Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:53:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gems seems to be one of the most interesting ICO projects of 2018.  (Read 109 times)
mnemonicsoup (OP)

Activity: 200
Merit: 114

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:35:38 PM

Just stumbled upon this project. Has anybody here heard of it?

From their website:

"Gems is the protocol for decentralized mechanical turk. People will use Gems to complete micro tasks.

There are 3 levels to Gems:
Gems Protocol: The Gems Protocol assesses the validity of work and trust of network participants; DApps will be built on top of the Gems Protocol

Gems Platform: The first platform built off of the Gems Protocol; pairs workers and requesters for micro tasks.
Modules: Reusable open-source task interfaces built on the Gems Platform

Anyone can build on the Gems Protocol, creating innovative verification methods for new types of work. For a quick introduction to Gems, you can check out our blog post: https://blog.gems.org/introducing-gems-the-protocol-for-decentralized-mechanical-turk-8bd5ef29ca82. For a more in-depth exploration, you can read our white paper: https://gems.org/whitepaper.pdf.
What are micro tasks?

Micro tasks are small, simple tasks that require human judgment and can be completed independently over the Internet. Examples of micro tasks include labelling pictures and transcribing audio to text. You can read more about micro tasks in our blog post dedicated to them.
What problem does Gems solve?

Gems reduces consensus by redundancy, increases pay for individual workers while decreasing total pay for requesters, creates efficient interfaces, eliminates large fees, allows others to build innovative DApps on top of it, and enables computer literate workers with internet to work with or without a bank account."

So this project could really become a vital part in the future of the digital economy and help employees earn more than they do with amazon.

The founders both studied at Harvard, are Thiel fellows and were in the Forbes 30 under 30 list.

Really a project to look out for.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter1984

Activity: 28
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:11:44 PM

Thanks for the share, will check out their whitepaper.
sgkhatriv

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 04:16:02 AM

Years ago, I read the announcement of Amazon’s Mechanical Turk project, and was intrigued. At the time, I was running an E-Commerce development company, and had a potential contract that would have required my employees (OK, me, I didn’t have any employees yet) to manually resize and clean up about 25,000 merchandise photos.

I looked into “MTurk” for this, it seemed obvious that it could be just the thing for such a task. Nope! the interface was terrible then, and hasn’t improved a bit since then. Not only that, I would have had to pay a listing fee, and it was not at all clear to me how I’d ensure the quality of results that my client should expect. When it became clear to me that the actual workers would be receiving only about 2/3 of what I was paying, I dropped the idea.

So, I didn’t take the project, which would have brought in quite a lot of money if I could have just coordinated the big markup task.

That was then, this is now … or soon anyway.

Enter GEMS

GEMS is a decentralized microtask solution built on blockchain, which provides a system for microtasks.

Their whitepaper has this dense summary of the point of the project:

The Gems Network facilitates the extension and efficient operation of the micro task community by allowing organizations to reliably deploy micro task miners. The Gems Protocol, through validating task completions with the Gems Staking mechanism and enabling miners to have a reusable trust mechanism through the Gems Trust Score, enforces compliance of network participants. The Gems Protocol enables the creation of various platforms that are built on top of the Gems Protocol. Platforms that are created have no intrinsic fee imposed by the Gems Protocol, broaden the scope of the labor supply, and eliminate inefficiencies in the market place. Gems allows any application to utilize efficient online scalable workforces.
Let me unpack that a bit for you.

First, when they talk about “miners”, they mean the folks who actually carry out the micro-tasks. The GEMS protocol is cleverly set up to appeal to the many millions of people in the world who have access to internet, but not to banking. By itself, that feature will vastly expand the number of people interested in being part of that labor pool.

By “Staking”, they mean that the worker who submits a task completion, must also put a (usually tiny) portion of the contract payment into escrow as a “stake”. If their work is rejected by the verification step, they lose their stake. This gives a game theory enforced incentive for honesty.

The Gems Trust Score is the score given to each worker, based on their platform history. They’ve got a ton of math and graphs in the whitepaper explaining how it will work. However, my tl;dr version is “It will be difficult to build a high trust score quickly, to make it harder to spam junk work.”

By “Platforms”, they mean basically plug-in modules that work for various types of micro-tasks. The first such platform will be one for labeling data needed to train AI systems. I envision many more, such as translations, app testing, UI testing and surveys.

By making this part of their system modular, I think that the GEMS creators are trying to truly keep things decentralized, all the way to the core. It’s a great sign.

Conclusion

It’s an exciting project. I will be participating in the upcoming ICO, but more importantly, I will be waiting to use the system as it matures.
UZIzzzz

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 04:39:59 AM

Thanks for your sharing. I will pay attention to the white paper and technical route of this project. Do you have ANN threads?

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: