Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 01:48:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin Trading Gambling?  (Read 761 times)
emberbekas
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 09:11:44 PM

There is a big difference between investing in bitcoin and day/swing trading bitcoin. If you invest some money and forget about it, that's one thing. If you constantly try to ride the wave of bitcoin's price and try to multiply your money a few times a day or week, that involves so much more risk, one bad call can ruin it all. The latter is gambling.

Your explanation is make sense. Daily traders, people who buy and sell bitcoin in daily basis can be considered as gambler. Tbh, in our daily life, there are a bunch of things that can be called as gambling as well. But, as long as it is legal, we shouldn't worry too much.

RealPhotoshoper
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:47:21 PM

I think no trading is not gambling because when you bet you will received an amount equivalent to what you bet but in trading the rate or amount of return is not specific also trading is regulated while gambling is not. What was same with this two is that both will require taking chances and the risk that you either lose whatever amount of capital you have.
That is what mostly people think about trading , it gives you a return even you lost it.
No wonder as trading is a good way and reasonable business compared to gambling.
People know that trading with proper analysis won't feel like gambling , it is a real opportunity to get profit steady.
yes trading is not a gambling, here we will not get 100% loss we will get chance to withdraw our investment. In gambling only if you win your bet your money will come back or else you need to forget your investment. So trading is far better than gambling.
Trading is a better way to make profit only if you know what to do there , not a random trading.
A lot of people trading based on nothing , just do it by the feeling and wish it can produce profit , what a fool.
In the end it is always on how you treat both , trading better just because it is not addictive.
Coins4Days

Activity: 294
Merit: 27

bit.ly/Coins4Hash

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2018, 01:31:06 AM

There is a big difference between investing in bitcoin and day/swing trading bitcoin. If you invest some money and forget about it, that's one thing. If you constantly try to ride the wave of bitcoin's price and try to multiply your money a few times a day or week, that involves so much more risk, one bad call can ruin it all. The latter is gambling.

Your explanation is make sense. Daily traders, people who buy and sell bitcoin in daily basis can be considered as gambler. Tbh, in our daily life, there are a bunch of things that can be called as gambling as well. But, as long as it is legal, we shouldn't worry too much.

I'm sure there are many day traders who try their best to analyze bitcoin's price path, and they may luck out often, but the bottom line is it will be impossible to predict bitcoin's price 100% of the time. If someone can ride the waves, good for them, but emotions can easily get in the way and ruin everything.

Yes, many things can be considered a gamble. Some people gamble with their freedom when they commit illegal acts to make money (robbery, selling drugs, etc). That's a totally different topic though Tongue

vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 04:27:37 AM

I'm sure there are many day traders who try their best to analyze bitcoin's price path, and they may luck out often, but the bottom line is it will be impossible to predict bitcoin's price 100% of the time. If someone can ride the waves, good for them, but emotions can easily get in the way and ruin everything.

Yes, many things can be considered a gamble. Some people gamble with their freedom when they commit illegal acts to make money (robbery, selling drugs, etc). That's a totally different topic though Tongue
But what makes a difference between Trading and Gambling is in trading we can make a technical analysis to analysis any possible outcome, and we know some Gambling games don't really need a skill except the skill-based gambling. So. I disagree any Bitcoin trading/investment is a gamble. Except If some people just blindly following others people investment/trading advice, then we can safely judge the people is gambling.
nidacoinlove

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 05:03:35 AM

But what makes a difference between Trading and Gambling is in trading we can make a technical analysis to analysis any possible outcome, and we know some Gambling games don't really need a skill except the skill-based gambling. So. I disagree any Bitcoin trading/investment is a gamble. Except If some people just blindly following others people investment/trading advice, then we can safely judge the people is gambling.
Well honestly speaking there is a thin line between gambling and trading, what makes it different is the attitude. In gambling you let it go as it is about luck while in trading it’s not like that. In trading you have to work hard before you jump in to it. Till the moment you can’t analyze things yourself it means that it is similar to gambling, just the game is different for you. I don’t know much about gambling but in trading patience is must along all the analysis and identification process.
katinko

Activity: 196
Merit: 122

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 06:06:16 AM

In my opinion that is different, bitcoin trading is an investment which skills can be used and not based in your luck unlike for gambling it is pure luck also trading method is much profitable than gambling.

I prefer to do trading than put my time in gambling. Also even small amount of capital in trading you can make good amount of profit.
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:39:08 AM

Whether it is legal or not but still gambling is a waste of money if anyone doing it every day. Including day trading also very risky because it is hard to predict prices on a day by day because even very good coin prices also can't say how it will perform today or tomorrow but in the long run, we all know it will give a good profit. So I consider gambling and day trading both are same.
dhas

Activity: 168
Merit: 120

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 02:33:33 PM

If you are risking your investments with bitcoin, I think it's not same as gambling because in gambling the possibility of losing quickly is there. Trading can be waited while price is at losing stage, but if you have patience in all that you do I am sure that you will be able to earn bigger profits in trading compared from what you are expecting from lucky gambling wins.

Not all activities that involve risk are called gambling. You have no idea what you're talking about. Gambling is based on risk and you're putting up a certain amount of money that can disappear in an instant. It can be a bet on horse racing, dice roll, blackjack, when you lose the bet is gone 100%. When you're trading it's never like that. It starts to go down you can get out and lose just 1% if you're fast, wait it out, get back in and win additional 2%. It's not all or nothing like gambling.
Actually both gambling and trading are both risky.
But like whtat you said, not all the activity that involve risk are can be called as gambling.
Trading is just risky because you every time that you buy a coin,
You have no guarantee that it will increase.
It always has a chance to fall down , lower than the price when you bought it.
And that the reason why you experience losses.
man22555

Activity: 430
Merit: 251

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 02:43:01 PM

So the question is if Bitcoin Trading is a Gamble or not?
I will express my views here and would love to know what you guys think.

It's investing. Buying and selling Bitcoin is an investment. Now, Is it Gambling?
There's a difference between Trading and Investing. Trading involves capital inhand kept for short period, typically for a few days, hours or even minutes. Investments on the other hand tend to be in months, years or even decades.

Bitcoin Trading isn't Gambling but Buying Bitcoin is “gambling”, in the sense that its an investment that could price crash at any time.
To me, it has nothing to do with gambling.
In gambling, it's just you versus mathmatics. You have no chance to win in the longterm.
By trading, several skills must be used to achieve the best result; in gambling it makes almost no difference if you're experienced / skilled or not.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
szpalata

Activity: 686
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 09:29:40 PM

It's investing. Buying and selling Bitcoin is an investment. Now, Is it Gambling?
There's a difference between Trading and Investing. Trading involves capital inhand kept for short period, typically for a few days, hours or even minutes. Investments on the other hand tend to be in months, years or even decades.

Bitcoin Trading isn't Gambling but Buying Bitcoin is “gambling”, in the sense that its an investment that could price crash at any time.
To me, it has nothing to do with gambling.
In gambling, it's just you versus mathmatics. You have no chance to win in the longterm.
By trading, several skills must be used to achieve the best result; in gambling it makes almost no difference if you're experienced / skilled or not.

It differs with sports gambling which is pretty much the same as trading because you can set limits and control the way you loose or win a bet. I don't think you are not gambling as a trader also because the outcome of a trade  can go either way too (profit or loss).
megynacuna

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:53:06 PM

Whether it is legal or not but still gambling is a waste of money if anyone doing it every day. Including day trading also very risky because it is hard to predict prices on a day by day because even very good coin prices also can't say how it will perform today or tomorrow but in the long run, we all know it will give a good profit. So I consider gambling and day trading both are same.

I totally agree with you, it's just the same as day trading because you try your hands on them daily and you can either win or loose in a day but the accumulation of your daily outcomes will make you know whether you are in profit or not. I will opt for both in order to diversify the money i can afford to loose.
Coins4Days

Activity: 294
Merit: 27

bit.ly/Coins4Hash

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 02:36:52 AM

You can make as much technical analysis'  as you want, the bottom line is you will not be able to predict all price swings. This is where it gets complicated... How much to risk at certain points, when not to ride the wave, when to go all in, etc. One wrong call and you can potentially lose it all. Then emotions come into play. How do you keep them out of the picture? If you have a bad day, do you not trade that day, or can you leave those emotions out of your trading? The more experienced you are, the lower risk it can be, but nothing is guaranteed. I think if you trade bitcoin for a whole year and stay green, that's when you can call yourself experienced. It takes a lot of nerve and brainpower to make the right calls most of the time.

BitcoinPC

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 04:29:47 AM

When i do trading and then i do gambling, then i also feel both are same. Buying and selling like a gambling. Similarity is trading and gambling, in gambling we play games and in trading we play with coins and all the time, we have risk and our money on the risk. In this wise, i also think that bitcoin trading is bitcoin gambling.
Theb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 655

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 04:38:35 AM

I disagree with your explanation as trading or even day trading can be called as gambling except if you are just buying and selling randomly of course. In all kinds of trading you need to have a plan and also your buying and selling decisions will be based on technical analysis. While in gambling you winning is always based on your luck. Also riding the wave or the trend of Bitcoin's price is really not called gambling as your basis is of course the trend of its price action which is involve in technical analysis as well.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
llyfee4u

Activity: 444
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 11:09:36 AM

Yes I think so.  Trading is still a form of gambling as you are making speculative trades hoping that luck is on your side in terms of markets. The only out right difference being that with trading, your decisions could be informed by some analysis that you do prior to investing.  Equally, there are associated risks with both and one has to be very careful.  Both trading and gambling are one and the same in my view and both has been known to help people become successful or ruin their lives completely.
LEINADbtc

Activity: 240
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 11:31:03 AM

People would say it is. I mean mainstream people..

But they wouldn't for stock trading. Which is wrong. I mean, crypto trading is same as stock.
You shouldn't think that as gambling. Simple as that.

——< Datecoin | The fastest successful match. The hottest ICO ever. >——
ANN | Medium | Twitter Facebook | LinkdedIn | Telegram
serjent05
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1255

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 11:42:33 AM

Aside from that , trading depends on the outside factor such as news, development, hype, FUD etc,  while gambling only depends on its internal setup and is driven by chance.  This means the risk involved in trading can be manage, mitigated or nullified if the person doing the trade is skilled while gambling , we just rely on chance and risk is fixed and cannot be mitigated.
Uno17

Activity: 322
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 10:43:34 AM

This is just my opinion, yes can be considered as gambling also because it is an activity involving of betting money but as a business minded too, partly can be considered as investment too, it depends on how you look at it, because as i’ve said it is just my outlook on that, but whatever how you look at it, it means for good anyway😃
mostkey

Activity: 742

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 11:22:32 AM

as I've already said on a thread that is almost the same as this. bitcoin is not gambling, but bitcoin is an asset and a place to invest. in investment there is nothing to lose if we get profit. but in gambling there must be a loss if we win gambling. whether fellow gamblers or the web gambling
Utanjaran

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:14:27 PM

From the word i'is known that trading is different from gambling. Trading is analysis based. While gambling is only a mere profit.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: