Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:55:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is selling your coins to buy during a dip smart?  (Read 127 times)
chrisgritz (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 06:32:52 PM

Hey guys so i have only been playing around with crypto for about a week or two. When i first got into it i bought XRP at .60 and TRX at .04. I spent around 80 in total and have a little profit atm sitting at 320 dollars to 360 throughout the day depending on if the coin has dipped or not. I have noticed a trend the past 3 days on Binance where XRP will go at its highest to about 2.40-2.50 and TRX to 0.16-0.17 around 5pm and then the next morning it dips. Should i be selling my XRP at 2.50 or TRX at 0.16 and buy when it dips? When i go to sell my coins on Binance it tells me i would get a certain amount of BTC. Does that BTC stay the same all the time since you have sold your coins for that certain amount at the time or does the value fluctuate with whatever is also happening to BTC at the time? Ty all for help.
nitinkp47

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 07:33:07 PM

So all the price it related. XRP/BTC and XRP/USD may be different depending on the price of USD and BTC at that time. If either BTC or USD becomes stronger the overall difference is reduced. So if XRP increases and BTC reduces your overall profit will be more.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2018, 08:43:06 PM

So all the price it related. XRP/BTC and XRP/USD may be different depending on the price of USD and BTC at that time. If either BTC or USD becomes stronger the overall difference is reduced. So if XRP increases and BTC reduces your overall profit will be more.

The OP's quotes are in USD, so his observations are sound if he plans to sell his XRP or TRX for USD. The price of BTC is not relevant for this conversation.

To Chris, the answer is yes! It would be smart to take advantage of these peak and valley cycles if you believe they will occur. The worst that can happen is that the cycle doesn't flow as you intended and you end up on the wrong side of the transaction, i.e., having sold and watching the price go up or having bought and watching the price go down.

Timing the market is difficult, but not impossible!
staywoke081

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

Santa Coin

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 11:15:26 PM

The amount that you have in your account in BTC will always remain the same in BTC. What changes is the USD amount which will then in turn change how much your BTC is worth.

BTCforJoe

Activity: 882
Merit: 976

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 07:29:12 AM

This is called short selling, or day trading, and it's used by professionals around the world in the finance industries. Not just for crypto. I made a decent amount of profit when short selling when I first started getting into crypto, as well. I'd use several exchanges, and over time learned which exchanges were a sort of "premonition" for other exchanges... You know, certain exchanges would always show a pump of a certain alt, so I'd know to pick it up on the other exchanges where the swinging value hasn't set yet. The beauty of it is just as you recognized... If you sell a coin for BTC, your BTC value won't change, regardless of how much USD or the value of the coin you traded goes up or down.

If you're lucky, you'll find altcoins with pretty drastic and noticeable differences in value between currencies. It's rare, but there have been times where I've dumped a coin to a large buy order in BTC where the value was much higher than USD. I'd sell my coin to fill the buy order, take the BTC, and then buy USD. I'd then exchange the USD and use that to buy the very coin I sold (for BTC) at a much lower rate than what I sold it for... All within seconds.

I eventually stopped short selling, as it was a full-time thing, and the potential risk for losing out on a botched decision is high. But you seem to have the right idea, and ultimately, you can make quite a decent profit if you have the intuition, which based on your original post, you do.

Good luck, and welcome to cryptocurrency Smiley

offthecuff

Activity: 238
Merit: 23

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:58:47 AM

Think it's smart if you are buying extra coin in a dip just as long as you are not trying to sell coin at a peak to buy more in a dip,that seems very risky to me and something that would require a great deal of knowledge or big cahunas.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: