Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:58:36 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help!! ca i do this? (is it legal)  (Read 455 times)
Samsammom (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 01:50:22 AM

Hi I wanted to know if what I'm doing is legal. I buy bitcoins from coinbase.com and sell them on localbitcoins.com. Is this legal?
And do I need to acquire a business license? I intend to file taxes for my earnings.
Thanks for answers!
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 02:00:58 AM

If you are on USA, you probably need a license. (LOL)

I don't know, this is all very new, but occasional traders don't need license, but the occasional trader was defined like 5 times a year or so...

Don't remember where I saw this, sorry.

Samsammom (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 02:06:48 AM

Yes i'm the US. California to be specific
HollowIP

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 03:37:58 AM

The only concerns are really taxes and *maybe* gambling.

Otherwise, it's in the damn constitution that the people can make their own currencies if they so choose to.

[Edit: and even still, fuck that. Half these taxes they throw on us are illegal on their end anyways. Labor is not supposed to be taxed, and what I do with another person is my damn business, not theirs.]

BTC-  3FofPhtcESndpyLTJTJEnpShdHgbN82pAz
minzie

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2013, 03:55:27 AM

If you are in the United States, you would likely be considered a money transmitter. There was a recent ruling by FinCEN:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=154686.0

There are quite a few others on the same topic. Here is a random web page on the topic:
http://bitcoinmagazine.com/fincen-bitcoin-users-not-regulated-exchanges-are/

Before anyone takes what I say too seriously, I am not a lawyer, but I have a related degree, so my analysis comes through my particular lens. I think it could be argued that if you are acting as an agent to convert money, or acting to 'exchange' monetary forms, you would need to be licensed. If you do enough reading on the FinCEN rulings, and take some time with reputable resources to understand exactly what the ruling means, then I think you should have a pretty good feel of what is legal or not. I think you may come to the same conclusion as I.

In reality, I doubt you need to worry about it. The only real threat that I can think of is some under-cover Treasury Official trying to buy Bitcoins for the sole purpose of prosecuting someone. In order for that to happen, someone would really need to have a bug up their ass over Bitcoins. I just don't seeing it happen.

Professional Freelance Web Apps Engineer ° Portfolio °  ModoBot Automated Trading Platform ° BitThingy ° My Github  ° Skype: cclites_1
TLW

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 05:17:42 AM

According to this,
http://www.fincen.gov/financial_institutions/msb/definitions/msb.html
you need to do at least $1000 per day to be considered a money service business.

Caveat: I am not a lawyer!  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: