Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:28:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are masternodes worth the trouble?  (Read 387 times)
cryptoiqtech (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 05:46:56 PM

I've been playing around with setting up a couple of masternodes for 2 different coins, and I'm pondering whether it's worth the trouble in the long run. I've found that setting up masternodes is not straight forward, especially if you want to use a VPS.

What does the community here think about this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MintDice

Activity: 238
Merit: 46

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 09:55:22 PM

Some people own masternodes as a great governance mechanism in cryptocurrency systems..since the owner of a masternode will have a say in developmental matters through voting, for instance. So it's not as much about money, but because someone would want to safeguard their investment in this way. The importance of master nodes is also clear with many people competing to give proposals that show real value and promise good returns.

Hope this helps!
cryptoiqtech (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 10:38:45 PM

Do masternodes actually help with the scalability problem of a blockchain?
Peter8226

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 05:34:38 AM

I've been playing around with setting up a couple of masternodes for 2 different coins, and I'm pondering whether it's worth the trouble in the long run. I've found that setting up masternodes is not straight forward, especially if you want to use a VPS.

I'm new in here and I'm do not understand too much about masternode.
Could you please explain more why masternode that worth the trouble in the long run.
cintrondigital

Activity: 630
Merit: 507

CryptoRoundTable.com

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2018, 06:16:05 AM

I've have several types of masternodes. For the most part you take the good with the bad.
Pros:
Keeps the blockchain moving
Some give you a decent passive income

Cons:
Some coins may never make it to the exchange or get delisted. (Time to Hodl)
Development ceasing could hurt the nodes growth.

But overall i am happy with the outputs.

▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚
ajaycthomas

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2018, 08:57:08 AM

The one and most important decision is the coin. If you are planning to hodl the coin you are betting, its highly recommended to become a masternode. This is a passive income and which you can either cash out or grow your asset.

But if you just look at the ROI part and jump into any scam coin, you may lose part or whole of your asset.
cryptoiqtech (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:10:45 PM

Could you please explain more why masternode that worth the trouble in the long run.

I'm also relatively new to the masternodes setup, but I can tell you a bit about it. Essentially, a masternode is any server / computer that runs the coin wallet configured to be up 24/7 behind a static IP, with a declared amount of the coin kept as collateral either on the same wallet, or on an offline remote wallet. The key intent of the masternode is to play a similar role as a miner node in helping transactions validation on the blockchain, but the difference is that it does not need to do POW, since it has POS (amount of coins as collatetal). If you own a masternode, you are often able to vote on which projects get funded from the coin's trasury fund in the  evolution of the coin roadmap. Each coin specifies the amount of collateral to be aet aside, and the coins that are given to the masternode as a reward for being a masternode. Check out masternodes.online for more info.
d0n4ald

Activity: 92

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:01:33 AM

can you own any amount of a POS coin to get a stake in it? like if i held 0.1 coin, i get more free coins based on that ?

do i need to do anything special to get free coins?
thepr0digy21

Activity: 137
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 04:25:27 AM

can you own any amount of a POS coin to get a stake in it? like if i held 0.1 coin, i get more free coins based on that ?

do i need to do anything special to get free coins?
There are some coins that do this. For instance, holding NEO in a wallet or on binance will generate GAS. Obviously, the more NEO you hold, the more GAS that is generated as a result.
n0mad82

Activity: 60

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 06:23:56 AM

As far as the coins that are around at the moment, it could have been very worthwhile if you had got in early on. The setup is fine once you've done it quite a few times, its virtually identical for every MN coin.
Peter8226

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 10:02:07 AM

I'm also relatively new to the masternodes setup, but I can tell you a bit about it. Essentially, a masternode is any server / computer that runs the coin wallet configured to be up 24/7 behind a static IP, with a declared amount of the coin kept as collateral either on the same wallet, or on an offline remote wallet. The key intent of the masternode is to play a similar role as a miner node in helping transactions validation on the blockchain, but the difference is that it does not need to do POW, since it has POS (amount of coins as collatetal). If you own a masternode, you are often able to vote on which projects get funded from the coin's trasury fund in the  evolution of the coin roadmap. Each coin specifies the amount of collateral to be aet aside, and the coins that are given to the masternode as a reward for being a masternode. Check out masternodes.online for more info.

Thank you a lot for kindly explain. It is very clear.
ParanoidLunatic

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 04:44:23 PM

Cryptocurrencies are always growing, changing, adapting and Masternodes are still very new with room to improve.

For example, F0ME Masternodes will NOT need a static IP (and therefore not require a VPS)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2765332.0

It's also only on week 3 of airdrops so u can get some for participating in the community if you wish.

https://f0me.net/
https://www.tipbot.io/
MintDice

Activity: 238
Merit: 46

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 05:48:22 PM

It depends, but generally, masternode payouts are more consistent (there are fewer, and used more frequently, so higher odds of receiving a payout.
togoshigekata

Activity: 1260
Merit: 115

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 11:39:12 PM

Yes, but depends on the masternode, there are a lot of clones out there,

Understanding the Governance and Budget System
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DOC/pages/8585240/Understanding+the+Governance+and+Budget+System

Check out BiblePay, fairly new masternode coin that is not just a clone!

cryptoiqtech (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 12:46:09 AM

Just thought of an idea.

How about defining a process where people report a new crypto that supports masternodes as soon as they do, then some techies like myself implement the masternode on a VPS, ask a willing person with the dough for the masternode collateral coins to be sent to the collateral wallet, and share the returns 3 way (the person who found the coin, the techie who set up the masternode, and the person who put up the collateral).

Not sure of the logistics, but this may provide some opportunity to create a community that supports masternodes and profits while doing it.

Thoughts?
togoshigekata

Activity: 1260
Merit: 115

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 11:31:45 PM

There are a lot of people who run services like that, probably a profitable business

vrabac68

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:22:48 AM

MAsternodes are great source of passive income and i have two of them but the problem is they are mostly expensive to buy
especially if their ROI is great.
But honestly its worth investing in cheaper ones if they are good because of the future growth
Ausgewielt

Activity: 453
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:44:28 AM

I have the same problem, I have the number of coin to run masternode but I have problem in sincronizing, masternode is good idea because its make sure that there are people who hold the coin it help the coin price high. I also looking for another way to earn passive income and fortunately I found this https://dimensions.network/en/calculator it is ICO, till 24 feb.

jdbao

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:51:52 AM

The masternodes are new things for me and I am also a newcomer to this area.
However, I think for many coins it takes a lot of money to set up a masternode, and your return is uncertain because the market may collapse at any time, and even a lot of coins will disappear after some time.
Anyway, I'm still just waiting to see.
cryptoiqtech (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 07:25:46 PM

MAsternodes are great source of passive income and i have two of them but the problem is they are mostly expensive to buy
especially if their ROI is great.
But honestly its worth investing in cheaper ones if they are good because of the future growth

If you don't mind me asking, which ones do you have? I've set up Bitradio and Smartcash.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: