Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:29:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I donated bitcoins to Wikipedia via the community pledge  (Read 1804 times)
WiW (OP)

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 10:57:05 AM

Wikimedia, as is well known, does not accept bitcoin donations. The reasons vary, but lately some informal discussions with Wikimedia fundraisers have raised some pragmatic issues, being unsure how much it is practically worth to start accepting bitcoins (A/B testing, payment processing, choice paralysis, etc.).

So Meni Rosenfeld had a great idea. Let's start pledging money in a community effort, until Wikimedia sees how much money is waiting for them and decides it is worth it. And if they won't take it now, the pledged funds will continue sitting there until they do accept bitcoin donations. I donated to the pledge because I want to prove to Wikimedia that the bitcoin community loves their work - because bitcoin is in line with their ideals of a free and open internet. This is most important because Wikimedia accepting bitcoin donations will give bitcoin some very serious legitimacy. I need not remind everyone that Wikipedia is site #6 in the whole internetz. People take Wikipedia seriously, people trust Wikipedia. This is important.

How does the pledge work?

The point of the pledge is that trusted and reputable treasurers (call them "escrows" if you wish) are collecting funds which are solely for Wikimedia to accept once they officially announce accepting bitcoins as donations. These trusted treasurers promise they hold onto the funds and won't use/send them until the goal is reached. If not because of this pledge, then in the next, or whenever Wikimedia accepts bitcoin donations (even if it's in 5 years). Each and every donator can pick a treasurer they trust the most. If you are a trusted and reputable member of the community, please offer yourself as a treasurer!

I donated bitcoins to the community pledge because I'm confident my bitcoins will not move until the goal is reached. If the pledge works, I successfully donated bitcoins to Wikimedia. If the pledge doesn't work I will eventually successfully donate bitcoins to Wikimedia - even if it's five years down the road (unless you don't believe bitcoin will be as successful as I do).

Please join us! Let's get Wikimedia to shut up and take our bitcoins!!!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=270255.0
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
/dev/null

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 11:03:31 AM

Don't mind but you are one of those fools who give donations to show off their money and grow their e-penis.

WiW (OP)

Activity: 277

"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 11:06:46 AM

Don't mind but you are one of those fools who give donations to show off their money and grow their e-penis.

No.

I'm one of those fools who donates money to large organizations hoping they give legitimacy to the currency I believe in and hope that the effect of my small donation makes enough of an impact on the exchange rates making the rest of my currency worth more. I'm also the kind of fool that tries to get others to join me and help me with my foolish goals.
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 11:07:03 AM

Stupid trolling.

--------

Hey, I think it's a great idea !

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 11:45:40 AM

I don't think this is a great idea.
/dev/null

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 12:20:24 PM

Stupid trolling.

--------

Hey, I think it's a great idea !

I'm not trolling, if you seriously want to give donation, how about doing donation first and then tell us that you donated xyz to xyz. Instead of grabbing peoples attention for no fucking reason and do some kind of scammy crowdfunding when wikipedia doesn't wants Bitcoins.

NWO

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 01:13:01 PM

Sorry, but I agree with this.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 01:22:50 PM

Me 3. They do not want bitcoins, they can take a hike.

Bitcoin will succeed on its own merits, not because some pundits endorse it.

Most people can't evaluate Bitcoin on its own merits, they need the endorsement.

It's like in the joke about two boats and a helicopter. We believe in Bitcoin's merits and are motivated enough to do this - this is Bitcoin succeeding on its own merits.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Voogru

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 11:36:18 PM

If they don't want to accept free money, that's their problem.

It kind of reminds me of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BiHzcGSZEM
CompNsci

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 05:06:31 PM

Yes, I wrote them the other day that there stated reasons for not accepting BTC are a sham. And they can have a donation from me when they accept BTC.
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:48:08 AM

If I wanted to fund wikipedia, I would fund them directly - and not through any third party.
daviducsb

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:12:32 AM

I like the idea. It's pragmatic and gives them incentive.
pikapay

Activity: 164
Merit: 101

@PikaPay - Easy as a Tweet!

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 08:21:42 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2013, 08:34:12 AM by pikapay

It could be this easy:

Donate to @WikiMedia

Or right to @jimmy_wales:

https://twitter.com/GeneralSeven/status/367198072524521472

Embed code for Donate to WikiMedia Button:

Code:
<a href="#" class="pikapay-button" data-user="Wikimedia" data-amount="0.0001" data-order="true" data-label="Donate" data-message="I%20donated%20Bitcoin%20to%20WikiMedia!%20See%20PikaPay.com"></a>
<script>!function(d,id){if(!d.getElementById(id)){var js = d.createElement('script');js.id=id;js.src='//www.pikapay.com/templates/pikapay-widgets.js';d.body.appendChild(js);}}(document, 'pikapay-widget');</script>

BitcoinWednesday.com - The monthly conference on the digital currency revolution in The Netherlands.

Every 1st Wednesday of the month in Amsterdam: Meetup.com/BitcoinWednesday

---------------------

- The Easiest Way to Send Bitcoin to Anyone on Twitter
The future of cash has no borders.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: