Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:33:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: One thousand dollars missing from my USD wallet  (Read 156 times)
coinbase-stole-my-money (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:56:36 AM

I recently started dabbling in bitcoin and cryptocurrency this month. I decided to go with Coinbase to fund my first bitcoin purchase since they seemed to be reputable with a lot of good buzz from investors, mainstream financial press, etc. I am really starting to regret this decision. Here is what happened.

1) I funded my Coinbase account for the first time with $1,000 ACH transfer from my bank on January 3, 2018.

2) My online bank statement shows $1,000 was debited out of my bank account from Coinbase the next day on January 4.

3) As of January 9, my Coinbase account still showed the transaction as pending under recent transactions on the Coinbase website.

4) As of January 10, my $1,000 transaction has mysteriously disappeared from the list of transactions Coinbase. There is no trace on the Coinbase website that the transaction has even occurred.

5) My USD wallet on Coinbase still shows $0.00. There is no record anywhere on Coinbase of this $1,000 transaction, as if it never happened. But there IS a record of it on my bank statement that proves it was sent to Coinbase.

6) I will be filing a complaint with my bank first thing in the morning when they open as well as FDIC and CFPB.

7) Is Coinbase a scam? You decide. From where I'm sitting it sure looks like it. Do a Google search for "coinbase scam" and you can find hundreds of similar complaints from Coinbase customers.

Cool Coinbase may be turning into the next Mt. Gox former biggest crypto exchange that went bankrupt and took all its customers money with it! I wish I knew about Mt. Gox beforehand I would have never started into this racket!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 11:58:29 AM

I recently started dabbling in bitcoin and cryptocurrency this month. I decided to go with Coinbase to fund my first bitcoin purchase since they seemed to be reputable with a lot of good buzz from investors, mainstream financial press, etc. I am really starting to regret this decision. Here is what happened.

1) I funded my Coinbase account for the first time with $1,000 ACH transfer from my bank on January 3, 2018.

2) My online bank statement shows $1,000 was debited out of my bank account from Coinbase the next day on January 4.

3) As of January 9, my Coinbase account still showed the transaction as pending under recent transactions on the Coinbase website.

4) As of January 10, my $1,000 transaction has mysteriously disappeared from the list of transactions Coinbase. There is no trace on the Coinbase website that the transaction has even occurred.

5) My USD wallet on Coinbase still shows $0.00. There is no record anywhere on Coinbase of this $1,000 transaction, as if it never happened. But there IS a record of it on my bank statement that proves it was sent to Coinbase.

6) I will be filing a complaint with my bank first thing in the morning when they open as well as FDIC and CFPB.

7) Is Coinbase a scam? You decide. From where I'm sitting it sure looks like it. Do a Google search for "coinbase scam" and you can find hundreds of similar complaints from Coinbase customers.

Cool Coinbase may be turning into the next Mt. Gox former biggest crypto exchange that went bankrupt and took all its customers money with it! I wish I knew about Mt. Gox beforehand I would have never started into this racket!

Since you didn't post any addresses or transaction id's, i'm going to make an educated guess: My best guess would be that they created a transaction funding your address, but added insufficient fees.
A "default" setup node will drop unconfirmed transactions after 72 hours. I don't know how coinbase's nodes are setup, but if they use the default config, your unconfirmed transaction would have dissapeared after ~3days.

If you can get your hands on the transaction id, i can look it up on my node (i keep more unconfirmed tx's for a longer time) and give you the raw tx to rebroadcast.
If you can't get your hands on the tx id, the address your were funding might work aswell...

please keep in mind, with the amount of information you supplied, i could only make an educated guess... There is no guarantee that this is what really happened. I'm also unfamiliar with the inner workings of coinbase, since i never used them myself...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Bestprint

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:00:41 PM

Wow this is one of the first time I've seen someone losing their money in coinbase.
Have you tried to contact the admin? It may be due to bugs in their website, you may want to check properly before concluding. And these few months coinbase database has boomed to a new high with lots of new signups so maybe their server couldn't handle the load.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:03:08 PM

ACH transfers can sometimes not go through or can be reversed. I was a Mt Got customer and can assure you, Coinbase is no Mt. Gox.

Do ask for an explanation from the entity that sent the ACH.

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:12:12 PM

Since you didn't post any addresses or transaction id's, i'm going to make an educated guess: My best guess would be that they created a transaction funding your address, but added insufficient fees.
A "default" setup node will drop unconfirmed transactions after 72 hours. I don't know how coinbase's nodes are setup, but if they use the default config, your unconfirmed transaction would have dissapeared after ~3days.

If you can get your hands on the transaction id, i can look it up on my node (i keep more unconfirmed tx's for a longer time) and give you the raw tx to rebroadcast.
If you can't get your hands on the tx id, the address your were funding might work aswell...

please keep in mind, with the amount of information you supplied, i could only make an educated guess... There is no guarantee that this is what really happened. I'm also unfamiliar with the inner workings of coinbase, since i never used them myself...

What do you mean by transaction ID? The ID Coinbase assigned to it or my bank?

Insufficient funds? That is not possible. I spoke to my bank the other day and they confirmed the thousand dollars was indeed sent to Coinbase's bank.

Coinbase did send me an email on Jan 3 to confirm that I started the transaction on the same day I started it, an email which I still have. The email does show the transaction ID Coinbase assigned to it and states the money should be available in 3 to 4 days but it has been over seven days. When I log into my account the transaction isn't listed anywhere on their website. It was there for several days but mysteriously disappeared along with my money.
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 12:27:59 PM

Insufficient funds? That is not possible. I spoke to my bank the other day and they confirmed the thousand dollars was indeed sent to Coinbase's bank.

Coinbase did send me an email on Jan 3 to confirm that I started the transaction on the same day I started it, an email which I still have. The email does show the transaction ID Coinbase assigned to it and states the money should be available in 3 to 4 days but it has been over seven days. When I log into my account the transaction isn't listed anywhere on their website. It was there for several days but mysteriously disappeared along with my money.

I mean the transaction id coinbase gave you... I can only assume it's a valid bitcoin transaction id, and not a coinbase internal code. I don't recall saying anything about insufficient funds, so i'm unsure why you're bringing this up???

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:36:08 PM

I mean the transaction id coinbase gave you... I can only assume it's a valid bitcoin transaction id, and not a coinbase internal code. I don't recall saying anything about insufficient funds, so i'm unsure why you're bringing this up???

Here's a copy of the automated Coinbase email I got when I started the transaction.
They call it a deposit reference. I would appreciate it if you could look it up. btw, my USD wallet in GDAX also shows 0.00 funds.

--------------------------------
On Wednesday Jan 3, 2018 you authorized Coinbase to fund your Stored Value Account with $1,000.00 from your linked bank account. We have debited your linked bank account accordingly.

Deposit reference: 8XZA5Q8D

Within 2-4 business days, these funds should be available in your GDAX balance. Coinbase does not charge a fee for this transaction.
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 12:39:57 PM

Here's a copy of the automated Coinbase email I got when I started the transaction.
They call it a deposit reference. I would appreciate it if you could look it up. btw, my USD wallet in GDAX also shows 0.00 funds.

On Wednesday Jan 3, 2018 you authorized Coinbase to fund your Stored Value Account with $1,000.00 from your linked bank account. We have debited your linked bank account accordingly.

Within 2-4 business days, these funds should be available in your GDAX balance. Coinbase does not charge a fee for this transaction.

Sorry to tell you, but that's an internal id, not a transaction id Sad.
If this is the only info you have, the only one that can help you is coinbase's support dept... Sorry.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:52:08 PM

Sorry to tell you, but that's an internal id, not a transaction id Sad.
If this is the only info you have, the only one that can help you is coinbase's support dept... Sorry.

Alright this should be the one you want.

01/04/2018   COINBASE.COM/BTC ID: 1455293997 CO: COINBASE.COM/BTC    $1,000.00   
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 01:24:58 PM

Sorry, but that's still not a transaction id... A transaction id is 256 bits = 64 characters.
The address they were funding would also work, a bitcoin address starts with a 1, a 3 or the characters 'bc'

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
chuckblocker

Activity: 126
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 01:32:20 PM

He never got to buy any bitcoins because coinbase never credited his account in the first place. He never got to the "buy bitcoins part", so no blockchain tx id.

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 06:08:36 PM

Sorry, but that's still not a transaction id... A transaction id is 256 bits = 64 characters.
The address they were funding would also work, a bitcoin address starts with a 1, a 3 or the characters 'bc'

As chuckblocker said I never got to buy any bitcoins because they took my money but never funded my account.

I am in the process of filing complaints with my bank, the bank Coinbase uses in New York and consumer regulatory agencies.
popolite11

Activity: 882
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 09:55:30 AM

That’s pity thing about the disappearance of money from Coinbase. I don’t use this platform after some of my friends lost their money there. There is in the wind that Coinbase techsupport have not answers on user’s questions and silent for weeks.
londoireng

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 10:02:04 AM

Try to make support ticket, but im sure that gonna take long time too cause their support is death bot
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: