Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:05:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Coinmarketcap a scam/fraud?  (Read 537 times)
arnsarns (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:27:05 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2018, 06:06:54 PM by arnsarns

I have been reading this forum for a while but I never posted here. But today's news made me say something. Today Coinmarketcap removed Korean exchanges to deduce the market cap without any clear notice in their website. This made a lot of people panic sale their bitcoins and altcoins and we experienced a huge drop. It makes me thinking why did they do that? I must be fool to think this is an honest mistake. They could have just put a notice up there in their website and avoid this but they didn't. They knew exactly what's gonna happen and they manipulated the prices.  Cry

Yes, the price will go back up soon and we all forget about this, because we'll be happy with our profits. But I am thinking right no, how fragile is this market that a website can manipulate it like that. This makes me worried about the future. This is not the first time this happened. Any tiny news could create a panic among people. This proves that others are hesitant about the future of the market and that's why they do panic sale. I think the only solution is to talk about this and see why we panic so fast?  Huh

Please let me know what you guys think about about Coinmarketcap and why people panic like that. This made me think for a while.  If you also think Coinmarketcap scammed people here, what is the solution and what is the alternative?

Edit:
Maybe I wasn't clear on why I used the word 'SCAM' here. Scams happen when a fraudulent scheme performed by a dishonest individual or company in an attempt obtain money or something else of value from others. For example, one possible theory is that CMC was paid by wales to inform them about this change before hand and also does not provide others a notice. Then the price drops and the wales enters and buy cheap coins and people who panic sale loose their money. This is just an example there are tons of ways you could have made money in this.

I think we should be informed and talk about scams because they are really hurting the market.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:33:45 PM

You think Coinmarketcap.com caused this dip?

Why do you think that?

enervey

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 04:37:49 PM

Traders big enough to move the market this much aren't making their trades based on CMC; they're watching the prices on their own exchange.
Mondays are typically bloody in crypto anyway - not too surprising.
arnsarns (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:40:37 PM

You think Coinmarketcap.com caused this dip?

Why do you think that?

It is easy to see the drop in their website which happened in a matter of a second. The drops are more gradual in exchanges. Also, people are talking about it everywhere:

https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2018/01/08/ripple-market-price-korean-exchange/
https://thebitcoin.pub/t/chaos-coinmarketcap-removing-korean-exchanges-in-coinprice/22179
https://twitter.com/JoelKatz/status/950242696848842752
https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/7ownsm/coinmarketcapcom_no_longer_counting_korean/
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:44:05 PM

You're giving too much credit to that website, it's just metrics.

Much bigger things are happening:

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/59w5eb/china-is-about-to-kill-nearly-all-bitcoin-mining-operations-in-the-world

sylance

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:55:29 PM

We throw the word 'scam' around way to much, to the point the word has lost all meaning.  I don't believe CMC is a scam but I do think they operate incompetently sometimes.  I use their site all the time but agree that removing Korean exchange volume with no announcement or warning is just irresponsible.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
luckylauncher

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:58:13 PM

Well, scam is not good to tell the condition right now. Incompentently is appropriate to tell them, and why people must believe and use CMC as their standard.
ItsEzMkay

Activity: 303
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:00:45 PM

It isn't coinmarketcap that is doing this but rather some news came out in South Korea that is causing these dips today read for yourself. I think that is why we have such a big correction today, carry on as always nothing to see here. https://themerkle.com/coinmarketcap-excludes-south-korean-prices-total-market-cap-drops-by-50bn/

Entei

Activity: 543
Merit: 281

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:02:46 PM

I understand your position, but we can admit that these accusations only happen in relation to Coinmarket, because it is the most visited site, any error is fatal, 92% of the investors of Bitcon and altcoins depend on that site, it's something to think about.
natasha-lev

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:03:28 PM

I have been reading this forum for a while but I never posted here. But today's news made me say something. Today Coinmarketcap removed Korean exchanges to deduce the market cap without any clear notice in their website. This made a lot of people panic sale their bitcoins and altcoins and we experienced a huge drop. It makes me thinking why did they do that? I must be fool to think this is an honest mistake. They could have just put a notice up there in their website and avoid this but they didn't. They knew exactly what's gonna happen and they manipulated the prices.  Cry

Yes, the price will go back up soon and we all forget about this, because we'll be happy with our profits. But I am thinking right no, how fragile is this market that a website can manipulate it like that. This makes me worried about the future. This is not the first time this happened. Any tiny news could create a panic among people. This proves that others are hesitant about the future of the market and that's why they do panic sale. I think the only solution is to talk about this and see why we panic so fast?  Huh

Please let me know what you guys think about about Coinmarketcap and why people panic like that. This made me think for a while.  If you also think Coinmarketcap scammed people here, what is the solution and what is the alternative?

Coinmarketcap can't affect the market as you say. Korean exchanges usually have higher prices at their exchanges (some coins are traded with premium) than other exchanges - this could be a possible answer.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:08:52 PM

I understand your position, but we can admit that these accusations only happen in relation to Coinmarket, because it is the most visited site, any error is fatal, 92% of the investors of Bitcon and altcoins depend on that site, it's something to think about.

How do you know it's the most visited site and in what manner investors in bitcoin and altcoins 'depend' on it?

Where did you get the 92% figure?

webtricks
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1728

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:14:08 PM

Please let me know what you guys think about about Coinmarketcap and why people panic like that. This made me think for a while.  If you also think Coinmarketcap scammed people here, what is the solution and what is the alternative?

How could something be called scam if no money is involved.  Huh

Well I don't consider CMC to be wrong here. The basic problem is the demographic of Crypto Investors. Most of the crypto investors are just noobs and path followers. Hardly 5-6% do real TA, rest just rely on market signals and eventually lose. We have population of investors who are ready to buy any shitcoin just on one call of 'McAfee's Coin of the Week'! I mean seriously, how could people be so dumb.

Rest CMC is private site, it keep doing amendments to provide accurate estimates. It removes outlier prices regularly. This may be the same case too. If you don't like, you can stop using it.
VitKoyn

Activity: 490
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:14:51 PM

I checked the twitter account of coinmarketcap just now and there are also some people complaining about it, they said that coinmarketcap really did removed south korean exchanges that is why the price chart of all cryptocurrency goes down especially Ripple because most of its volume comes from south korea. Most people use CMC to check the price of all cryptocurrencies (even myself) so I can say that this may be the big reason why the market are now crashing. I don't know why CMC did that, it's so disappointing. I thought it was just a price correction but its more likely a manipulation.
check out the comments on their twitter account here: https://twitter.com/CoinMarketCap/status/949694871299940352
silent17

Activity: 420
Merit: 119

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:20:11 PM

Yes you are right, I think that the news about china make the people go on panic buying and not the CMC. I also see this news 2hours ago but I'm glad the price of the bitcoin and other alt's are already going back to it's original price.
sirkings0003

Activity: 252

Telegram: https://t.me/ViolaAI

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:24:08 PM

This is really unfortunate. I know that this will definitely not continue like this. As a decentralized community, one sees this kind of thing from time to time. And being a new and developing industry, a lot of investors are still skeptical even after investing. So any little change in the market, whether influenced or not triggers panic.

LOVE on the Blockchain (Viola.AI): Telegram: https://t.me/ViolaAI | Website: http://bit.ly/Viola-AI-BitCoinTalk | Watch the CEO: http://bit.ly/MessagefromCEO | http://bit.ly/MessagefromCEO-CN
arnsarns (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:27:32 PM

How could something be called scam if no money is involved.  Huh

Well I don't consider CMC to be wrong here. The basic problem is the demographic of Crypto Investors. Most of the crypto investors are just noobs and path followers. Hardly 5-6% do real TA, rest just rely on market signals and eventually lose. We have population of investors who are ready to buy any shitcoin just on one call of 'McAfee's Coin of the Week'! I mean seriously, how could people be so dumb.

Rest CMC is private site, it keep doing amendments to provide accurate estimates. It removes outlier prices regularly. This may be the same case too. If you don't like, you can stop using it.

Obviously money is involved, Imagine how much money you could have made if you were CMC's staff, or image a Wale pays shit tons of money to CMC to not notice people before removing the Korean exchanges. Poor people who panic sale lost lots of money and after the dip wales show up and collect the chip coins... They are tons of ways they could have made money in this.

Don't forget, this is a 700 trillion  market. 10% or even 1% dip is huge and I am pretty sure so many less informed people have lost their money in this.
arnsarns (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:40:46 PM

Well, scam is not good to tell the condition right now. Incompentently is appropriate to tell them, and why people must believe and use CMC as their standard.
We throw the word 'scam' around way to much, to the point the word has lost all meaning.  I don't believe CMC is a scam but I do think they operate incompetently sometimes.  I use their site all the time but agree that removing Korean exchange volume with no announcement or warning is just irresponsible.

I edited the post so I have explained why I used word 'scam'. but either scam, fraud or any other thing, they were dishonest about the only job they have. I feel responsible to talk about it.
Beerwizzard

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:50:46 PM

As it was already said coinmarketcap could not cause this dump by its single action. If  you talk about scaming then imho it is a bit dishonest to calculate the average price index with the exchanges that could not be publicly accessed, that make market less healthy. Thanks got they were not calculating the rates fron nigerian or venezuelan exchanges that sometimes can be even twice biger than the ones from the US and EU. CMC should have done it a long time ago.
arnsarns (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:50:56 PM

Yes you are right, I think that the news about china make the people go on panic buying and not the CMC. I also see this news 2hours ago but I'm glad the price of the bitcoin and other alt's are already going back to it's original price.

You are right, news like that are in the nature of the market. But even of CMC cause 1% of a change here I like responsible and wanna talk about it so the new people know that CMC isn't the best source to check the prices.
cryptopussies

Activity: 196

HEXCASH - Decentralized Fun

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:58:19 PM

Coinmarketcap doesnt scam people but giving misinformation to the people causes panic selling at the market,yeah they are morelikey a manipulator but the word scam doesnt even fit.

Website            ◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇ VELOX ◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆       ◆ ANN Thread
Whitepaper     The Future of Anonymous Trading      ◆ Twitter       
Discord             ◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆       ◆ Telegram   
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: