Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 07:17:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What you think about: is it worth?  (Read 101 times)
Zero0d (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 04:20:56 PM

Hi all,

is it worth to lower the consumption of all other components of the Mining RIG except GPU ?

Exsample: lower the consumption of CPU+RAM+DISK+MOBO from 100W or 200W to 10W ?

Also to get the upper parts for about 100€ ?

How much will we gain if we do this modification? ( we assume that the configuration can max support 4 GPU cards).

Best Regards and looking forward for your opinions and thoughts Cheesy
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2018, 04:30:45 PM

Hi all,

is it worth to lower the consumption of all other components of the Mining RIG except GPU ?

Exsample: lower the consumption of CPU+RAM+DISK+MOBO from 100W or 200W to 10W ?

Also to get the upper parts for about 100€ ?

How much will we gain if we do this modification? ( we assume that the configuration can max support 4 GPU cards).

Best Regards and looking forward for your opinions and thoughts Cheesy

Yes, for a dedicated mining rig, it is better to reduce the power necessary for components that make no direct contribution to your hashrate (and thus revenue stream). If CPU-mining isn't something you're interested in, it's included there.

If you already have the components, you're more limited in what you can do to decrease their power consumption (adjusting clock/power settings, keeping the rig idle, disabling unnecessary functions). However, when buying new components, you can look things such as lower-end processors. (This is why most dedicated mining rigs that are not used for CPU mining have Pentiums or Celerons, and not the AMD FX9590.) Do note that the power consumption of CPUs is still substantially below their TDP when idle, so you cannot determine your power savings simply by comparing TDPs.

Your exact cost savings depend on your power costs, and this determines if it might be worth paying more for efficient equipment.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 04:53:00 PM

This is a very simple math problem but whether the results justify the expense is up to you to decide.

Multiply the power savings, in Watts, by the rate you are charged for electricity, usually given in kW-h (kilowatt-hours), then divide that number by 1000 to get the savings per hour of operation; multiply that number by 24 to find the savings per day, obviously.

Now divide the premium in price paid for these savings by the hourly (daily, whatever) savings rate to find out the payback time.

For example, electricity costs me $0.11 per kW-hr so saving 100W would reduce my cost by $0.011 per hour, or $0.264 per day. If that savings cost me $120 then it would take ~454 days to pay it back.

I don't know about you, but that payback period is so long I wouldn't even care about it.

However, there is a twist - if the power savings let you use a smaller (but same efficiency rating) power supply then you might offset some of your costs there.

Like I said in the beginning, the math is simple but the judgment call is less so.

Zero0d (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 05:05:09 PM

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

First i'm here only considering GPU mining.

I have this idea to build a MOBO with integrated RAM,CPU,DISK that can accept 4PCIe cards because i see here i can gain with the low power consumption ( as you said this components don't contribute to the hashrate) and hardware price.

I think the components that i have in mind will consume no more then 10W( all the RIG components except  4x GPU).

So i will have three things:

a) x4 GPU ->  her you can adjusting clock/power settings to get all out of the ATI or NVIDA cards ( price as is)
b) 1 PSU -> that is x2 the RIG consumption, let assume the rig uses 600W then a power supply from 1000 to 1200W with 80 plus platinum with 94% eff when loaded 50% to 60% (price as is)
c) my MOBO with integrated components Smiley -> max 10W ( low price , eg 100€ maybe less)

So i think this is equipment will have much efficiency.

My question is is also someone else interested to bu or get such kind of integrated MOBO?
And will the const saving for the equipment (excluded GPU and PSU) be worth a wile?

Best Regards.

Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2018, 05:15:16 PM

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

First i'm here only considering GPU mining.

I have this idea to build a MOBO with integrated RAM,CPU,DISK that can accept 4PCIe cards because i see here i can gain with the low power consumption ( as you said this components don't contribute to the hashrate) and hardware price.

I think the components that i have in mind will consume no more then 10W( all the RIG components except  4x GPU).

Research carefully how much CPU power is needed to run various GPU mining programs. Sometimes low-end Celerons can start to bottleneck GPU performance with certain mining software.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███