 EUR.

I really wouldn't be pre-ordering these at those prices and with some claims of it being sketchy.

asicvault
Copper Member

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 07:17:57 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2020, 04:39:41 PM by asicvault

Thank you eternalgloom, I personally like the design a lot too.  Here are some recent pictures:

So, challenge me about anything on the technical side and I am ready to prove it, explain it in detail and show it to you.

Alois D

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 07:27:28 PM

Thank you eternalgloom, I personally like the design a lot too.  Here are some recent pictures:

So, challenge me about anything on the technical side and I am ready to prove it, explain it in detail and show it to you.

even nicer pictures than half a year ago. hopefully this time it all goes beyond that
cuteman (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 07:41:42 PM

Got an answer from their Latvian promoter https://www.facebook.com/viestursp :
Hi, product (HW part) is ready for some time, now development team is working on software for it. Software i demonstrated is still in demo/beta version we will send out units when all softwre tests will be done. dont worry everyone who ordered device will get it 🙂
everyone who ordered device will get it...   Undecided    When?   They promised devices to be shipped in Winter, now is summer already.
Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 08:02:52 PM

Thank you eternalgloom, I personally like the design a lot too.  Here are some recent pictures:

If it's legit and I was wrong in my posting before I'll apologise in advance. I've just seen so many scams over the years that it's hard to give the benefit of the doubt.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2018, 08:34:41 PM

If it's legit and I was wrong in my posting before I'll apologise in advance. I've just seen so many scams over the years that it's hard to give the benefit of the doubt.

Well, it might be legit, there's no guarantees that they're going to pull through with the pre-orders.
That said, if these become available for direct purchase, I'd definitely want to buy one.

Looks way better than the ledger nano and Ledger blue, that's just purely my own taste though Smiley

asicvault
Copper Member

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 09:17:20 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2020, 05:16:08 PM by asicvault

Of course it is legit, I stand behind every single claim made on our website https://asicvault.io

How can it be 1,000 times harder to crack compared to other BIP-39 hardware wallets?
BIP-39 hardware wallets are working on very low performance microcontrollers or secure elements.
They are doing only 2,048 iterations of PBKDF2 SHA-512 that is even less than old NIST recommendation of 10,000 rounds from year 2016.
Performing higher number of PBKDF2 SHA-512 is standard practice for good security. iTunes does it, LastPass does it and Veracrypt as well.
Even Ledger agrees that this very low number is the main problem of BIP-39:
https://donjon.ledger.com/Unfixable-Key-Extraction-Attack-on-Trezor/

AsicVault specially designed SHA-512 accelerator inside high performance secure chip is at least 340 times faster than common microcontrollers.
The number of PBKDF2 SHA-512 rounds is set to be exactly 1,000 times higher than BIP-39, hence the cost to crack AsicVault is also 1,000 times bigger.
Please read in-depth teardown review and validation of AsicVault SHA-512 performance here:
https://medium.com/@Zero404Cool/teardown-of-two-touchscreen-hardware-wallets-trezor-vs-asicvault-a92923a5b6ce

If it takes 10 days to crack an ordinary hardware wallet, it would take 10,000 days ie 27 years to crack AsicVault.
If it costs $10,000 to crack an ordinary hardware wallet, it would cost $10,000,000 to crack AsicVault.
You can perform independent analysis according to the PDF document in video description and our device performance is shown on this video below:
https://vimeo.com/293211785

What is SRAM-PUF and why do we need it?
While some people have said that there is no point of encrypting the seed phrase and it is totally fine to hold it in RAM, we think the opposite.
The main reason given for not encrypting seed phases has been that the encryption key has to be stored in Flash and it is as easy to extract.
This is true for non-secure microcontrollers that lack the sophisticated hardware required for proper key storage, like SRAM-PUF.
Physically Uncloneable Function does not store the encryption keys in non-volatile memory, they are invisible when the device is powered down.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_unclonable_function
This way of deriving a key from the SRAM properties has great security advantages compared to traditional key storage in non-volatile memory.
Because the key is not permanently stored, it is not present when the device is not active (no key at rest), and hence cannot be found by an attacker who opens up the device and compromises the memory contents.

AsicVault does not rely just on PUF, we are using multiple layers of encryption everywhere.
We have a very fine unique 75nm mesh around the electronic components protecting them actively from outside intrusions.
If you destroy the mesh, your encryption key will be broken as well.

AsicVault can be called a true hardware wallet since we have designed all key components in hardware, not in software.
We have written over 77,000 lines of Verilog/VHDL code (hardware design), together with testbenches over 550,000 lines.
This is more than Bitcoin Core client code size - all in hardware.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: