Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:08:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: I would rather
stick to normal PSUs - 2 (50%)
use mining PSUs as you described - 2 (50%)
none of the above - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who of you would buy mining PSUs over normal PSUs (Europe)  (Read 140 times)
seriouslox (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 10:34:00 AM

Hello fellow miners!

I see posts every day here, on reddit and other forums about problems or questions concerning PSU management. People are using Sata adapters, asking how they can power their rigs if there werent enough 6pin or 8pin cables for all their GPUs and risers, dont know how to properly connect them and so on.

I had the same problem and I ended up modding my 750W PSU to have enough 6/8pins to power everything. After my rig was running I found the Parallelminer website and saw that they sell server PSUs with 6pin breakout boards. I thought this would have been the best solution for every rig since they are about the same price as normal PSUs, have Platinum efficiency, are built to run 24/7 on full load and have enough connectors for a multi GPU setup. Unfortunately they are from America and therefore I wouldnt order from them as a European. And as you can see neither do they check their products before shipping, nor do they give a damn about their customers if something is wrong with them. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2698661.0

So my question here is: Would you guys buy PSUs as they are shown in the shop of PM from me if I would build them myself, check them, provide a guide on how to use them properly, offer warranty that is actually legitimate (PM offers 30 days of warranty lol) and sell them for a reasonable price?

Please vote what PSUs you prefer and comment if you are interested in such mining PSUs.
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
un4given

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:08:24 AM

i stick to normal PSU's only because of following reasons

• easy to get in EU
  • long warranty periods (For EVGA and Corsair)
  • easy warranty (RMA) handling due to EU regulations for sellers

all of my PSUs are Corsair and EVGA. Never had any problems with them. Using single rail PSU's ONLY.
Though, stay away from Enermax. Very bad support. and don't buy those second hand. only 1st buyer gets the warranty.

Not buying server PSUs due to high price connected to import tax and long shipping from USA or China.

CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:10:05 AM

Hello fellow miners!

I see posts every day here, on reddit and other forums about problems or questions concerning PSU management. People are using Sata adapters, asking how they can power their rigs if there werent enough 6pin or 8pin cables for all their GPUs and risers, dont know how to properly connect them and so on.

I had the same problem and I ended up modding my 750W PSU to have enough 6/8pins to power everything. After my rig was running I found the Parallelminer website and saw that they sell server PSUs with 6pin breakout boards. I thought this would have been the best solution for every rig since they are about the same price as normal PSUs, have Platinum efficiency, are built to run 24/7 on full load and have enough connectors for a multi GPU setup. Unfortunately they are from America and therefore I wouldnt order from them as a European. And as you can see neither do they check their products before shipping, nor do they give a damn about their customers if something is wrong with them. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2698661.0

So my question here is: Would you guys buy PSUs as they are shown in the shop of PM from me if I would build them myself, check them, provide a guide on how to use them properly, offer warranty that is actually legitimate (PM offers 30 days of warranty lol) and sell them for a reasonable price?

Please vote what PSUs you prefer and comment if you are interested in such mining PSUs.

I live here in the USA and have server psu's, your statement: Unfortunately they are from America and therefore I wouldnt order from them as a European. And as you can see neither do they check their products before shipping, nor do they give a damn about their customers if something is wrong with them, is very inaccurate to say the least. if you had trouble id say you prolly found a shitty seller which does happen, but there not all like that. theres lots of places that DO check them and make sure they function as intended and usually have no problem replacing them if there is in fact a problematic one, but that's very few and far between as server psu's are made so much more tougher and made to withstand hasher environment and higher consistent loads, also your price on them isn't correct too, I just picked up a 1400w server psu and breakout board for 74 dollars which is no where near the 250+ you would pay for an atx psu of the same wattage

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Bimmber

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:15:53 AM

Using single rail PSU's ONLY.

Could you explain single rail? Thanks.
un4given

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:19:08 AM

Using single rail PSU's ONLY.

Could you explain single rail? Thanks.

http://www.overclock.net/t/761202/single-rail-vs-multi-rail-explained

single rail have always been more stable for me as multi rail. had some rigs with multirail Enermax and XFX PSU's. Rigs were dying very often and are now rock stable with single rail PSU's.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 01:01:07 PM

I would consider mining-specific PSUs if they were done by a reputable OEM. (This seems unlikely, at least for now.)

Otherwise, forget about it.

Additionally, quality PSUs with multiple 12V rails are fine so long as long as you distribute the load appropriately. Most lower-power models (and many higher-power ones) have a single 12V rail design anyways, at this point.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
cable_loco

Activity: 35
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 02:46:37 PM

i stick to normal PSU's only because of following reasons

• easy to get in EU
  • long warranty periods (For EVGA and Corsair)
  • easy warranty (RMA) handling due to EU regulations for sellers

all of my PSUs are Corsair and EVGA. Never had any problems with them. Using single rail PSU's ONLY.
Though, stay away from Enermax. Very bad support. and don't buy those second hand. only 1st buyer gets the warranty.

Not buying server PSUs due to high price connected to import tax and long shipping from USA or China.

All of the above, plus good quality ATX PSU will be easier to resell or re-purpose if you decide to stop mining.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: