Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:46:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about a gaming pc + mining  (Read 122 times)
Kryptowolf512 (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 105

German Translator - Hire me on Bitcointalk!

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 02:03:44 PM

Hi guys,
im about to build a new gaming pc with a gtx 1080ti and have some questions for mining. Currently i have a gtx 1070... is it possible if im getting the new pc that i put the gtx 1070 in it? Only for mining?
Or more than only one 1070?
So the combination is like Gtx 1080ti + gtx 1070
and gtx 1080ti + gtx 1070 + gtx 1070
And my PSU should be enough for this with 850W

Is this possible? Or is it damaging something, or is it consuming to much power?
Need your advice
Thanks Smiley
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 02:57:47 PM

It will be fine.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Kryptowolf512 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 03:03:12 PM

But if im gaming, what is my computer doing with the gtx 1070? Is it just like in a standby mode or?
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 03:05:31 PM

Hi guys,
im about to build a new gaming pc with a gtx 1080ti and have some questions for mining. Currently i have a gtx 1070... is it possible if im getting the new pc that i put the gtx 1070 in it? Only for mining?

Is this possible? Or is it damaging something, or is it consuming to much power?
Need your advice
Thanks Smiley

Assuming you have a quality 850W PSU and have the necessary PCIe slots, it should be fine with 1x 1070, and probably 2. (Assuming you have enough connectors and don't have a ridiculously power-hungry CPU+other components.)

Of course, you'll probably want to remove the cards from the case and get one or more risers to space them out effectively. Keep a close eye on the core temperatures.

But if im gaming, what is my computer doing with the gtx 1070? Is it just like in a standby mode or?

If no monitor is connected to that 1070 (and since you cannot use SLI with a 1070 and 1080ti), the 1070 would be fully available for mining while you are gaming. You can have the mining software use one of your GPUs, or both when you're not using the 1080ti for gaming.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Kryptowolf512 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 03:30:52 PM

Hi guys,

Need your advice
Thanks Smiley

Assuming you have a quality 850W PSU and have the necessary PCIe slots, it should be fine with 1x 1070, and probably 2. (Assuming you have enough connectors and don't have a ridiculously power-hungry CPU+other components.)

Of course, you'll probably want to remove the cards from the case and get one or more risers to space them out effectively. Keep a close eye on the core temperatures.

If no monitor is connected to that 1070 (and since you cannot use SLI with a 1070 and 1080ti), the 1070 would be fully available for mining while you are gaming. You can have the mining software use one of your GPUs, or both when you're not using the 1080ti for gaming.
So, i can game without any problems while im mining with my gtx 1070? Thats awesome. Im really working much and playing maybe  3 or 4 hours a day thats why im using a gtx 1080ti, while im away i can mine with both graphic cards. But great to hear that this cause not much problems. I think i will get a big tower with a lot of cooling stuff
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 03:35:07 PM

Hi guys,

Need your advice
Thanks Smiley

So, i can game without any problems while im mining with my gtx 1070? Thats awesome. Im really working much and playing maybe  3 or 4 hours a day thats why im using a gtx 1080ti, while im away i can mine with both graphic cards. But great to hear that this cause not much problems. I think i will get a big tower with a lot of cooling stuff

It's up to you, but I'd suggest saving your money (unless you were already budgeting for an expensive case) and going for an open frame, especially if you think you may expand beyond 2 cards.

PCIe x16 slots on typical ATX motherboards usually aren't spaced well for cooling two cards (one upper-mid-range and one rather powerful) that will be pegged continuously for the majority of each day.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 04:08:24 PM

You won't have any problems with this.  I have a 860W power supply with 2 gtx 1080s, 2 gtx 1070s, and a gtx 1050i.  I run them all at once to mine, along with my i7-7700k mining cryptonight and haven't ran into any power issues.  When I started I had 2 gtx 1080s and heat did become a problem since the top card was blowing heat down on the one below it.  I ended up getting 2 evga hyrid coolers which solved that problem.    It depends on your motherboard and case but you can generally get 3 or 4 cards inside one case without a problem.  The game will just use the gpu that your monitor is plugged into.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: