Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 05:07:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Android Mini PC and Block Erupters  (Read 1901 times)
snuff (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 05:41:14 PM

I have been wanting to get into mining as a hobby for a while now, and since BEs have come down a good bit recently I have been thinking much more about it. I've been reading a lot about using a Raspberry Pi with BEs since I don't want to use my laptop.

After reading about that it made me wonder if a Android mini pc could do the job, specifically a Imito MX2( http://www.amazon.com/iMito-MX2-Android-Rockchip-Bluetooth/dp/B00BUK5F86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376154162&sr=8-1&keywords=imito+mx2 ) since I already have one. Are there any android apps for mining that BEs would work with? I'm assuming no but wanted to ask.
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 09:01:18 PM

Can you install linux on it is the main relevant question. Or just get an Rpi.
rifter390

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 09:11:22 PM

Not to deter you from a new hobby but the reason those things are falling in price is because one BE is mining less btc each and every day. The more people that mine for btc the harder it is and in turn your BE will generate less and less each day and one BE don't do much to start with. If you are truly going to do it as a hobby then fine, but i think your 60 dollars would be better spent on something else.

Edit. I too am new to the mining and am treating it as a hobby...for what its worth. Back to your question its like tom said, if it can run linux and u can plug your usb miner into it then I would assume you can make it work.
snuff (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 09:29:50 PM

You can install Linux on them. At least I know of some that have Linux running on them and since most mini pcs are pretty much the same I assume mine could. But I was hoping I could use it as is since I'm happy with it as it is as far as browsing the internet, watching movies etc. If I have to install Linux I'll probably just get a R PI.

And it would just be for fun, I dont expect to turn a profit I really just want to play around with it for a while. Also thinking of starting with at least 4 BEs.

Honestly I'm pretty sure I will eventually get tired of it which is another reason I was wondering if my MX2 would work with them so all I would have to buy is the Block Erupters a usb hub and a fan.

So no way to make them work with android?
rifter390

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 09:38:33 PM

As far as i know its a matter of being able to run the software for the miners. The software that gets installed on an OS being linux, windows, mac. etc.
snuff (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 02:58:25 AM
Last edit: August 11, 2013, 05:31:27 AM by snuff

Are there any android apps for mining that BEs would work with? I'm assuming no but wanted to ask.

I know there are mining apps for android but assumed they wouldn't work since they are most likely designed for phones, but wasn't sure. Thought someone here might know more about it.

It would be nice if it would work. These things are almost as cheap as the Rpi and don't need any work to get them up and running.

EDIT: I just looked through the play store again and found an app called Easy Miner by Butterfly Labs. It looks like it might do what I want but its only for the Nexus 7. Even if I could trick it into believing my device was one I'm not sure it would work.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 05:29:24 AM

I had a MK802 II that I put linux on, installed the dependencies, and compiled CGMiner with no problems. I ran my BFL FPGA Single on it for like 8 months with no issues. I could SSH into it and check on the status, and my uptime was usually weeks at a time. I usually restarted it when I installed updates (which is when I would update CGMiner), but I don't think it ever crashed or had any issues. It was really slick, and used like 3W, which was powered off the powered USB 3.0 hub which was then plugged into it, and the USB miner plugged into the hub. It worked with the Single, and I think it would work on a USB ASIC, as long as the hub could power it.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: