Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 03:23:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a GPU miner PC from only an HP server PSU  (Read 261 times)
timk225 (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 03:05:34 AM

I've got some 1080's coming, and I'll put a couple in my main PC and 2 in another PC I have here.  This other PC only has a 430 watt PSU in it, so maybe not enough to run a couple 1080s on.  I was going to build a whole new pc just for mining, but I'll try it like this first and see what I get.

I have some HP 1200 watt server PSUs from ASIC miners, which still make 900 watts on 120 volts.  That is adequate.

I'd like to run the pc off of only one HP server PSU, I have breakout boards with on/off switches on them, so that part is ok.

Only part I'm not sure about is powering the motherboard from the PSU.  I've seen this adapter here:  https://www.parallelminer.com/product/180watt-max-24pin-atx-power-module-included-sata-molex-cpu-power-connectors-ditch-your-atx-power-supply-entirely/

and it is claimed to work, but I am not sure it will.  For one thing, it only has a 4 pin EPS power plug and my motherboard (an Asus P8Q67-M DO/TPM) has an 8 pin EPS plug.  It's running an i3-2120 and 10 GB of ram, so plenty powerful enough for mining work with 2 GPUs in it.

And another thing, I was planning to run Windows 7 64 bit, but I could also run 8 64 bit.  I have 10 64 bit OS disks, but haven't been able to get one to load up properly.  I'm certainly not going to pay for a copy of 10, that is nonsense!  But I read at Nicehash that they suggest using 10.  Is 7 or 8 good enough or do I really need a copy of 10?
timk225 (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 11:46:33 AM

Huh?
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 11:50:00 AM

I've got some 1080's coming, and I'll put a couple in my main PC and 2 in another PC I have here.  This other PC only has a 430 watt PSU in it, so maybe not enough to run a couple 1080s on.  I was going to build a whole new pc just for mining, but I'll try it like this first and see what I get.

I have some HP 1200 watt server PSUs from ASIC miners, which still make 900 watts on 120 volts.  That is adequate.

I'd like to run the pc off of only one HP server PSU, I have breakout boards with on/off switches on them, so that part is ok.

Only part I'm not sure about is powering the motherboard from the PSU.  I've seen this adapter here:  https://www.parallelminer.com/product/180watt-max-24pin-atx-power-module-included-sata-molex-cpu-power-connectors-ditch-your-atx-power-supply-entirely/

and it is claimed to work, but I am not sure it will.  For one thing, it only has a 4 pin EPS power plug and my motherboard (an Asus P8Q67-M DO/TPM) has an 8 pin EPS plug.  It's running an i3-2120 and 10 GB of ram, so plenty powerful enough for mining work with 2 GPUs in it.

And another thing, I was planning to run Windows 7 64 bit, but I could also run 8 64 bit.  I have 10 64 bit OS disks, but haven't been able to get one to load up properly.  I'm certainly not going to pay for a copy of 10, that is nonsense!  But I read at Nicehash that they suggest using 10.  Is 7 or 8 good enough or do I really need a copy of 10?

depends on how many of those gpus you have coming on 900w figure 150w for the mobo,cpu and ssd which will leave about 750w so maybe 2 to 3 of those 1080ti's, server psu's youll get better efficiency on 220v and youll get the full power of what that psu can do so you can run more gpus per rig. btw the small psu for the motherboard is called a pico psu. its quite popular method, I too am using this on all my rigs, works great, looks much cleaner using less cables, but I also custom make my own cables for rigs of this nature. id advise building a rig with a motherboard ment for mining and a dual core Pentium cpu, nice hash is nice but if you are using 1080ti's don't use nicehash youll make more by not using it and pool mining instead, i3 cpu is rather overkill and tad wasteful for a mining rig build, windows 10 pro is OS to use, either that HIVE OS, which is Linux or maybe NVoC which is another Linux mining os

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
timk225 (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 01:18:51 AM

I ended up going with 4 1080s, not 1080ti's.  2 EVGA triple fans and 2 small Gigabyte ITX 1080s. 

I'm going to order the Gigabyte GA-110-D3A motherboard, a Pentium G4400, and an 8GB stick of DDR4 ram, and the rest of the items I already have.  I just need to sort out the power supplies and I'll be set.  I have several 1200 watt HP server PSUs with breakout boards that have on/off switches, my biggest obstacle at this point is figuring out the best way to connect 2 PSUs to the motherboard and GPUs.

Well, plugging into the GPU power plugs is easy, it's just the motherboard connections that need figured out.  If the pico psu can do it, than that should be enough.

If I have one PSU running the motherboard and some of the GPU power plugs, and the other PSU only runs GPU power plugs, then I presume it is important to switch on both power supplies at the same instant, not one and then the other?
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2018, 01:27:48 AM

If I have one PSU running the motherboard and some of the GPU power plugs, and the other PSU only runs GPU power plugs, then I presume it is important to switch on both power supplies at the same instant, not one and then the other?

Ensure the secondary PSU (the one not connected to the motherboard) is forced on before attempting to boot. Manually attempting to turn them on simultaneously is unlikely to succeed. Alternatively, you can use an Add2PSU device or one of those splitter cables, but they are definitely not necessary.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
timk225 (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 03:08:42 AM

Here is the breakout board I have on my server power supplies.  It has a switch to turn it on, and I have a push button switch to turn the motherboard side on.  This breakout board has a 4 pin fan header that it says can be used to turn it on as well, but I think I'd have to mod a couple 4 pin fan cables together to get it to work.  However, if using a 4 pin to 4 pin cable will turn both power supplies on together, that could be good for simplicity.

I'm picking up a Corsair TX850M to be the motherboard power supply and run 1 or 2 GPUs.  Thus giving me expandability for 6 GPUs on the motherboard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DPS1200FB-power-supply-breakout-board-adapter-GPU-miner-remote-on-12V-Ethereum/302387593983?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
timk225 (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 04:31:05 AM

pop up
Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 06:44:26 AM

pop up

I never understood why someone would continue to post with that negative rep shit on display. Like do you really expect help with that showing?
Moondoggie

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 06:53:02 AM

The Pico works great
Bimmber

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:51:12 AM

Quick questions about my setup:

1. I have two x 800w server PSU`s, breakout boards have power switches.
2. I have PICO to power mobo/cpu/ss, powered from breakout board.

In what sequence I should turn what on? First power on server psu which powers PICO +3 gpus? Is that ok if I turn on 2nd server power supply (which runs my other 3 gpu`s) on after few seconds after first one?
Undefined31415

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 01:15:14 PM

Quick questions about my setup:

1. I have two x 800w server PSU`s, breakout boards have power switches.
2. I have PICO to power mobo/cpu/ss, powered from breakout board.

In what sequence I should turn what on? First power on server psu which powers PICO +3 gpus? Is that ok if I turn on 2nd server power supply (which runs my other 3 gpu`s) on after few seconds after first one?

Turn on the PSU connected to the motherboard LAST.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Bimmber

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 01:27:35 PM

Hmm, currently I`m planning to hook them up like this, form breakout boards:

PSU 1
Cable to gpu 1
Cable to gpu 1
Cable to riser 1

Cable to gpu 2
Cable to gpu 2
Cable to riser 2

Cable to gpu 3
Cable to gpu 3
Cable to riser 3

PSU 2
Cable to gpu 4
Cable to gpu 4
Cable to riser 4

Cable to gpu 5
Cable to gpu 5
Cable to riser 5

Cable to gpu 6
Cable to gpu 6
Cable to riser 6

Cable to PICO psu which powers mobo.

---
I cannot power on PICO on its own, as it will also switch on 3 gpu`s. Suggestions?
Undefined31415

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 01:30:41 PM

I cannot power on PICO on its own, as it will also switch on 3 gpu`s. Suggestions?

That's fine. Power on PSU1 prior to booting up with PSU 2.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄