Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:38:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Know Your Customer  (Read 5754 times)
Dread Pirate Roberts

Activity: 1484
Merit: 326

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2018, 08:16:46 PM

Normally every business that is in cooperation with their finances is reasonable to do KYC. but KYC in the world of crypto I think it's quite new. because KYC has damaged the nature of the crypto itself. which is "anonymous transaction" but if the exchange has KYC rules and we want to be with him. just do it because maybe it's their obvious financial interest to avoid fraud and theft.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 08:36:36 PM

I don't have a personal problem with the KYC procedure but in the same time i ask my self what kind of measures do they acssualy take to protect the confidential info's from the hackers or any other criminal activity? I agree that we should know  where the money goes but we need protection to.
You should have a personal problem with know your customer policies, one of the strongest points of cryptocurrencies is the fact that you do not need to identify yourself to have a wallet or to send money around the world, governments are trying to suppress the anonymity that you were getting out of cryptocurrencies by forcing exchanges to apply those policies, they are trying to make it seem as if they are trying to protect the public but that is not the case they only care about themselves and about the possible consequences and effects that bitcoin could have in the economy the world.
cahbagus555

Activity: 756
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 01:10:07 AM

You know everything is reported to the government if the amount is big enough, it's very hard for a person to keep his identity hidden because every bank transaction is taken care of , and linked to your account.

There are people with black money who keeps it hidden and this is important to discover that the money is not black and someone isn't running from taxes.

Large amounts are reported by the banks, yes. It's the law. But do you think exchanges report say somebody sending $4,000 worth of a coin to their wallet, one time???

If i'm not make mistke, in exchange if we want to withdrawal over their limit like level 2 (usually over 5btc) they need our identity and selfie photo with our ID. But if we deposit, not matter over 5btc they dont needed.
But I think KYC already common right now even on ICO because its regulation by government

KYC because following government regulation. I think its good doing KYC because crytpocommunity can avoid abuse cryptocurrency doing illegal activity. Its always said that cryto always used for illegal activity and its not true because its depending on user
neonshium

Activity: 1134
Merit: 515

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 06:17:48 AM

I don't have a personal problem with the KYC procedure but in the same time i ask my self what kind of measures do they acssualy take to protect the confidential info's from the hackers or any other criminal activity? I agree that we should know  where the money goes but we need protection to.
You should have a personal problem with know your customer policies, one of the strongest points of cryptocurrencies is the fact that you do not need to identify yourself to have a wallet or to send money around the world, governments are trying to suppress the anonymity that you were getting out of cryptocurrencies by forcing exchanges to apply those policies, they are trying to make it seem as if they are trying to protect the public but that is not the case they only care about themselves and about the possible consequences and effects that bitcoin could have in the economy the world.
Know your customer is the key of success. If you do not know the needs of your customer you will never be a good and successful businessman. Customers are everything for suppliers because all the productions are for sale and for sale you should keep yourself touch with your customers. Then you would be able to improve your business and will be a good entrepreneur.
stellgod

Activity: 659
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 06:34:57 AM

You know everything is reported to the government if the amount is big enough, it's very hard for a person to keep his identity hidden because every bank transaction is taken care of , and linked to your account.

There are people with black money who keeps it hidden and this is important to discover that the money is not black and someone isn't running from taxes.

Large amounts are reported by the banks, yes. It's the law. But do you think exchanges report say somebody sending $4,000 worth of a coin to their wallet, one time???

If i'm not make mistke, in exchange if we want to withdrawal over their limit like level 2 (usually over 5btc) they need our identity and selfie photo with our ID. But if we deposit, not matter over 5btc they dont needed.
But I think KYC already common right now even on ICO because its regulation by government

KYC because following government regulation. I think its good doing KYC because crytpocommunity can avoid abuse cryptocurrency doing illegal activity. Its always said that cryto always used for illegal activity and its not true because its depending on user
Yeah I also not agree with this, but we should also realize that some people are using crypto for illegal activities. Investment in crypto is the easiest way to hide black money and they will never be caught because cryptocurrency are decentralized and the government has nothing to do with it. Therefore it is the safest way to keep black money.
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 05:48:16 PM

If anyone is sharing his KYC details then he should not expect that governments won't get any information about his investment in that particular exchange. In order to carry the operations smoothly, even Mark Zuckerberg have to satisfy government and when it comes to crypto companies, things are even complicated and as we all know that governments are not a fan of crypto so they will anyhow try to monitor and regulate this stuff.
adzino
Copper Member

Activity: 2968
Merit: 574

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 06:01:42 PM

You should have problem since KYC collects all your personal information, thus losing your anonymity and the coins somewhat losing a part of its decentralization. All your financial transactions will be tracked and you will have to pay your taxes from the capital gains. Why do we have to pay the government for something they have no interest on or has no control over?

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
AbyssLagiaz

Activity: 185
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 06:10:35 PM

Not really that way. It doesn't respect the privacy of the participators on how much do they want to invest. Will the establishment take advantage of the participator who just invested a bulk amount? Know Your Customer, at least in my area, aims to verify that the receiver or the sender is really cleared out of any bad records like for example that your license could be confiscated when you made an offense to the law disallowing you to make any transaction that could lead into any shady things. I don't think government would really watch where the money led into, but rather verify the transaction parties out there.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 06:10:54 PM

You should have problem since KYC collects all your personal information, thus losing your anonymity and the coins somewhat losing a part of its decentralization. All your financial transactions will be tracked and you will have to pay your taxes from the capital gains. Why do we have to pay the government for something they have no interest on or has no control over?

I don't fully agree with your statement. I think it's fair that a certain part of your income gets taxed by the government. I mean, the government also provides us with public services, which are paid for by our taxes.
Treating cryptocurrency as assets seems like the most fair way to get taxes from them. Meaning, you only pay taxes when you convert crypto to fiat.

The problem I do have with KYC is that your data is potentially being handled insecurely. Imagine if the entire database of ID-copies is hacked and you become a victim of identity theft...
I doubt that every exchange has impenetrable security, we've seen enough exchanges get hacked in the past.

GamblingPurveyor

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 05:58:07 AM

I understand the need to control what happens on the financial market and the need to respect the law, but I think that it's really dangerous to give your full data and a copy of your passport to an unknown entity.
Think about what can do with them. Am not a supporter of kyc especially when it comes to the case of ico.
waichi

Activity: 359
Merit: 100

Reinventing Decentralised Finance on BSC

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 06:32:02 AM

If the exchange is being taxed by the government, then all of the money transfers are being reported to the government. The purpose of KYC is to avoid money laundering. We all know money laundering is prohibited by law.

███ TWITTER Udego Finance WHITEPAPER ███
███ ANN Reinventing Decentralised Finance on BSC FACEBOOK PAGE ███
███ TELEGRAM AMM MEDIUM ███
rommelo24
Copper Member

Activity: 364
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 06:40:39 AM

For exchanges, ICOs that collect KYC information, when are they required to send information to the government.

If I remember correctly, in the US if you make a money transaction, such as through Western Union, or bank, $3,000+, within the same day, or smaller amounts during consecutive days, the institution must collect your ID information and Social Security and report it to the government. I forget which entity of the government.

Does that mean that if one participates in an ICO and puts in over $3,000, that gets reported to the government? Or if you move $3,000 out of an exchange, that gets reported?
I think they are requiring KYC for investors with certain amount of money is for them to monitor their clients and prevent money laundering act. I remember a certain ICO that requires KYC for investors with $10K and above investment because they said that their lawyers advise them to.
bettercrypto

Activity: 1330
Merit: 268

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2018, 08:49:06 AM

For exchanges, ICOs that collect KYC information, when are they required to send information to the government.

If I remember correctly, in the US if you make a money transaction, such as through Western Union, or bank, $3,000+, within the same day, or smaller amounts during consecutive days, the institution must collect your ID information and Social Security and report it to the government. I forget which entity of the government.

Does that mean that if one participates in an ICO and puts in over $3,000, that gets reported to the government? Or if you move $3,000 out of an exchange, that gets reported?
It is not the real purpose of KYC. We passed our identity because there are certain circumstances that the ICO we have participated to verify. Like our residency, some ICO needs to verify that their investors are not citizen where their project prohibited. If you don't have nothing wrong to do, you will not fear to pass it and if you don't want to pass your identity then do not join in ICO who required KYC.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Martinkuhn

Activity: 161
Merit: 1

0xf54CA5618b90810722B0e833DC150a97743A40B4

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 10:53:57 AM

While KYC's main purpose is to ensure that the ICO team do not issue token to people in jurisdiction that are not supposed to take part in their ICO, and to also make sure that they are aware of exactly who is buying into the ICO (so that the ICO can adhere to govt rules and be able to do business in the jurisdiction they are in), one of the other good purpose of KYC is also to be a AML measure too.

M E D I C H A I N ¦ The Medical Big - Data Platform ¦ M E D I C H A I N (https://medichain.online/)
 SAVING LIVES WITH BLOCKCHAIN
sebuh lemaratos

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 01:12:49 PM

I don’t think we should even worry about such things when it comes to Bitcoin and all these ICO stuffs, cause Bitcoin is all about privacy. Such things are only required when it comes to bank and other offline activities that mostly has to do with money.
I do not know, I'm also disappointed ico who uses kyc, but I joined here because I think crypto strongly supports privacy secrets, but I can not do anything
waqasniaz007

Activity: 406
Merit: 121

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 01:47:07 PM

Many of investors invested more than $10k in single ico and they did not get reported, Kyc documents are only for security purpose. Many investors invested huge amount, Still we do not know is it save to give personal data to these ico, ICOs should give security of our documents.
BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 07:49:43 PM

I don’t think we should even worry about such things when it comes to Bitcoin and all these ICO stuffs, cause Bitcoin is all about privacy. Such things are only required when it comes to bank and other offline activities that mostly has to do with money.
You should get worried about it, because in my opinion this is just beginning it is very possible that in the future governments approve laws in which it is required to identify yourself every time you make a transaction in a blockchain and if merchants begin to cooperate with the authorities then is possible that bitcoin could get adopted worldwide but we will lose any kind of anonymity while we are using it, in my opinion that it will be a very hollow victory for bitcoin, if we want to change the way the world works bitcoin needs to remain as it this and not to become another arm of the government.
jak3
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 08:13:00 PM

I do not think that they can hide from banks but as we have already seen many ico campaigns run with a digital cryptocurrency so in that sense, there is some layer of security but in the end, they cannot hide from the government. They do not have a fully automated system like Bitcoin and even if they have then they will have the same problems like Bitcoin so to minimize those problems we see some new problems in the market that is banks.
astrid.uchiha24

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 08:20:45 PM

I understand the need to control what happens on the financial market and the need to respect the law, but I think that it's really dangerous to give your full data and a copy of your passport to an unknown entity.
Think about what can do with them. Am not a supporter of kyc especially when it comes to the case of ico.

if you don't want this kind of law/regulation just avoid or keep yourself away on it. to be honest we can't do anything about that since government can impose punishment for those people who dont follow the rules and regulation so if you don't want to disclose any information to unknow entity just avoid it Smiley

☁   Casper API   ☁
Platform for DApp developers for decentralized data storage around the world
Telegram Facebook www.casperproject.io Github Twitter ANN
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 08:23:51 PM

You should get worried about it, because in my opinion this is just beginning it is very possible that in the future governments approve laws in which it is required to identify yourself every time you make a transaction in a blockchain and if merchants begin to cooperate with the authorities then is possible that bitcoin could get adopted worldwide but we will lose any kind of anonymity while we are using it, in my opinion that it will be a very hollow victory for bitcoin, if we want to change the way the world works bitcoin needs to remain as it this and not to become another arm of the government.

Valid concern for sure. In current times with regulations becoming more and more a normal thing, the centralization aspect fiercely starts overruling everything we care about. Bitcoin becoming mainstream has definitely two sides to it, where the price keeps increasing as result of that, which everyone rightfully considers to be a positive development, but we also more and more lose grip of what we do and how we operate. It's impossible to achieve something without sacrificing anything. No pain no gain they say, and I agree with that. Good thing however is that if we so wish, we can still avoid dealing with the regulations the centralized ecosystem is subject to. If we at some point manage to create local crypto economies within each country, we don't have to deal with fiat, and thus don't have to deal with a large part of the regulations. It needs a mindset change globally, but it isn't impossible.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: