Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:05:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on this Decentralized Biometric concept.  (Read 272 times)
Ucy (OP)

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:55:49 PM

Is it possible to create a Blockchain where millions of user's Biometric identifiers (Fingerprint, iris,facial feature,palm print,DNA etc) can be stored and made impossible to be copied/seen by either government, companies or individual... they can only access the Biometric data for verifications through the Blockchain API.         Am wondering whether the API could somehow leak users Biometric data.

The purpose of the Decentralised Biometric is to prevent identity fraud on the Internet without violating privacy/anonymity principles. Only the Blockchain can know users Biometric data.   It will enable  Websites, Companies, Institutions to verify their users identity through the Blockchain's API without having access to the copy of their Biometric data. Bitcointalk for example, can integrate this and use it to verify suspected members ( this should be voluntary) through the  Blockchain API.
Users will have list of websites or services connected to their Blockchain accounts by going to Settings. They can revoke access to sites they don't like.
Users will have TOTAL control of their Data on the Blockchain platform which they can turn on/off whenever they want. The more Biometric Identifiers a user has, the higher his/her Reputation.  Reputation will be in color. High Reputation = Deep green

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 06:07:51 PM

Probably that's not possible. Biometrics is like symmetric (ie. "password-based") encryption. It's like you translate your biometric features into a key which is then shared with someone. There's no way AFAICT to translate biometrics into an asymmetric setting, which is what you want.

I think that nowadays biometrics has mostly been discredited for serious authentication. It just tends to be too easy to fool: eg. you can get someone's fingerprint off of a glass (or off of the readings of a compromised biometrics device) and then make a copy in a 3D printer or something. I think that nowadays biometrics is used mostly in niche settings where people can't be trusted to create a secure password, but yet you can't force them to learn how to create secure passwords. In those cases, using biometrics (maybe plus some other stuff) is at least a bit better than having people use "love123" as their password.
Ucy (OP)

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 12:49:34 PM

Thank you sir for the wonderful & helpful comment. But am not giving up yet.. unless I find better alternative. I thought hiding the Data with unbreakable encryption would be the way to go.
 I need stuff like this for authentication purposes,  also for some small projects. Would be lovely if  it is used within a team or something & becomes widely used eventually..  Wouldn't matter though if am the only one using it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: