Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:04:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help moving old wallet Bitcoin Core v0.9.1-beta (64-bit) to new wallet  (Read 149 times)
marc123321 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 03:51:06 PM

Hello,
I'd like to move my wallet over to a new wallet, don't want to mess it up. I'm using a Mac Sierra 10.12.6 with 120GB hard drive.
Thank you very much in advance!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:17:49 PM

Hello,
I'd like to move my wallet over to a new wallet, don't want to mess it up. I'm using a Mac Sierra 10.12.6 with 120GB hard drive.
Thank you very much in advance!!!

What exactly do you want to do?
Simply import/export all the private keys in the new wallet you want.

Although, depending on when your bitcoin core was created, it would generally be better to make a transaction sweeping all your funds into the new wallet that has seeds etcetera. ( Something such as electrum)), which Bitcoin Core doesn't have.

E4CM1

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:30:48 PM

I have a similar question, so I thought I'd post in this thread.

I opened a ~6 year old wallet.dat file in a fresh install of bitcoin-core (after it downloaded over a hundred gigs of data!). It shows 0 bitcoin, so before I trash it I want to make sure I have my settings right. I was mining on a pool and I have emails of transactions from the mining pool to my public bitcoin address.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 05:50:08 PM

I opened a ~6 year old wallet.dat file in a fresh install of bitcoin-core (after it downloaded over a hundred gigs of data!). It shows 0 bitcoin, so before I trash it I want to make sure I have my settings right. I was mining on a pool and I have emails of transactions from the mining pool to my public bitcoin address.

Did you check whether the address which recieved the payouts does indeed have a balance?
You can check your address in a block explorer (e.g. https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC, https://live.blockcypher.com/btc/ or https://blockchain.info/.
If your address does 'contain' bitcoins you have to make sure that your wallet does hold the private key of this address.

You can use the listaddressgroupings command to list all addresses. Check whether your address is listed.
Or you can execute the listunspent command to list all unspent outputs (basically the 'coins you can send').

AdolfinWolf
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:51:44 PM

Did you check whether the address which recieved the payouts does indeed have a balance?
You can check your address in a block explorer (e.g. https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC, https://live.blockcypher.com/btc/ or https://blockchain.info/.
If your address does 'contain' bitcoins you have to make sure that your wallet does hold the private key of this address.

You can use the listaddressgroupings command to list all addresses. Check whether your address is listed.
Or you can execute the listunspent command to list all unspent outputs (basically the 'coins you can send').

Or alternatively, drop/dump the private keys of all your adresses, and import them in something such as Electrum, which should show all the balances you've possibly had on those adresses, since the core wallet might somehow be bugged.. It's less of a hassle then looking through 100's of adress on blockchain.info,

The command simply is
Code:
dumpwallet

Do note that this will extract your private keys in an unprotected format.

E4CM1

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:00:51 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2018, 06:20:58 PM by E4CM1

Or alternatively, drop/dump the private keys of all your adresses, and import them in something such as Electrum, which should show all the balances you've possibly had on those adresses, since the core wallet might somehow be bugged.. It's less of a hassle then looking through 100's of adress on blockchain.info,

The command simply is
Code:
dumpwallet

Thanks for your replies, I'm starting to think I never fully understood bitcoin when I set it up, but here's what I know:

The single address that the pool paid out to has a couple bitcoin, it says unspent on blockchain. I don't know whether the wallet is the destination of this address, unfortunately...

Is Electrum an alternative bitcoin client? Do I import the private keys directly or via the wallet.dat file? Thanks for your help!

EDIT:

Another thought I had, it may be a locked wallet. The bitcoin-core software (the windows GUI version) rescanned for a while after opening the old wallet.dat file, but didn't prompt for a passphrase to unlock it. Do I have to do that manually?
marc123321 (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:28:02 PM

I'm trying to get some of my BTC out of the wallet.

I listedaddressgroupings and found 1address with a small balance which matches my records. I attempted to send the BTC out, but over serveral transactions came back conflicted or unconfirmed, but the trx did not even show up on explorer.

Seeing as I have a balance, should I just backup the wallet and load it on a electrum, what are the risks with dumpwallet?
Is there an easier and safer way?

Thank you very much!
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:32:48 PM

The command simply is
Code:
dumpwallet

Thanks for your replies, I'm starting to think I never fully understood bitcoin when I set it up, but here's what I know:

The single address that the pool paid out to has a couple bitcoin, it says unspent on blockchain. I don't know whether the wallet is the destination of this address, unfortunately...

Is Electrum an alternative bitcoin client? Do I import the private keys directly or via the wallet.dat file? Thanks for your help!

EDIT:

Another thought I had, it may be a locked wallet. The bitcoin-core software (the windows GUI version) rescanned for a while after opening the old wallet.dat file, but didn't prompt for a passphrase to unlock it. Do I have to do that manually?

There might not be a passphrase, depending on the version and settings you used. And yes, Electrum is an alternative client, and you import the private keys directly, not the wallet.dat

I'm trying to get some of my BTC out of the wallet.

I listedaddressgroupings and found 1address with a small balance which matches my records. I attempted to send the BTC out, but over serveral transactions came back conflicted or unconfirmed, but the trx did not even show up on explorer.

Seeing as I have a balance, should I just backup the wallet and load it on a electrum, what are the risks with dumpwallet?
Is there an easier and safer way?

Thank you very much!

The only risks are that your computer might be infected with a virus, in which case anyone could scan through your private keys.

marc123321 (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:50:53 PM

How can I get the private key of an address in my wallet?
If I copy it and paste it into a new wallet, will that work?
Is it necessary to delete it from the old wallet?
If yes, what bitcoin wallets can I choose from?

Thank you again for your replies and time!
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:53:46 PM

How can I get the private key of an address in my wallet?
If I copy it and paste it into a new wallet, will that work?
Is it necessary to delete it from the old wallet?
If yes, what bitcoin wallets can I choose from?

Thank you again for your replies and time!

That depends on the wallet you are using. For bitcoin core you can open up the RPC console and use something like this

Code:

To export a private key from your Satoshi bitcoin-qt client:

launch your bitcoin client as usual and wait for it to load the blockchain and start up
    click on 'help' in the menu bar (top right)
    click on 'debug window'
    select the 'console' tab
    type: walletpassphrase "your walletpassphrase here" 600
    type: dumpprivkey [your Bitcoin address here]
    this will return the private key, you can copy it now; ensure you clear your clipboard/history afterwards
    type: walletlock

https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/4203/how-can-i-export-the-private-key-for-an-address-from-the-satoshi-client/5933#5933

I use the latest version of Electrum, you can import/export private keys easily without the need of updating the blockchain, And no, you don't necessarily need to delete the private key from the old wallet. Although that would/could be smart if it was previously stored in a less secure environment.

There's some more good wallets listed here, -> https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet although i'm not sure if they all provide the same functionality.

marc123321 (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:16:05 PM

Thank you very much.

If I had successfully retrieved the btc private key, must I use a wallet to deposit it, say I wanted it in coinbase or binance?
Are there other ways?

Apologies if this is a silly question.

Thank you again!
E4CM1

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:22:45 PM

I believe the private key, or list of private keys, can be imported directly into a wallet of your choosing. I am new to this however so I may be wrong.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:51:11 PM

I believe the private key, or list of private keys, can be imported directly into a wallet of your choosing. I am new to this however so I may be wrong.
Yes, but they usually can't be imported into a service or exchange, as above is asking.

Thank you very much.

If I had successfully retrieved the btc private key, must I use a wallet to deposit it, say I wanted it in coinbase or binance?
Are there other ways?

Apologies if this is a silly question.

Thank you again!

That would indeed be the safest thing you could do, as you still need to make a transaction with that key to sent your bitcoin to Coinbase/Binance adresses.

You could also use something like https://coinb.in/#newTransaction, but i'm not sure how safe that is.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: