Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:48:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for gox to just go out of business.  (Read 2448 times)
hannesnaude (OP)

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

Firstbits : 1Hannes

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 08:44:22 PM

Never in my life have I experienced such poor customer support. My account was one of those attacked on the 13th July with a password reset request. See
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255630.0;all and http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1i7ydk/psa_reminder_do_not_store_anything_of_value_at_a/
for other reports of this attack. Incidentally I have yet to hear an explanation from mtgox of how the usernames of a large number of gox users leaked and how the attacker managed to request password resets even without the yubikey (in my case) which is supposedly required.

Anyhow, that is not even my complaint. Fact is, after picking up on the attack on the very same day it happened. I have still not been able to get access to my account to this day, more than 4 weeks later. When I enter my details in the password reset form I inevitably end up with a message "You have made too many recovery attempts, your IP has been blocked. Please click the help icon at the top of the page for assistance." This is  untrue and happens even when I attempt the reset from a different PC with a different IP. I have contacted gox support 15 times and counting. I have identified myself to their satisfaction, I have sent screenshots illustrating the problem, I have asked nicely, I have begged and ultimately I have lost my temper. All with the same result. Zero.

I have been told that the issue has been referred to the dev team and I waited more than a week before contacting them again after that. No progress whatsoever. On more than one occasion I have been told that the problem has been resolved, only to find that nothing has chhanged on my end. I have dealt with Danny, Dennis, Patrick and Linda. They have varying degrees of ineptitude and their first suggestion is inevitably that I go reset my password. Yeah dude, after four weeks of being locked out of my account do you seriously think that I have not tried that yet.

After giving them detailed information on the nature of my problem and identifying myself to their satisfaction and voicing my concern over whether my money is safe I got the reply:"
Hello Hennes,(sic)

We have increased the withdrawal limits for the account..."

Because when a hacker is attacking your account and you cannot even get access to tell if your money is still there, nothing sets your mind at ease like knowing that your withdrawal limits have been increased.  Angry

In my latest contact with them I insisted that the developer which is supposedly working on this just drop me  an e-mail. Request denied. After repeatedly inquiring why this should be so vehemently opposed I was treated to the following "gem"

"As advised earlier developer do not communicate with users directly and they do not have email access and probably they are not even good at language so that is why we are there here to communicate issues to them."

So apparently the gox devs don't have email access. Starting to see why it might be tricky for them to debug password reset email sending functionality. Just how stupid do they think we are??

It is seriously time for these clowns to just go out of business.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 09:55:50 PM

they stole over 60 btc from me STAY AWAY
ronaldlee0917

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 03:10:54 AM

The support of MtGox is abysmal.

They only learn to do two things
- apologize, apologize and apologize
- ask you to wait, wait and wait.

For whatever request or proposed solution you made that might resolve the problem, they would only say NO, NO, NO and when asked the reason why, they replied that it is not within their policy to do so.

They are bunch of suckers, slackers who are good at nothing except to disappoint.

Donation:    18zXsfnSvGjQFJ6pEiKMg2uWGcxUCfJLzu
Mastercoin - A new protocol layer built on top of Bitcoin
jackthebeanstalk

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 03:17:12 AM

I hope that its market share will decrease significantly, but do not hope it goes out of business, some competition to the rest will keep them on their toes.
Mooshire

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 03:21:01 AM

I hope that its market share will decrease significantly, but do not hope it goes out of business, some competition to the rest will keep them on their toes.

Gox is already dying because of it's complete incompetence at serving as a bitcoin exchange.

kawkaw2013

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:05:59 AM

My account was one of those attacked on the 13th July with a password reset request. See
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255630.0;all and http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1i7ydk/psa_reminder_do_not_store_anything_of_value_at_a/
for other reports of this attack. Incidentally I have yet to hear an explanation from mtgox of how the usernames of a large number of gox users leaked and how the attacker managed to request password resets even without the yubikey (in my case) which is supposedly required.

The attacker didn't need your username. Your email address was probably in a huge list of email addresses which he used to trigger a mass password request. Check it out on their site. Only a correct email address is required to trigger a forgotten password and for you to be locked out of your account for 24 hours. It happened to me also and I was stressed for 24 hours.

"As advised earlier developer do not communicate with users directly and they do not have email access and probably they are not even good at language so that is why we are there here to communicate issues to them."

Funniest thing I have read all week. I suggest that you learn Japanese.
jackthebeanstalk

Activity: 52

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 04:51:26 PM

They are still a very big player, I really doubt that they will go out of biz
OhShei8e
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1059

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:50:29 PM

They are still a very big player, I really doubt that they will go out of biz

What what exactly makes you doubt they will go out of business?  Solely because they are a big player?

We are now at 15 Million from what is only in the Gox orderbook at the moment. Many people have large amounts of money in Gox. If Gox would fail by a sudden death then you have your 50 Cents again and we are back in 2010. This is simple math.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:54:08 PM

Vote with your wallet.dat and the free market will reward good companies and punish bad ones.   Nothing else is really worth anything.  Companies with "good" customer service don't do it to be nice, they do it because they have good management who have learned that exceeding expectations boosts profits.  It means they keep customers longer, those customers provide referals, and those customers are less likely to trust a competitor even when they seem to be a better deal.

Companies exist for the sole purpose of increasing the wealth of owners.  Period.  Vote with your wallet.dat and let the free market decide.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 12:18:27 PM

Vote with your wallet.dat and the free market will reward good companies and punish bad ones.   Nothing else is really worth anything.  Companies with "good" customer service don't do it to be nice, they do it because they have good management who have learned that exceeding expectations boosts profits.  It means they keep customers longer, those customers provide referals, and those customers are less likely to trust a competitor even when they seem to be a better deal.

Companies exist for the sole purpose of increasing the wealth of owners.  Period.  Vote with your wallet.dat and let the free market decide.

Pretty much this.

When you vote wrongly with your wallet horrible things happen.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: