Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:15:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GEOCACHE AFRICA 2018 UPDATE: Cache found!!!!!!  (Read 19253 times)
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:41:56 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2019, 08:40:00 PM by RodeoX
Merited by DarkStar_ (4), redsn0w (3), LoyceV (2), Danslip (2), vapourminer (1), malevolent (1), hopenotlate (1), eaLiTy (1), buwaytress (1), BitcoinGirl.Club (1), slaman29 (1), Coin-1 (1), AGD (1)

GEOCACHEAFRICA
Last year’s GEOCACHE ICELAND game was to draw attention to our beloved coin in a place shy about adoption. This year the contest continues in a new country on a new continent. I will update this post and this thread as events dictate. You have until the year 2019 to find this geocache and claim your prize of .1BTC . It’s just sitting there right now for anyone to pick up and in the coming days (weeks?) I will provide clues in this thread that will disclose the location of this paper wallet.
There are no rules, nothing to join, it’s not some kind of scheme. I am GIVING this money away as a stunt to draw attention to bitcoin’s potential in Africa. Anyone can play, you can even just take it anonymously if you want. Although I do offer an additional .001BTC for a picture and a tale of your adventure finding it.

So stay tuned! After trekking by 4-wheel drive for weeks, I’m a too strung out to post today and I still have to fund the wallet. But this week I will be posting more info and pictures.

Cheers,
RodeoX

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 04:33:19 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2018, 05:20:24 PM by RodeoX

I have sent .1 BTC to the paper-wallet pictured above. You can watch the address via this link : https://blockchain.info/address/1Q1fDcqMBFYFi6Qd6JDnRnNsRLwHBKtqwq

This paper wallet will stay funded until 2019 or until redeemed. If it is discovered the discoverer has instructions on how to move the bitcoin to an address he/she/they control. And they can receive an additional reward for sending back a photo and brief story. I'll certainly post it if they do.

I may also randomly be giving away more bitcoin or clues as part of the game. Not everyone who wants to participate can go to Africa, so I hope to make it interesting for a wider group. And don't forget to be creative.

Jou eerste wenk oor die ligging van hierdie Geocache.
Voor 1966 is hierdie nasie beheer deur sy buurman in die suide.

RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 06:33:22 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2019, 08:39:17 PM by RodeoX

First winner.  $20USD worth of bitcoin
User "bitart" has correctly identified the country that the geocache is located in and receives two prizes. He has received some bitcoin and he has been told what region of the country the cache is in. You can ask him to give away that info or maybe he'll sell it to you, or he'll post it here?

Nice job bitart!

Second winner.  $30USD worth of bitcoin
User "codewench" has won the second challenge by correctly identifying the tracker in the picture. He is a member of the Ju'/Hoansi San. Their knowledge of the Kalahari is unmatched. As with the first winner codewench also has been given a clue about the location of the cache.

Way to go codewench!

Third winner.  $25USD worth of bitcoin
User "CerealKing" has correctly identified the Leopard as the second largest cat in Africa. He has been paid, and he has received some other information about the location of the cache. Maybe he'll share it, sell it, keep it a secret?

Your the king CeralKing!

Fourth winner.  $25USD worth of bitcoin
User slaman29 has won the prize! But, as posted later in this thread, user Franky1 was the first to find the location of the sign and the location of the cache at it's base. Give him a big hug because he decided to post a few more clues and let the next correct answer win. Wow, is that being an altruist or what.  

Nice work... uh team? Franky1 and slaman29!

Fifth winner.  $375USD worth of bitcoin
Since the money has moved from the private key I left in Africa I assume it has been found! If you are the person who found it I will pay another 0.01BTC if you send me a picture and a brief story of how you did it. In any case congratulations are in order for someone.

bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 11:34:26 PM

First winner.
User "bitart" has correctly identified the country that the geocache is located in and receives two prizes. He has received some bitcoin and he has been told what region of the country the cache is in. You can ask him to give away that info or maybe he'll sell it to you, or he'll post it here?

Nice job bitart!
First, I'd like to thank you for the prizes! I'd like to share the second prize, the location information:
According to the location of the cache, the information I've received is the following:
"the cache is located in the Otjozondjupa Region of Namibia"
I hope that someone will find the hidden treasure and share the story with us Smiley
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:27:42 PM

I was fortunate to have time to go hunting with the best trackers in the world. The picture below shows us stopping to look at some tracks. But who are these people? The first person to post the name of these people wins a prize. There are several names that will work.
Good luck!

codewench

Activity: 93
Merit: 39

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 10:47:02 AM

But who are these people?

San or Khoisan people as seen in The Gods Must Be Crazy? Perhaps also called "Ju'/Hoansi bushmen", or maybe that's their language.

From Wikipedia: "The San or Saan people are members of various Khoisan-speaking indigenous hunter-gatherer people representing the first nation of Southern Africa, whose territories span Botswana, Namibia, Angola, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho[1] and South Africa."
codewench

Activity: 93
Merit: 39

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 11:50:13 AM

Thank you for the prize!

The clue I received has two parts. I'll reveal one part - it may be useful in solving the next puzzle(s):

The treasure is located far west and south of the current homeland of the Ju'/Hoansi San.

I'll keep the other part secret for now. It may be useful once someone gets boots on the ground to find the cache.
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 04:21:27 PM

Next challenge. What is the second largest cat in Africa? First response in this thread gets a prize and a clue.

CerealKing

Activity: 26
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 05:14:05 PM

Next challenge. What is the second largest cat in Africa? First response in this thread gets a prize and a clue.

Is it a Leopard?
CerealKing

Activity: 26
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 06:16:19 PM

Thank you Rodeo! I appreciate it! Really great forum, good luck to everyone else! Smiley
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 04:01:04 PM

Rodeox

its been a while since i was involved with any african promoting. back then i was not aiming at altcoins. nor was i aiming at the rich guys.
i was aiming at the unbanked/average population.

the summary of my experience was that bitcoin was not for them. (fee's were 95% of the problem)
where the majority were more interested in making their own crypto with low fee's and able to control volatility by having their own local swap shops(exchanges)

i am just wondering what are your 2018 findings specifically regarding bitcoin desire/utility (i already know the altcoin community is busy)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 09:15:22 PM
Merited by bitart (1)

Rodeox

its been a while since i was involved with any african promoting. back then i was not aiming at altcoins. nor was i aiming at the rich guys.

the summary of my experience was that bitcoin was not for them. (fee's were 95% of the problem)
where the majority were more interested in making their own crypto with low fee's and able to control volatility by having their own local swap shops(exchanges)

i am just wondering what are your 2018 findings specifically regarding bitcoin desire/utility (i already know the altcoin community is busy)

I think your observations then are still largely true. But things are changing rapidly where I was. Most people I met outside of the wilderness areas owned a smartphone and service was cheap. Basic plans start at about $2 and my full data plan was like $8. They have the hardware but not an exchange to buy at. Most exchanges are not likely to allow an account from an unbanked African person. So people were interested, but had no coin.
However, I still think the unbanked in the third world have a lot to gain from bitcoin. My hope is that it will spread by word of mouth or that stunts like I'm trying here will draw attention to this market. Perhaps it will be an African who finds this cache? We are winning the fight in the west, lets bring the rest of the world up with us. There is plenty of room on the moon. 

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 01:53:50 AM
Last edit: February 15, 2018, 02:08:16 AM by franky1

Rodeox

I think your observations then are still largely true. But things are changing rapidly where I was. Most people I met outside of the wilderness areas owned a smartphone and service was cheap. Basic plans start at about $2 and my full data plan was like $8. They have the hardware but not an exchange to buy at. Most exchanges are not likely to allow an account from an unbanked African person. So people were interested, but had no coin.
However, I still think the unbanked in the third world have a lot to gain from bitcoin. My hope is that it will spread by word of mouth or that stunts like I'm trying here will draw attention to this market. Perhaps it will be an African who finds this cache? We are winning the fight in the west, lets bring the rest of the world up with us. There is plenty of room on the moon.  

i understand and accept everything you say. smart phones and 4G/5G signals have bypassed the arguments about PC's and landline issues.. that was the positives back in my promoting days. that getting on the internet was not the biggest concern or much of an issue..
they actually laughed at the idea of phone companies spending billions to install cable to every house, like it was some out dated concept that they were proud to have skipped.

however the issue was about the transaction fee of just moving bitcoin. which is why there was alot of scepticism against bitcoin being useful.. but many then started talking about making their own local (alt)coins to compete against things like mpasa

i more recently re contacted a few contacts from the region who also feel that LN is not suitable either. as again to just get into a LN channel costs a fee and also its not as unlimited as previously promoted. so they still feel if something is going to happen it would b via an altcoin or a confederation of altcoins(IMF type of thing)

i seen you had pictures taken with "the natives" but have you done any investigation, promoting in the more modern-day villages/shanty town area's or even the cities

have you spoke with any mpesa stall owners about doing crypto, as i found they would have been the pivitol point of entry into people getting crypto. especially when they said it cost them $350-$1k just to set up a mpesa system but found out they could start exchanging crypto without all the mpesa delays/red tape(before the discussions moved onto bitcoin tx fee's which then dampened their mood)

as for the promo/stunts... back in my day i think i gave out about $1000 worth at that time ($400k at this weeks value), but left feeling that they just seen it as a one time handout eventhough i set a few of them up as if it could be a business.
analogy: i taught them how to fish but they just seemed more interested in the fish id give them when teaching them, than actually wanting to fish for themselves tomorrow

which is why im wondering if its worth me giving it another shot over there, or just slapping some bitcoin devs with rotton fish for disregarding the needs of the unbanked(low fee's onchain) that i feel is the root cause of not much african bitcoin adoption

im just asking to see if things have moved on from a couple years ago, or if its still the same initial optimism about bitcoin as if they never heard of it before you enquired, but then reluctance when finally trying it. (like i experienced)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Walrus1

Activity: 182
Merit: 20

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:27:52 AM

Nice you are doing this. Maybe you can do something to help raise awareness of the extinction of wild cats in Africa. Lions, tigers,leopards all of them are endangered. China plays a large part in this. I guess u are doing enough but it's a thought don't mean to put more on your plate
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 06:39:45 PM

i understand and accept everything you say. smart phones and 4G/5G signals have bypassed the arguments about PC's and landline issues.. that was the positives back in my promoting days. that getting on the internet was not the biggest concern or much of an issue..
they actually laughed at the idea of phone companies spending billions to install cable to every house, like it was some out dated concept that they were proud to have skipped.

however the issue was about the transaction fee of just moving bitcoin. which is why there was alot of scepticism against bitcoin being useful.. but many then started talking about making their own local (alt)coins to compete against things like mpasa

i more recently re contacted a few contacts from the region who also feel that LN is not suitable either. as again to just get into a LN channel costs a fee and also its not as unlimited as previously promoted. so they still feel if something is going to happen it would b via an altcoin or a confederation of altcoins(IMF type of thing)

i seen you had pictures taken with "the natives" but have you done any investigation, promoting in the more modern-day villages/shanty town area's or even the cities

have you spoke with any mpesa stall owners about doing crypto, as i found they would have been the pivitol point of entry into people getting crypto. especially when they said it cost them $350-$1k just to set up a mpesa system but found out they could start exchanging crypto without all the mpesa delays/red tape(before the discussions moved onto bitcoin tx fee's which then dampened their mood)

as for the promo/stunts... back in my day i think i gave out about $1000 worth at that time ($400k at this weeks value), but left feeling that they just seen it as a one time handout eventhough i set a few of them up as if it could be a business.
analogy: i taught them how to fish but they just seemed more interested in the fish id give them when teaching them, than actually wanting to fish for themselves tomorrow

which is why im wondering if its worth me giving it another shot over there, or just slapping some bitcoin devs with rotton fish for disregarding the needs of the unbanked(low fee's onchain) that i feel is the root cause of not much african bitcoin adoption

im just asking to see if things have moved on from a couple years ago, or if its still the same initial optimism about bitcoin as if they never heard of it before you enquired, but then reluctance when finally trying it. (like i experienced)
Franky I wish I could give you a glowing report on how bitcoin is on everyones mind. In fact it was confusing to most who had heard about it. I think a killer app is needed to make it simple and, as you mentioned, cheaper. Otherwise it only works well for larger purchases that the unbanked are less likely to make.  I did not bother with explaining all this to the San bushmen. They are choosing to live a very simple life without electricity. In the cities and towns there was some interest by businesses, but not a lot. I still think it will happen eventually. It is just too powerful an idea to avoid forever. Much like the internet itself.

Nice you are doing this. Maybe you can do something to help raise awareness of the extinction of wild cats in Africa. Lions, tigers,leopards all of them are endangered. China plays a large part in this. I guess u are doing enough but it's a thought don't mean to put more on your plate
I do have something like this in mind. It is really sad to see the last of the wildlife being exterminated in Africa. In Namibia they blame the Chinese mining executives who use their time in Africa to enrich themselves hiring criminal to shoot everything they can. And the San greatly despise the hunters who come to their land, shoot a giraffe, then cut the tail off for a souvenir. The rest is left to rot. Especially since they are forbidden from hunting them to just survive. 

Walrus1

Activity: 182
Merit: 20

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:49:11 AM

Franky I wish I could give you a glowing report on how bitcoin is on everyones mind. In fact it was confusing to most who had heard about it. I think a killer app is needed to make it simple and, as you mentioned, cheaper. Otherwise it only works well for larger purchases that the unbanked are less likely to make.  I did not bother with explaining all this to the San bushmen. They are choosing to live a very simple life without electricity. In the cities and towns there was some interest by businesses, but not a lot. I still think it will happen eventually. It is just too powerful an idea to avoid forever. Much like the internet itself.

I do have something like this in mind. It is really sad to see the last of the wildlife being exterminated in Africa. In Namibia they blame the Chinese mining executives who use their time in Africa to enrich themselves hiring criminal to shoot everything they can. And the San greatly despise the hunters who come to their land, shoot a giraffe, then cut the tail off for a souvenir. The rest is left to rot. Especially since they are forbidden from hunting them to just survive. 

that is heartbreaking
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 07:29:59 PM

For the next three days I will be posting pictures with huge clues. Here is the first. This is the cache just as I left it.

HashFace

Activity: 406
Merit: 114

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 07:47:45 PM

Really cool project.  I did some Geocaching with my kids years ago.  I look forward so seeing the upcoming clues and solution.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 08:59:28 PM

Nice try and a nice trick Rodeox, you are trying to get people killed either by cannibals or wild animals for 0.01 and not 0.1BTC. I wouldn't go out there to such a place, not even for 10 Bitcoins. because I couldn't have used any of it if I'm dead. even though I could right now buy a small apartment with 0.9-1.2BTC and practically live like a king for 3 years with 10BTC, because USD is scarce in my country and has 5 times more value than it had 5 years ago.
All because of sanctions.

Do you like wet trouts? it's a fish, you love fishes. one lol. I think it must have taught you a lesson by now that Bitcoin is not for the unbanked. if you are unbanked, that means that you don't need a bank. you should think about a banked nation but sanctioned from using the banks. not because they are terrorists killing people, because they wont submit to the wills of the west. they are the ones you should focus on helping.

🖤😏
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 02:01:36 PM

Nice try and a nice trick Rodeox, you are trying to get people killed either by cannibals or wild animals for 0.01 and not 0.1BTC. I wouldn't go out there to such a place, not even for 10 Bitcoins. because I couldn't have used any of it if I'm dead. even though I could right now buy a small apartment with 0.9-1.2BTC and practically live like a king for 3 years with 10BTC, because USD is scarce in my country and has 5 times more value than it had 5 years ago.
All because of sanctions.

Do you like wet trouts? it's a fish, you love fishes. one lol. I think it must have taught you a lesson by now that Bitcoin is not for the unbanked. if you are unbanked, that means that you don't need a bank. you should think about a banked nation but sanctioned from using the banks. not because they are terrorists killing people, because they wont submit to the wills of the west. they are the ones you should focus on helping.

I'm going to confidently guess that you have never been to Africa. Cannibals? LOL, come on man.  You know what's hot in Namibia? Country music, Anime, keeping a tidy lawn. Africa has radically changed in the last 30 years but America's knowledge of the region has not.
As far as the un-banked, they may well dominate bitcoin in coming years. Nobody has more to gain from the crypto revolution than the un-banked.
North America has peaked, Africa is ascending.

Here is another pic:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: