Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:11:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lawyer Trying To Trademark Bitcoin Explains His Legal Theory  (Read 1637 times)
MtRev (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 10:40:18 PM

First, he claimed that "for strategic reasons," he and his wife had abandoned the US trademark filing... but, at the same time, they've commenced trademark applications in other countries, which have a first to file rule, rather than a first to use:

Simultaneously therewith, trademark applications have begun in those civil law countries, wherein, "first to use" status is not recognized as a defense to trademark registration. These civil law countries, which account for most of the world's population, and land mass, only recognize a "first to file" basis for trademark registration. The penalties for infringing trademarks in those civil law "first to file" countries are as severe as the common law jurisdictions, such as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, etc., which utilize a "first to use" basis.

Therefore, jumping up and down exhorting that "Bitcoin" has been in use in the USA, or another common law country, since the dark ages is no defense, repeat no defense, to a claim of infringement of a properly registered mark in a "first to file" jurisdiction.

Read the full story here:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110708/00564015004/lawyer-trying-to-trademark-bitcoin-explains-his-legal-theory.shtml

Don't trade alone! Let's Talk Money!
Stocks, Options, Crypto, Forex, Dividends and the Commodities market

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fakeman

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 12:48:41 PM

Step 4: Huh
Step 5: Profit!

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
epi 1:10,000

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:23:02 PM

What can be done to stop this guy?Huh?
MtRev (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 03:24:34 PM

He may not be able to do it in the US, but I don't think there anything we can do in other countries.

Don't trade alone! Let's Talk Money!
Stocks, Options, Crypto, Forex, Dividends and the Commodities market

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:33:46 PM
Last edit: July 09, 2011, 03:51:51 PM by epi 1:10,000

Is there anyway the community can file an ethics claim against this guy Asshole?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:57:28 PM

If someone is willing to donate i can submit a trademark registration in Portugal.
I wouldn't be able to donate it to the community, as it needs to be a company to regsiter it, but i am willing to sign all the documents the community wants me to, to assure that i will never use it to extort money from bitcoin. Smiley

It's already done  Shocked

Can be seen here http://servicosonline.inpi.pt/pesquisas/GetSintesePDF?nord=3426931 PDF file!

I can be wrong, but i suspect whoever registered it is just a squatter, just like that lawyer, as they don't seem very technological to me, seeing as they don't even have a website for the company  Huh

The good news are, they must sell at least one product every 10 years using the trademark, or else they lose the right to it(probably they'll just have to pay to register it again).
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 05:26:01 PM

Relax.

Trademarks may be dealt out on a first-to-file rule in many countries.

But: it does not necessarily follow that he will be able to sue anybody who used them before.

Here in Germany for example, it is absolutely valid to claim a trademark on a first-to-file basis.
It is also possible to sue somebody who violates your trademark after you filed it.
But your claim of the trademark is restricted to new businesses using your trademark for that same purpose, you claimed it for. And, in addition to that, your trademark may still be invalid for the use you were trying to claim it for, if earlier use can be proven.

In the end, what we will probably end up with, is a lawyer who will try to scare / blackmail new smaller businesses into paying a small royalty for use of his trademark. That is already an "established businessmodel" here in Germany, but sooner or later, a lot of these guys end up losing their trademark / their lawyer status, and finally some of them even end up in jail.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 05:31:46 PM

In the end, what we will probably end up with, is a lawyer who will try to scare / blackmail new smaller businesses into paying a small royalty for use of his trademark. That is already an "established businessmodel" here in Germany, but sooner or later, a lot of these guys end up losing their trademark / their lawyer status, and finally some of them even end up in jail.

I would certianly like to see Michael Pascazi sanctioned.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 06:06:26 PM

Well, we can start by giving the moron a bad name!

I opened up a website called Michael S. Pascazi is a scammer!

Please go there and write something about what he is doing. No need to regsiter to submit a post! With a bit of luck maybe it can reach google's first page for Michael S. Pascazi searches. Cheesy

Oh, it would help if every time someone writes his name it get's hyperlinked there, like this Michael S. Pascazi Wink
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 06:53:26 PM

Isn' that the URL for Pascazi Law Offices?

Shouldn't hurt to register Michael S. Pascazi as a trademark for swindle everywhere either.  Or human feces and other things which one naturally associate the name with.  Perhaps only Pascazi, in case it can be disputed if we use the full name.  "Pascazi the retarded lawyer" action figures could be a hit.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 07:22:14 PM

Well, we can start by giving the moron a bad name!

I guess it would be easier to write a good article about him and what he does, and post that to wikipedia. #1 google rank for that is almost certain.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
bittersweet

Activity: 222

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 07:26:53 PM

Perhaps Bitcoin assassination market wasn't such a bad idea...

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 08:38:33 PM

I will wait for his lawsuit because of my website Cheesy
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 01:50:19 AM
Last edit: July 10, 2011, 02:05:01 AM by psy

oops www.google.com/search?q=Michael+S.+Pascazi

is it just me or did it went straight to #5?  Shocked

C'mmon guys, everybody give it a +1 on the google search for Michael S. Pascazi

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:52:24 PM

So who can we trust to file the trademark stuff in the USA?
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 07:58:45 PM

So who can we trust to file the trademark stuff in the USA?

I say we leave it without. Who cares about that shit anyway?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Fakeman

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 01:20:49 PM

I believe this effort will most likely be completely fruitless in financial terms even if it succeeds. Worst case scenario, people operating bitcoin related sites in the affected countries will have to move their servers elsewhere or just call bitcoins something else, e.g. just plain "coin". Try trademarking that.

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: