Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:40:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 only $1995 on their website. Why so high on Amazon...  (Read 262 times)
Anarc Senior (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 01:48:36 PM

I see on antminer web site that I could pay one antminer S9 directly from their website for only $1995 free shipping.  Why is listed so much higher on the US websites - can somebody explain why ??
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 01:52:26 PM

Because people are on FOMO at the moment and are ready to pay crazy prices for mining hardware.

Actually, the latest batch sales price was 2320 USD and it was sold very quickly.

Bitmain official webshop: https://shop.bitmain.com/main.htm?lang=en

^ This is the only official Bitmain webshop.

Anarc Senior (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 02:12:29 PM

Because people are on FOMO at the moment and are ready to pay crazy prices for mining hardware.

Actually, the latest batch sales price was 2320 USD and it was sold very quickly.

But I could order one right night on their website for $1995 !  Is it safe ? Should I go ahead and order Huh

How long does it usually take to get to the US, in California ?
CompleteXen

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 02:17:36 PM

But I could order one right night on their website for $1995 !  Is it safe ? Should I go ahead and order Huh

$2,000? Probably not. Getting hard to find any in the US less than $4,000. Most sellers locally are going for $5,500-$6,000 no PSU, most sell within 2minutes here less than $5,000.

Just use your best judgement, its probably too good to be true.
Anarc Senior (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 02:59:27 PM

$2,000? Probably not. Getting hard to find any in the US less than $4,000. Most sellers locally are going for $5,500-$6,000 no PSU, most sell within 2minutes here less than $5,000.

Just use your best judgement, its probably too good to be true.

My friend:  please read my op carefully - you are missing the point !
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 03:02:37 PM

If you buy from bitmain directly, it should be safe.

However, there are some things that might explain the price difference:
- if you buy locally, you won't have to pay import duties and import tax
- if you buy locally, you won't have to wait for weeks (or longer)
- if you buy from a local vendor, you *might* have extended warrantee (i don't know if this is the case within the US)
- if you buy from a local vendor, other things *might* be included (like a PSU, network cables, power cables,...)

Do be carefull when you don't buy from bitmain directly: there are a lot of scammers out there!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Anarc Senior (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 03:05:25 PM

I see on antminer web site that I could pay one antminer S9 directly from their website for only $1995 free shipping.  Why is listed so much higher on the US websites - can somebody explain why ??

To clarify a little more:  this is the price from Antminer own website.  Can anybody tell me how long it should take for the unit to arrive in CA ? Is there any risk?

To others whose has not ordered from directly from Antminer , and not familiar with this, please donot offer your opinion.  I'd like to get facts, not your opinions !!
Anarc Senior (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 03:07:21 PM

If you buy from bitmain directly, it should be safe.

However, there are some things that might explain the price difference:
- if you buy locally, you won't have to pay import duties and import tax
- if you buy locally, you won't have to wait for weeks (or longer)
- if you buy from a local vendor, you *might* have extended warrantee (i don't know if this is the case within the US)
- if you buy from a local vendor, other things *might* be included (like a PSU, network cables, power cables,...)

Do be carefull when you don't buy from bitmain directly: there are a lot of scammers out there!

How much does it cost for tax and fee to buy from CA USA ?
wavelengthsf

Activity: 658
Merit: 118

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 03:55:17 PM

How much does it cost for tax and fee to buy from CA USA ?

Import duties are around $50 per S9 (direct from Bitmain of course.)

CA sales tax is something like 8%, which they ask you to self report on your taxes.

Bitmain only accepts BCH, so whatever fees you get charged to buy that from your exchange.

Power supplies will run you another $200 or so. Shipping is something like $100, but it changes all the time.

So in total you're at:

$2320 for the machine, $200 for the PSU, $100 for shipping, $50 for import duty (or around $2370.)

Keep in mind you shouldn't run these on 110v power. They really need 220v for max efficiency. Also keep in mine PG&E rates are typically are .35 per KWh at residential rates, so each S9 is about $12.60 in power costs per day.
HagssFIN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 05:36:55 PM

As far as I know the latest S9 batch price was 2320 USD.

@Anarc Senior
Can you post the link to the product page where you saw it for the 1995 USD price?

Anarc Senior (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 06:55:02 PM

@Anarc Senior
Can you post the link to the product page where you saw it for the 1995 USD price?

It turns out this is a distributor in Holland.  Does anybody have any experience with them ?

Here's there website - could be a scam...

https://antminershopnetwork.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:00:14 PM

Is there any reason you can't include a URL for what you are looking at? "A distributor in Holland" isn't all that useful for most folks, particularly if you are looking for a recommendation.

The $1995 price sounds too low to me to be legit. Anybody that actually has a working S9 that they could ship today, would be asking more than Bitmain. What are their payment terms, and delivery schedule?

Looks like you updated you post as I was responding.

HagssFIN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 07:09:07 PM

@Anarc Senior

It turns out this is a distributor in Holland.  Does anybody have any experience with them ?

Here's there website - could be a scam...

https://antminershopnetwork.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

That is not the official Bitmain shop.

That looks like a fake webshop, hosted by scammers.

And prices are way too cheap.

alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:12:47 PM

Just for grins, I followed up with the posted URL. The sale is actually for the S9 + 1600W AWP3 power supply. When you push on through to "Checkout" I found that the shipping is free. The two valid forms of payment are:

SEPA Bank Transfer - Available only for European Union residents

-or-

Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies

I declined to actually complete the order.  Smiley

This seems like a classic scam to me.....but I have no actual experience with these folks.
Anarc Senior (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:41:57 PM

Ok.  It looks like the website from Holland is most likely a scam...thank you guys - I'm glad I checked in...

Let's move on next:

1). I think even at $2,300 for Antminer S9, is still way better than $6,000 price being sold on Amazon or other websites...

2). HagssFin, you sound like you are familiar with ordering Antminer S9 from China to the US.  I know there's probably plenty of information about this...but its really hard to go through of BS to get to the real information...

Whoever familiar with this purchasing Antminer from china please give me the bottom line the pro and con

Thank you in advance for you information.

Cheers,
HagssFIN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 07:49:46 PM

I'm not in the US, but in Finland.

I've got one reliable advice for you--> https://shop.bitmain.com/antminer_s9_asic_bitcoin_miner.htm

kebabman

Activity: 655
Merit: 504

You wan chili saus?

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:51:13 PM

Ordering from Bitmain direct:

Pro - it's not a scam, you will get your miner.
Con - you have to wait 3 months for your miner, and you can only pay in BCash.
Pro - Bitmain have a warranty on their miners
Con - it requires sending it back to China to use that warranty
Pro - the APW3++ PSU is in stock and reasonably priced, and it's a nice efficient PSU
Con - shipping fees are high and you have to pay import duty ($50-75 per miner)
Pro - if Bitmain say they are in stock, they are in stock, no chance of your order being cancelled 2-3 months later because "oops we oversold sorry" (MinerWarez scam)
Con - you need to constantly watch Bitmaintech on Twitter or refresh their site all the time to actually catch them in stock, they sell out very quickly (ofter under an hour). You need to make sure you have the BCash on hand they will cancel your order if you do not pay within one hour of submitting.

Overall, I wouldnt buy from anywhere except Bitmain, but it is neither cheap nor fast, and having to use BCash is a pain in the butt.
Anarc Senior (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:54:24 PM

I'm not in the US, but in Finland.

I've got one reliable advice for you--> https://shop.bitmain.com/antminer_s9_asic_bitcoin_miner.htm

Thank you Sir !
Anarc Senior (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:59:57 PM

Pro - it's not a scam, you will get your miner.
Con - you have to wait 3 months for your miner, and you can only pay in BCash.
Pro - Bitmain have a warranty on their miners
Con - it requires sending it back to China to use that warranty
Pro - the APW3++ PSU is in stock and reasonably priced, and it's a nice efficient PSU
Con - shipping fees are high and you have to pay import duty ($50-75 per miner)
Pro - if Bitmain say they are in stock, they are in stock, no chance of your order being cancelled 2-3 months later because "oops we oversold sorry" (MinerWarez scam)
Con - you need to constantly watch Bitmaintech on Twitter or refresh their site all the time to actually catch them in stock, they sell out very quickly (ofter under an hour). You need to make sure you have the BCash on hand they will cancel your order if you do not pay within one hour of submitting.

Overall, I wouldnt buy from anywhere except Bitmain, but it is neither cheap nor fast, and having to use BCash is a pain in the butt.

Thank you ! I either understand or agree with everything you said.  

One news just came out this morning that China is going to shutdown the mining pool operations in their country.  Sounds like a good news to decentralization of mining...also, I think there will be a flood of Antminer equipment exiting from china  to the US, Canada and Europe very soon...
rvf

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 04:49:19 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2018, 05:24:25 PM by rvf

Also you can think about it this way - In addition to "the fear of missing out" (FOMO) that is allowing sellers to mark up the price you are also paying the seller (1) to do all the hassle mentioned elsewhere in this thread to buy from bitmain (2) you are essentially using the seller's money for 1-3 months while it sits in BTC/BCC earning nothing until a batch goes up for sale, then they make the order in the short window before the batch sells out, then they wait for the batch to be produced, and wait for shipping from China.  If they used that money to mine for that 1-3 months they would get some profits in BTC.  Instead that money is tied up in the miner that is sitting in the box, earning nothing, waiting for you to buy it.  They may also offer you tech-support to help get it configured and making money if you are a new miner.  The seller wants you to compensate them for that since they are not mining with the device while waiting for a buyer.

Some of that pricing reflects Dec/Jan when batches would sell out in minutes, you had to wait a long time, and BTC market price was $12000-16000 which was the other thing the seller could have been doing with their money.

I tried buying one in DEC from bitmain.  Coinbase was taking 14 days to convert USD to BTC -- then you had to buy in the batch window on the bitmain site before they sold out.. and you had to wait for the batch to be produced in China and shipped.  If you were too late trying to buy you had to wait another month till next batch.  Many people wanted to start mining without waiting all that time and the Amazon and eBay prices reflected the value of being able to get a unit fast and start mining.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: