Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:34:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Assistance request for BTC noob  (Read 168 times)
Combidrill (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:18:56 PM

Bitcoin Client Software and Version Number: blockchain.info
Operating System: windows 10
System Hardware Specs: i5 7300HQ @ 2.5. 12 gb RAM
Description of Problem: stuck transaction for 29 days, this was sent using blockchain.info recommended fee which at the time was 6 sat/p/b. I realised this would never confirm so attempted cpfp but couldn't sign transaction. Exported wallet to ethereum 3.0.4 in the hope I could rbf but that option wasn't available. Shortly after that sent transaction that was highlighted in etherereum with a warning triangle disappeared. It is still showing when I search the blockchain through blockchain.info and trade block but has disappeared completely from ethereum. On blocktrail transaction is showing as 'removed/expired' under 'confirmations' but coins have not been returned. I realise this transaction will never confirm with the current fee which is why I attempted to rectify. Is the transaction lost, have I done something attempting cpfp or rbf? any advice appreciated

Any Related Transaction IDs:5de4d738788e5b21bfec4925765ebdadf92907c8e6de63a8cc9834f02d5a57d0

I realise now the mistakes I have made in choosing the wallet I did and how I was using BTC, I am hoping this hasn't cost me.

Thanks for any help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:35:31 PM

Bitcoin Client Software and Version Number: blockchain.info
Operating System: windows 10
System Hardware Specs: i5 7300HQ @ 2.5. 12 gb RAM
Description of Problem: stuck transaction for 29 days, this was sent using blockchain.info recommended fee which at the time was 6 sat/p/b. I realised this would never confirm so attempted cpfp but couldn't sign transaction. Exported wallet to ethereum 3.0.4 in the hope I could rbf but that option wasn't available. Shortly after that sent transaction that was highlighted in etherereum with a warning triangle disappeared. It is still showing when I search the blockchain through blockchain.info and trade block but has disappeared completely from ethereum. On blocktrail transaction is showing as 'removed/expired' under 'confirmations' but coins have not been returned. I realise this transaction will never confirm with the current fee which is why I attempted to rectify. Is the transaction lost, have I done something attempting cpfp or rbf? any advice appreciated

Any Related Transaction IDs:5de4d738788e5b21bfec4925765ebdadf92907c8e6de63a8cc9834f02d5a57d0

I realise now the mistakes I have made in choosing the wallet I did and how I was using BTC, I am hoping this hasn't cost me.

Thanks for any help.

Solution: resend the transaction with an appropriate fee from electrum.

You can try CPFP from electrum. You can not use an rbf double spend as you have to enable that in the wallet beforehand. I think it's automatically done in electrum but anything you sent on block chain can not have an rbf double spend done.
Combidrill (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:39:08 PM

thanks for the response, problem is ethereum wallet now cannot find that transaction, I search the txid through ethereum and if I try and load the tx with the txid I get 'daemon error no such blockchain or mempool transaction'
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:42:51 PM

There is no global mempool.
Each node has its own mempool, so even if a transaction is present in one node's mempool but not others, it could be marked as spent by your wallet .
Also, of its removed from one node's mempool, it could be present on the mempool of other nodes.

By "ethereum" I assume you mean Electrum.

Blockchain.info wallet transactions are not flagged as RBF, so you'll be unable to RBF them later.

If you're in possession of the private key of the receiving wallet, you can  do CPFP.
You can't CPFP from the sending address because there's no change (child) output.

If you're the RECEPIENT and have the private key/seed of that address then import it into Mycelium wallet for Android and make a CPFP transaction from there.
On the transaction tab, highlight the transaction, press the menu button and select "bump fee/ CPFP"
This will create a CPFP transaction and make both the parent and child transaction confirm.

If you're not in possession of the receiving address private key then you simply have to wait for up to 2 months or more for all nodes to drop the transaction from their mempool.
Combidrill (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:58:00 PM

sorry yes, electrum is what I meant.

Thank you for the comprehensive response, that is all understood. I do not have the private key for the recipient address so my option is to wait. Thank you for putting my mind at rest regards losing the transaction and I will wait for the coins to return.

If nothing else this has taught me to do more research before further use of BTC.

Thanks again for your help.

Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 06:17:21 PM

well congrats, it seems you successfully re-send the tx with higher fee
https://bitaps.com/e2db4fcb3151aa1a7154d1ee57fb08481acd1f75e20a5a92b05dec515bcecf4a
and surprisingly bc.info didn't mess up and showed transaction history correctly

Combidrill (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 07:15:37 PM

Evening, thank you, I am not sure how I was able to do this.....

I used the BiP39 tool to export my blockchain wallet to electrum, after posting on here I had resigned myself to wait.

I logged in again to Electrum and saw that the coins were available, I then checked the blockchain and saw the unconfirmed transaction still present, I logged into the blockchain wallet and saw the transaction still pending.

I opened Electrum and sent the transaction again with a higher fee as the coins were showing available, for about an hour both transactions were present when searching the Blockchain and showing as pending transactions in the blockchain wallet. As soon as the transaction with a higher fee confirmed the other transaction disappeared.

Does exporting a wallet with a stuck transaction to another wallet permit a double spend? I am unsure as to how I was able to double spend otherwise.

Xynerise

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 08:38:18 PM

Does exporting a wallet with a stuck transaction to another wallet permit a double spend? I am unsure as to how I was able to double spend otherwise.

Technically not a double spend because it wasn't confirmed.
So it breaks no consensus rules.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 08:49:40 PM

Technically not a double spend because it wasn't confirmed.
So it breaks no consensus rules.

Actually it is the same wallet so no such double spend ever occurred. A double-broadcast wouldn't give a false positive of a double spend as it is exactly the same a clone isn't a double spend. A double spend is a different output from the original one.
Combidrill (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 09:21:10 PM

My understanding was I was just changing the platform of my wallet rather than creating a new wallet. I appreciate if I had created a new wallet it would not have 'seen' my stuck transactions. The reason I mentioned doublespend is that is what the bitap link stated.

Could this be a rebroadcast as there are 2 txid, wouldn't a rebroadcast have to use the original tx?

original: 5de4d738788e5b21bfec4925765ebdadf92907c8e6de63a8cc9834f02d5a57d0
yesterdays:  e2db4fcb3151aa1a7154d1ee57fb08481acd1f75e20a5a92b05dec515bcecf4a

I do appreciate I have a very limited understanding of this, hence the questions. Thanks all for trying to help me understand.

Xynerise

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:22:43 PM

My understanding was I was just changing the platform of my wallet rather than creating a new wallet. I appreciate if I had created a new wallet it would not have 'seen' my stuck transactions. The reason I mentioned doublespend is that is what the bitap link stated.

Could this be a rebroadcast as there are 2 txid, wouldn't a rebroadcast have to use the original tx?

original: 5de4d738788e5b21bfec4925765ebdadf92907c8e6de63a8cc9834f02d5a57d0
yesterdays:  e2db4fcb3151aa1a7154d1ee57fb08481acd1f75e20a5a92b05dec515bcecf4a

I do appreciate I have a very limited understanding of this, hence the questions. Thanks all for trying to help me understand.

Relax, everything is fine.
You did what you were supposed to do correctly.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 10:30:52 PM

I called this tx a successful double spend attempt
not the actual double spent condition but a double spend technique to void the original unconfirmed tx

Actually it is the same wallet so no such double spend ever occurred. A double-broadcast wouldn't give a false positive of a double spend as it is exactly the same a clone isn't a double spend. A double spend is a different output from the original one.
it originated/used the same utxo and send to different outputs in 2 different txs
though only 1 is already confirmed and the other is dropped and treated as "double spend"
I don't believe there is a true double spend tx ever happened on one mainnet chain
if there is, then people would just leave bitcoin and never use it again

Combidrill (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:16:57 PM

Thanks all for the help and advice, problem solved and my understanding of this has improved. Much appreciated.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: