Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:23:13 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: suitable motherboards for old-supercomputing rack with many gpus?  (Read 542 times)
Temuujin (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 03:47:59 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2013, 04:23:45 AM by Temuujin

Hi. I just acquired a server rackmount at my office that they were about to toss, with fans, power, and all that, in a chilly A/C room.
I am new to all of this. I intend to get lots of GPUs, though. What motherboards would be suitable for rigs that hold more than the standard 6 or less video cards? I am getting 48 gpus to start.
Thank you for any tips and pointers.
-Temuujin

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 03:59:52 AM

None.

GPU mining is dead.  Even if it wasn't the only way to run 6 GPU (except watercooling which is too expensive) is to use extenders to spread them out and that will never fit in a rackmount case.   With even 3 GPU you will likely burn them up in confined rackmount chassis.

If you buy 48 GPU today I 100% guarantee you will lose money. 
Temuujin (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 04:03:06 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2013, 04:25:00 AM by Temuujin

None.

GPU mining is dead.  Even if it wasn't the only way to run 6 GPU (except watercooling which is too expensive) is to use extenders to spread them out and that will never fit in a rackmount case.   With even 3 GPU you will likely burn them up in confined rackmount chassis.

If you buy 48 GPU today I 100% guarantee you will lose money.  

Wait..., GPU mining is dead? Even for the goal of litecoin mining (which is what this is for?)
Please clarify.  I thought litecoins can only be mined with GPU.
Maybe I miscommunicated; I have aquired a huge rack that was used to house an SGI supercomputer (7'x3'x5'). It is huge. The unit is in a 40°F cooled room; cooling is not an issue. I see pictures of ghetto gpu rigs with 4-5 gpus in milk crates all over this forum; surely 6 will it in a 7ft-tall supercomputer housing, no?

I have already ordered asics for bitcoin mining or ppcoin, but that is going to take 2+ months before I get them delivered.

So setting up a litecoin rig useless?
QuantumKiwi

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 05:33:09 AM

Custom GPU boards rather than motherboards, yes.

Using traditional ways to mine is now useless.

Get some custom FPGA/GPU chipsets, boards and boom - You have your own rig, if mass producable - a product.

Starting your own website?
CLOUD Hosting from $4.95/0.05BTC!
Temuujin (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:58:53 AM

If traditional mining is useless, then might as well go focus my energy on something more productive other than cryptocurrency. Good luck fellas.!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: