Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:32:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap 1080ti Mining Rig  (Read 279 times)
lobstor (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:49:06 AM

So I have been using my own personal computer (8700k with Asus 1080 TI strix OC) to mine coins the past 3 months using just NiceHash legacy and wanting to know up the ante with a proper 24/7   dedicated mining rig.

I’ve built 100s of computers in the past but never a mining rig but I  do know that I have to keep power usage down but still enough to keep it stable. My goal is so start with a solid foundation and expand with more cards and PSU as required over time. These are the specs I’ve been thinking about

Asus B250 Mining Expert motherboard
Either an Intel Celeron G3930T, Intel Pentium G4600T or Intel Core i3 7100T (all 35w TDP)
1x8GB DDR4 memory stick (the cheapest one I can find basically)
256GB Samsung evo SATA SSD (Already have this)
SilverStone Strider Titanium 600 watt PSU (Already have this & will upgrade this as needed)
Cooler Master, Master case pro (already have this, temp case until I build open air case)
Asus 1080 Ti Strix OC edition (already have this, would take this out of my main rig)
Galax GeForce GTX 1080 Ti EXOC (because they are cheap)

I think in this current configuration this is the max the 600w PSU can handle so happy to run this for awhile and add more GPUs and PSUs later on.

So my questions are. Does the CPU bottleneck mining performance? I can get the Celeron G3930T for $50AUD but to go to the Core i3 7100T its $200AUD. Will I see any performance loss going with the cheap CPU? And my second question, I know I’m currently using NiceHash but it be more cost effective or efficient for this rig of 1080 Ti’s to mine just one coin in general? I’m mainly doing this so that the rig can generate me more coins to play with on the exchanges so I don’t have to put my own money into it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
Tristan1337

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:59:55 AM

That CPU is fine, and won't bottleneck as long as you don't try to mine with the CPU at the same time.

Anyway mining with that CPU wouldn't be worth it first of all.  Wink
BennyT

Activity: 259
Merit: 108

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:05:59 AM

I stopped building rigs with celerons. I found the hashrates were too inconsistent and they’re too slow for 8 GPU systems. YMMV. Sometimes I will run two instances of ethminer where 4 cards are mining one coin and 4 cards mine another coin. With a celeron, the system can’t keep up.

I prefer to use i3 7100’s but if costs are a concern, the Pentium G series are fine.
lobstor (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 03:50:34 AM

I stopped building rigs with celerons. I found the hashrates were too inconsistent and they’re too slow for 8 GPU systems. YMMV. Sometimes I will run two instances of ethminer where 4 cards are mining one coin and 4 cards mine another coin. With a celeron, the system can’t keep up.

I prefer to use i3 7100’s but if costs are a concern, the Pentium G series are fine.

I do plan to add more GPUs to this rig over time so I wanna do it right the first time. I don't mind springing for the i3 7100T as long as there is a legitimate reason too.

is there any coins that 1080ti mine especially well? or is it just raw hashing power in the end?
Tristan1337

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:22:42 AM

I do plan to add more GPUs to this rig over time so I wanna do it right the first time. I don't mind springing for the i3 7100T as long as there is a legitimate reason too.

is there any coins that 1080ti mine especially well? or is it just raw hashing power in the end?

Anything that uses equihash algo will mine very well with a 1080ti.
lobstor (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:28:05 AM

Anything that uses equihash algo will mine very well with a 1080ti.

I noticed while i was using NiceHash it was basically nearly always running equihash
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:23:31 AM

you only need a dual core Pentium cpu, i3 is just a waste of money

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: