Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:56:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Be careful when using hardware wallets!  (Read 181 times)
beachbummer (OP)

Activity: 251
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:18:44 PM

Trust hardware wallets only if you purchase them directly from the manufacturer or a third party.

Someone just lost his entire life savings in cryptocoins when he made use of a second-hand Nano Ledger wallet purchased from eBay!

https://www.cryptoinfomag.com/2018/01/08/hardware-wallet-compromised-with-mitm-attack/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tlustoprd

Activity: 82
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 01:20:03 PM

Thanks. I guess I should sell my Namo Lodger I bought from some Chinese guy on eBay.
A Feeder

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:25:49 PM

Trust hardware wallets only if you purchase them directly from the manufacturer or a third party.

Someone just lost his entire life savings in cryptocoins when he made use of a second-hand Nano Ledger wallet purchased from eBay!

https://www.cryptoinfomag.com/2018/01/08/hardware-wallet-compromised-with-mitm-attack/
It is more advisable to purchase these things directly from the manufacturers. But, how did he lost all of his riches? Maybe he did not analyze the product he just bought or maybe he is too confident in his decisions.
Duzenn

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:33:23 PM

Thanks. I guess I should sell my Namo Lodger I bought from some Chinese guy on eBay.
Yes, because Chinese people can sell cheap hardware wallets, and there may be some viruses and so on, so be careful.

abduljacklu

Activity: 235
Merit: 11

ENTRY cryptocurrency

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:42:46 PM

Lesson :buy hardwallets from the manufacturer's only,do not attempt to buy from someone who doesnt involved in the hardwallet company,i suggest to buy in their official website.

ghonkz

Activity: 459
Merit: 117

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:53:41 PM

Buy second handed wallet its way to risky, he maybe done something to the wallet so that wallet kan send your privatekey elsewhere. just buy the new one, if think privacy and security is important never buy second handed stuf
bribed

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:01:11 PM

Hmm good to read this. Thanks for sharing. I actually bought a nano ledger S from someone on the internet, but it was still in the foil etc. So I think it wasnt opened before, but I was still suspicious and put transferring my savings on hold. I did also purchase a ledger from the manufacturer directly and both of them looked exactly the same. But I think my gut feeling was right, these devices can be manipulated. So its always better to purchase directly from the manufacturer and just wait for some more time until to you get the device.
bribed

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:04:17 PM

Well, you maybe shouldnt sell this device. As you are currently aware of it maybe being manipulated and therefore being dangerous you should not put someone else in danger. Keep in mind that the one that buys it from you will likely use it without thinking twice and therefore loose his entire savings. If you sell this its morally not right and you should keep in mind too that you as seller will be responsible for what you are selling, not the chinese guy you purchased the device from in the first place. Just my 2 cents.
awazieik

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 02:09:49 PM

Wow! this is so serious. With the way scams are happening online, i am not surprised that such a thing could occur. It is better to buy from the manufacturer than from a third party. Thanks for sharing.

► HackenAI ◄ ♦ HackenAI - Personal Cybersecurity Application ♦ ► HackenAI ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Facebook|Twitter|Medium|Reddit|Telegram|Whitepaper
vibingpositively

Activity: 224

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:22:53 PM

It isn't using hardware wallets that one must be weary of it is buying these wallets on the secondary market that one should be weary of. For anything that is important as guarding your money though hard to believe people would go for secondary markets especially to save a penny. It is quite ironic and laughable at the same time Cheesy.

⚫ ▬▬     V T O S   |   Decentralized CDN & Social Network     ▬▬ ⚫
  Whitepaper    JOIN OUR ICO  >  MAY 28th  <
FACEBOOK               MEDIUM               TWITTER               GITHUB               TELEGRAM
Patchee

Activity: 31

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:24:00 PM

Why would anyone buy a second hand wallet when storing thousands of dollars? What are you saving, $30???
tlustoprd

Activity: 82

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 02:42:12 PM

Well, you maybe shouldnt sell this device. As you are currently aware of it maybe being manipulated and therefore being dangerous you should not put someone else in danger. Keep in mind that the one that buys it from you will likely use it without thinking twice and therefore loose his entire savings. If you sell this its morally not right and you should keep in mind too that you as seller will be responsible for what you are selling, not the chinese guy you purchased the device from in the first place. Just my 2 cents.

You're right. I should rename it to something else such as Mano Ledgar, remove the Chinese malware, replace it with my own malware and then sell it. Smiley
johnyespapa

Activity: 257

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:54:48 PM

This is makes me believe hardwallets outside the official manufacturer has some malware,my friend bought his wallet to unofficial sellers thats why he loss $50k and thats sad.

GraciousBanshee47

Activity: 79

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:56:04 PM

omg! thank you so much for this warning... I was going to purchase one from eBay as Amazon does not ship to my country for some reason. Sad
Lonsdayl

Activity: 364
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:57:38 PM

You must be stupid to buy wallet from third party. It's the best example when somebody wanted to save extra money and lost everything.
License product is always better. Purchase in official store is always safer than on different sites and e-commerce platforms.

bribed

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:58:37 PM

You're right. I should rename it to something else such as Mano Ledgar, remove the Chinese malware, replace it with my own malware and then sell it. Smiley

Haha, that wasnt exactly where I was trying to go with my comment, but you might do good with doing it like that. When selling it, why let the chinese guy benefit from it, rather benefit yourself. Do whatever you please, but I wouldnt sell this device at all.
beachbummer (OP)

Activity: 251

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:59:21 PM

It is more advisable to purchase these things directly from the manufacturers. But, how did he lost all of his riches? Maybe he did not analyze the product he just bought or maybe he is too confident in his decisions.

What happened was that there was a pre-generated seed (or for easier understanding, a private key) stored inside which the victim thought was randomly generated. It's like me selling you a padlock with keys that I made and I kept a copy for myself.

Once the victim uploaded the coins to the wallet, it was "game over" because the hacker could access the wallet using the private keys and transfer the coins to another wallet of his choosing.
Blas

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 03:26:47 PM

I would never buy used hardware wallet. I do not understand people who do it. It is a recipe for disaster. Just looking for trouble.
If you want to be safe don't cheap on security!
Lora_ng15

Activity: 452
Merit: 7

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2018, 05:33:04 PM

Never buy a hardware wallets from your hands, saving a couple of dozen dollars can result in the loss of all your assets. The safest option is to order directly from the manufacturer's website, thanks to worldwide shipping.

┈┈┈┈┈ WOWSECRET┈┈┈┈┈
● In WowSecret we trust ●
┈┈┈┈┈ https://www.wow-secret.com ┈┈┈┈┈
Julunguul

Activity: 473

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2018, 06:23:40 PM

wow, it looks like I'm going to put off buying wallet hardware because of this news.

2 weeks before, I plan to buy wallet hardware through friends of my friends. he said his stuff is still a seal (of course everyone can do that). but if I want to buy directly through the manufacturer, it will require a very large fee, in my country pays need a little more money to pay the high customs duties
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: