Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:04:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: government opening my packages?  (Read 4661 times)
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 08:50:05 PM

i ordered some silver from amagi metals using bitcoin. when i received the package it was all ripped on the side. it was barely held together, when i turned the box to the side and the weight of the sliver fell on the damaged side of the box the weight of the silver was enough to push the box open. its a wonder that it made it all the way to my house in that condition and i highly doubt that amagi is doing such a shitty job packing their products. also on the front of the box there is a red dot. here are pictures.

I'm sure people at the post office open packages all the time while looking for valuables to steal but my package was full of valuable so it couldn't be that.

are they spying on me? am i on some super secret list government list because I'm a vocal anarchist? or is that not the proper application of occams razer? does someone know a better explanation? is it more likely that amagi just did a shitty job packing my order? what do you guys think?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2013, 09:26:49 PM

Did you call Amagi first and ask them about it before jumping to these conclusions? LOL Cheesy

Granted, even I'm paranoid these days because let's face it, at best in our governments eyes we're practising Anarchists building our own communities. At worse we're financial terrorists usurping their perspective currencies. Just because of that though I wouldn't let that kind of thing worry you, if they're a fairly small company then they might be just re-using old packaging to save money or they made a mistake with your order etc. etc. any number of things could have happened in transit or during packing.

It's sad to admit but with the current level of competency I've seen from a lot of Bitcoin companies lately it's safer to assume someone botched your packaging somehow, if it looked like it had fell through the packaging someone might have had to patch it up on the move.
rifter390

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 09:30:40 PM

Did the package have to cross any borders? If it had to make it by customs they do open random packages but they will leave note saying it had been opened and inspected and if they took anything. They also have special tape to reseal...anyway its quite obvious
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 09:37:04 PM

Did the package have to cross any borders? If it had to make it by customs they do open random packages but they will leave note saying it had been opened and inspected and if they took anything. They also have special tape to reseal...anyway its quite obvious

When I ordered a package before, it had a big red sticker on it saying "INSPECTED" and a letter inside saying it was for a security check.

OP, maybe you should send a quick email to the company you ordered it from.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 09:50:58 PM

If you recieve a large number of packages, every so often a package of yours will be opened by the Post office to make sure you aren't peddling drugs or something like that. I used to get 3-4 packages per day, and every few weeks I'd have one that was opened and resealed. Never had anything go missing though.
vehementchrome

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 11:14:33 PM

It could be something as innocuous as being banged up from shipping, but please let us know OP if the company you ordered this from has any information explaining the package's state.

Devtome | Spelunky Guide
BTC: 1FPKfkTUTBir2rnBnWhjPdzGrcerz11P4R
DVC: 17WNPSjjBxQF7gkQiFNe1yoZ1DaSgztM7K
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 12:34:56 AM

Did you call Amagi first and ask them about it before jumping to these conclusions? LOL Cheesy
i sent them an email and i didnt jump to any conclusions. notice the question mark at the end of the title of the thread.

It's sad to admit but with the current level of competency I've seen from a lot of Bitcoin companies lately it's safer to assume someone botched your packaging somehow
yea your probably right

no border crossings.

It could be something as innocuous as being banged up from shipping
i thought of this also but if it was dropped it would be dented. it just looks torn as if someone opened it and tried to reseal it.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
DumbFruit

Activity: 433
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 08:10:31 PM

It's bad packaging. There's no tape along the short sides, Amagi needs to start taping all sides. Apmex does this.

Whether or not someone was snooping is up for question precisely because of said bad packaging.

By their (dumb) fruits shall ye know them indeed...
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 08:25:50 PM

It's bad packaging. There's no tape along the short sides, Amagi needs to start taping all sides. Apmex does this.

This.  You notice where box gapped opened there is no tape.  It isn't like there was tape and it ripped, or was cut clean.  There was no tape.  It is the original box, w/ original shipping label, and all the original tape and the shipper left two sides untaped. 

That is why the box is partially open.  You are lucky the contents didn't fall out because the shipper likely would show proof it was delivered and assume you were just lying to get free metal.
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 01:21:31 PM

This.  You notice where box gapped opened there is no tape.  It isn't like there was tape and it ripped, or was cut clean.  There was no tape.  It is the original box, w/ original shipping label, and all the original tape and the shipper left two sides untaped. 

That is why the box is partially open.  You are lucky the contents didn't fall out because the shipper likely would show proof it was delivered and assume you were just lying to get free metal.

If Amagi Metals isn't going to prepare their packages properly, hopefully they are at least competent and responsible enough to insure their packages.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 01:36:39 PM

I've had the sides of some of my heavier parcel's ripped open before, probably nothing to worry about. Also worked in a postal sorting office and can tell you that parcels just get thrown about, even if they say 'fragile' on them. There's so many items being processed that there's not enough time to sort them carefully, they just get thrown into the relevant trolley.
Bitweasil

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 03:09:47 PM

That's rubbish.  My orders from Amagi have been much, much better packed, to the point that the box was nearly entirely encased in the fiber packing tape.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 04:21:24 PM

That's rubbish.  My orders from Amagi have been much, much better packed, to the point that the box was nearly entirely encased in the fiber packing tape.

My orders have been packed very well too. Box in box surrounded in fiber packing tape.

Some orders may be dropped-shipped?

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 04:24:32 PM

are they spying on me? am i on some super secret list government list because I'm a vocal anarchist?

Maybe.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=249773.0

http://boingboing.net/2013/07/03/bookstore-owner-was-victim-of.html

BTC Long.
Bitweasil

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 05:14:18 PM

My orders have been packed very well too. Box in box surrounded in fiber packing tape.

Some orders may be dropped-shipped?

That's not a drop shipped order.  The AMI return label is from them directly.  I've received drop shipped stuff before from them and it was rather obvious (but also well packed).

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:12:28 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2013, 08:35:18 PM by DeathAndTaxes

If Amagi Metals isn't going to prepare their packages properly, hopefully they are at least competent and responsible enough to insure their packages.

Generally insurance doesn't cover "missing" goods if the recipient takes delivery.  If it did, fraud would be pretty trivial.  Insure an empty box for $10,000, deliver empty box.  Claim box was empty but should have $10,000 in gold in it.  Collect $10,000 paycheck.
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:31:14 PM

for 50 dollars  Roll Eyes

Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:37:59 PM

Report in AgoraCommodities thread says that they tape all the sides, and their prices are better anyway with no 1% "bitcoin processing fee."

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
amagimetals

Activity: 519
Merit: 501

:|: AmagiMetals :|: AnthemGold :|: HERC :|:

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 02:54:22 AM

Report in AgoraCommodities thread says that they tape all the sides, and their prices are better anyway with no 1% "bitcoin processing fee."

Their prices aren't better, especially when you include shipping. Normally we tape all sides. We have hired additional staff over the last few weeks and have been training them on shipping so I think a few were not taped all the way around. This issue was addressed though.

If a postal inspector has reasonable doubt of a shipment having illegal contents I think they must get a warrant before opening a package. They normally carefully open it and document it in such a way that they can duplicate the way the shipment was packaged so that they can reseal it without it looking like it had ever been opened in the first place.

AmagiMetals.com is a global eCommerce precious metals retailer and advocates for free markets, free choice, financial responsibility, and sound money.
Join us on: Facebook - Twitter - Google Plus
Bitweasil

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 04:02:28 AM

My recent package was cocooned in fiber tape quite well.  I usually just go straight to the box cutter to get in.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: