Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:17:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Geopolitical and Cryptoeconomical Implications of Bitcoin in 2018  (Read 120 times)
krishnapramod (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 05:13:47 AM

The last year has been one crazy ride for Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies. Too many bubble theories and forks, from China ban to Jamie Dimon, Venezuelan/African crisis, IMF chief, Christine Lagarde warned cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin could cause massive disruptions and might just give existing fiat currencies and monetary policy a run for their money and Bitcoin futures. It wouldn't be wrong to assume that 2018 will be about Bitcoin disruption, nothing to do about price predictions, but more about geopolitical and cryptoeconomical implications.

1. Bitcoin is going to be a topic of debate on the coming G20 summit, a meeting between the European Union and 19 of the wealthiest nations.

2. From technological perspective, Segwit adoption would increase as major wallets/exchanges would be upgrading to Segwit by the first quarter of 2018. This is necessary if Bitcoin needs to remain competitive. Secondly, lightening network, no ETA yet, but if it gets activated in 2018 then it would establish Bitcoin as a reliable medium of exchange and could lead to big developments in Bitcoin e-commerce.

3. Mark Zuckerberg said Facebook will be looking into cryptocurrency in this year, nothing specific about Bitcoin.

There are important counter-trends to this — encryption and cryptocurrency — that take power from centralized systems and put it back into people's hands," Zuckerberg wrote in his 2018 mission statement, issued on Thursday. "But they come with the risk of being harder to control. I'm interested to go deeper and study the positive and negative aspects of these technologies, and how best to use them in our services."

4. Bitcoin established itself as a safe haven/store of value in 2017 and it's not going to change in 2018 as it might get more traction as the political and economical crisis in hyperinflationary countries like Venezuela, Zimbabwe, and Argentina worsen to the point where we may even see one of these countries adopting Bitcoin as its reserve currency, a possibility.

5. Last year ended on a high with Bitcoin futures and this year SEC might even approve a Bitcoin ETF.

6. We would possibly see a few governments coming up with their own centralized cryptos this year and also some nations officially recognizing Bitcoin, possibility of bans can't also be ignored.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hexah

Activity: 728
Merit: 265

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 05:24:59 AM

Well I am looking forward from the perspective on the number 2 in the list and if that will gonna happen there will be a massive increase again for Bitcoin. As you per mention on Mark Zuckerberg looking into cryptocurrency I think he might be supporting hes own  crypto coin and I think it will relate on his Facebook invention, Facebook coin/token maybe.

I am irritated by some government endorsing their own centralized coins when in fact maybe that would only create some distrust by some investors. I have no grudge for a centralized one but if for all decentralized would be good to invest for.
Omega Weapon

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 12:10:57 AM

Well I am looking forward from the perspective on the number 2 in the list and if that will gonna happen there will be a massive increase again for Bitcoin. As you per mention on Mark Zuckerberg looking into cryptocurrency I think he might be supporting hes own  crypto coin and I think it will relate on his Facebook invention, Facebook coin/token maybe.

I am irritated by some government endorsing their own centralized coins when in fact maybe that would only create some distrust by some investors. I have no grudge for a centralized one but if for all decentralized would be good to invest for.
A centralized coin made by a government is a fraud, they are never going to create something like bitcoin, and even if they did there is no guarantee they are not going to change the rules eventually very similar to what happened to the gold standard, so there is going to be a lot of people that are going to be deceived by that but not us since we support decentralized coins.

pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 03:01:58 AM

Why would a centralized coin backed by a government be fraud? Will they claiming that it is decentralized? I dont think so.

I think centralized, government backed coins, that has a public ledger and that could be audited by third parties would be better than most of the scamcoins out there.
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 11:56:49 PM

1. Bitcoin is going to be a topic of debate on the coming G20 summit, a meeting between the European Union and 19 of the wealthiest nations.

I wonder how our fearless world leaders will discuss bitcoin when all of them are computer illiterate and know absolutely nothing about bitcoin, cryptography, decentralization or any of the relevent topics on hand?

That could be the most interested thing about that meeting.

Somehow I get a feeling people believe politicians are educated on computers or any of the relevent topics when it comes to subjects like bitcoin. That blind faith in strangers--people you don't know and have never met, can be very dangerous. :/

Would be nice to have a few more checks and balances as far as politics go.
Omega Weapon

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:55:32 AM

I wonder how our fearless world leaders will discuss bitcoin when all of them are computer illiterate and know absolutely nothing about bitcoin, cryptography, decentralization or any of the relevent topics on hand?

That could be the most interested thing about that meeting.

Somehow I get a feeling people believe politicians are educated on computers or any of the relevent topics when it comes to subjects like bitcoin. That blind faith in strangers--people you don't know and have never met, can be very dangerous. :/

Would be nice to have a few more checks and balances as far as politics go.
They do not need to understand bitcoin, they are smart enough to understand that bitcoin is going to affect their interests and the way they run things, that is why they are worried but without an understanding of bitcoin they are going to try to take measures to stop bitcoin, so it seems obvious that we are going to see even more regulations against cryptocurrencies.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: