Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:36:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Smart to buy two RX 580 instead of one 1080 Ti ?  (Read 192 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Amstellodamois (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:58:23 PM

I've often read "decide which currency you want to mine and choose your GPU accordingly" here but I'm open to mining anything provided it will have a counterpart in dollars or bitcoins. And at that game, AMD cards seemed a bit more profitable.

Now that 1080 Ti are back in stock at some resellers, it makes sense to do a tiny bit of math.

The cheapest 1080 Ti I can find is 749 €.
The cheapest 8 GB RX 580 is 320 €. I chose an 8 GB one because its memory is 2 GHz and it will be more appealing on the used market when I sell it in a few months.

The nvidia should yield 6.75 € a day according to whattomine, which corresponds to 0.91%.
The AMD should yield 3.42 € a day according to whattomine, which corresponds to 1.07%.
That makes the AMD 18% more profitable.

Add the facts that the AMD is much more common (so upgrading the rig will be easier) and has a longer warranty, it makes it appear like the better deal to me.
I'm not afraid of tweaking the BIOS to extract everything I can from the little beast.

The only situation where imagine the nvidia to be more interesting would be with a huge rig: you could do 12 nvidias on one motherboard, you can't do 24 AMDs. But I'm planing small scale for now.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: And I don't think whattomine takes into account the dual mining possibility for which the AMD is a better candidate.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:18:52 PM

Okay let me give you something important to consider, 1 x gtx 1080ti will use a lot less electricity than 2 rx 580 and will be easier to manage and hassle free cause you will not need to do anything to increase its performance. I say for long term mining, a gtx 1080 ti is a much better option. Also take notice that eth is done for in few months, so equihash and other algos will much better with nvidia.]

So it works like this, buy a gtx 1080ti now or wait for the gtx 2080, other than that, dont waste your time.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Amstellodamois (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:29:50 PM

Okay let me give you something important to consider, 1 x gtx 1080ti will use a lot less electricity than 2 rx 580
That's taken into consideration in the calculation.

Point taken about the end of ETH (although I was expecting to come later).
Partizanai

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:35:46 PM

i would buy 2 rx instead of 1080ti, it will give you more profit, there are small coins on cryptonight algo which will give you ROI of 1-2 months on your investment
Cryptohminer

Activity: 45

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:45:49 PM

The nvidia should yield 6.75 € a day according to whattomine, which corresponds to 0.91%.
The AMD should yield 3.42 € a day according to whattomine, which corresponds to 1.07%.
That makes the AMD 18% more profitable.

You considered one factor and left many others...
After ROI, you will use more power , more space and half the profit. Think about it  Wink
Amstellodamois (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:49:38 PM

Again: power consumption is already taken into consideration by whattomine in the profit I wrote down. Except if whattomine is wrong, there's nothing to comment there. As for the space, I mentioned it as well but I'm going to start small with a few cards. Maybe in the future I'll replace 6 RX 580 by 10 GTX 1180 but for now, space doesn't matter.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 10:00:47 PM

Again: power consumption is already taken into consideration by whattomine in the profit I wrote down. Except if whattomine is wrong, there's nothing to comment there. As for the space, I mentioned it as well but I'm going to start small with a few cards. Maybe in the future I'll replace 6 RX 580 by 10 GTX 1180 but for now, space doesn't matter.

You need to understand that making calculations on whattomine right now is pointless right? I mean, eth was pumped and the difficulty will catch up in few days to weeks, which means profit will be at least 40% less than the calculation says, a gtx 1080 ti will always make more profit than 2 rx 580 and use less electricity and take less space and management is a lot easier and also is a high end gpu which will last longer. I mean, even 3 rx 580 would not win me over a single gtx 1080 ti but that is me and the people saying cryptonight, there is vega for that and nothing can compete with it on that. So I would leave cryptonight to vega. If i had a a rx 580 right now i would go for eth, not cryptonight.

Also pay attention that as eth was pumped all alts are overpriced until the difficulty catches up as eth is the command in chief of alts.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 10:24:17 PM

There's nothing worse than someone who asks for advice and then argues with the person giving it.  It sounds like your mind is already made up and you are just looking for confirmation;  Go buy the 580s because it sounds like that is what you want.  You probably have read newbies spout the idiotic mantra of finding the coin you want to mine and buy your gpu accordingly.  That is incredibly poor advice.

If you truly do want to weigh your options though, electricity is indeed a concern.  Not the cost, but the extra heat and noise it produces, and the larger PSU you will need.  I don't understand your comment about AMD being more common and upgrades easier.  Nvidia cards are much more common, and this forum is full of nightmare stories of people having all sorts of driver issues with AMD.  Lets also not forget you are buying a last generation GPU when you buy the 580.  As the Vega becomes more widespread, and Nvidia comes out with its next gen cards, I can assure you the 580s and 480s will fade off in the sunset.

By the way, as already mentioned, those whattomine stats change by the minute.  That said, you are looking at this in the most simplistic way possible.  You are making the rookie mistake of equating profit to ROI time.  Once you earn enough to pay off the card(s), how much would you rater earn?  6.75 or 3.42?
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 10:29:25 PM

A RX 580 would make 31 Mhash on Ethereum , 900 h/s Monero and about 330 Zcash. Keep in mind that 2 of these are 1800 h/s on Monero or 0.0007 BTC for 2 cards , 62 Mhash on Ethereum is 0.00065 BTC which are clearly better the Nvidia. These calculations are done after you have modified the bios of your cards which is very easy with Polaris BIOS editor One Click Timing patch option. The card  will consume 95 watt on Monero so 2 x 95 watt is 190 watt in total same electricity cost as Nvidia when you put power down to 70% through MSI afterburner.

I would opt for 2 x RX 580 8GB

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █