Bitcoin Forum
August 02, 2024, 01:19:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to give CoinTracking my coinbase account .api file?  (Read 254 times)
fajrero (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 03:33:11 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2018, 04:04:21 AM by fajrero

Hello,

I registered with CoinTracking last night and found it to be quite a nifty little program.

I imported my Binance history with absolutely no problem. When I try to import my .CSV files from Coinbase, however, I run into issues. Basically... it doesn't work. I see that I can instead upload a .api file. Perhaps this would work better? I went through the steps to create the 'API Key,' but Coinbase says that this file should never be given to a third party. Obviously, Coinbase does not advise giving this file to anyone.

I am not quite sure what someone could do if they were to gain access to my API Key (something nefarious, perhaps?). I tried to input all of my trades manually, but in addition to taking a few hours, I must not be inputting the information correctly, because the end result of my total coins on CoinTracking doesn't reflect what I actually have. So, I would like to simply upload my file and have it done, but not if it is not safe.

Can anyone shine some light on this for me?

Thanks,

-Faj

*Edit

I realized that this perhaps may not be the best board to post this question. I tried to delete my post, but was unable to. If it could be moved to an appropriate board, I would appreciate it.
CryptoNub5000

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 11:25:27 PM

I know this is an old post but for the benefit of those finding it, I'll go ahead and answer. Yes it is a risk to use the key for cointracking. But you can select when setting up the api to only be read only. So they have no permission to trade or make changes. Other exchanges you have to choose complete acces or none at all. But for these, cointracking deletes the key and you have to enter it any time you want it to access your exchange. So the risk is minimized. Cointracking is the oldest and most solid program available, so the risk is minimal. Hope that helps.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: