Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:42:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Rig Setup -- Problem with OEM Windows 10 Pro I bought off ebay  (Read 214 times)
geekcryptogal (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 06:36:40 PM

Installed it and says the activation key has already been used.  Thing is I looked at seller feedback and there was tons of recent happy customers of this Windows 10 Professional.  I paid $47 for it.

Now I am worried the DVD I got perhaps might not even be legit.

Downloading Windows 10 from Microsoft and going to make USB thumb drive and reinstall windows from a copy I know is safe.  Then I'll use the product key they provided me.  If it fails again I'll call Microsoft to see if they can activate it.

Should I just go with linux install instead?  Can I mine all the top stuff listed on WhatToMine.com with linux install or is windows better?

Also what about simple mining os or the like?

Don't know what to do, got four $525 1070 ti's coming in the mail today and need to get this up and running.  Got a little over 3 grand in this rig so far with 4 cards.

ANother option is I could pay $119 and download Windows 10 home from Microsoft and make thumb drive with that.
But I figured pro was better so that's why I got it off ebay for $47.. (e.g. remote desktop .. in case I get multiple rigs later).

EDIT: Thinking more about linux.. wouldn't the drivers for the 1070 ti be better right now on WIndows? It's a relatively new card and well I am sure Nvidia makes the drivers for WIndows first since they are purchased for gaming PC's.
0xcosmos

Activity: 585
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 06:50:24 PM

if you are going to go with mining only
i will suggest to go with linux
if you are mining with nvidia try nvoc linux distro
if you are mining with amd try smos and ethos
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 06:53:18 PM

contact the seller ... ebay have a buy back policy Smiley
of course if you installed that windows and activated that product code , Microsoft can see your IP Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
geekcryptogal (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:02:57 PM

if you are going to go with mining only
i will suggest to go with linux
if you are mining with nvidia try nvoc linux distro
if you are mining with amd try smos and ethos

So should I download this dist?

https://nvoc-mining-os.com/downloads/download-page-nvidea/
tutulfo

Activity: 322
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:51:33 PM

Why do you need activate windows?

No problem for mining if you dont activate

Megaminer - Multi pool / Multi Algo launcher https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2059039.0
BTC: 1AVMHnFgc6SW33cwqrDyy2Fug9CsS8u6TM -------   LTC:  LVwuYbAvbMDVapheQBA7o2qQ2mKTEXVDbX
BCH: 1N7wsg4JmWJLP6BuHUP5rwsAXnQjTWPBjr --------  ETH: 0x9b7A01Bf5bD29c66d228d372B5bD1C43cDb78AcC
Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:54:50 PM

Installed it and says the activation key has already been used.  Thing is I looked at seller feedback and there was tons of recent happy customers of this Windows 10 Professional.  I paid $47 for it.

Downloading Windows 10 from Microsoft and going to make USB thumb drive and reinstall windows from a copy I know is safe.  Then I'll use the product key they provided me.  If it fails again I'll call Microsoft to see if they can activate it.

Should I just go with linux install instead?  Can I mine all the top stuff listed on WhatToMine.com with linux install or is windows better?

Don't know what to do, got four $525 1070 ti's coming in the mail today and need to get this up and running.  Got a little over 3 grand in this rig so far with 4 cards.

ANother option is I could pay $119 and download Windows 10 home from Microsoft and make thumb drive with that.
But I figured pro was better so that's why I got it off ebay for $47.. (e.g. remote desktop .. in case I get multiple rigs later).

EDIT: Thinking more about linux.. wouldn't the drivers for the 1070 ti be better right now on WIndows? It's a relatively new card and well I am sure Nvidia makes the drivers for WIndows first since they are purchased for gaming PC's.

Buddy, what the fuck did I just read? You DON'T NEED TO ACTIVATE WINDOWS 10!!!!!!!!!!

Literally just download it and use it..... microsoft is fine with this, only caveat is that you will have a watermark in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:02:52 PM

theres nothing you can do, if it says its used apon activating it, its used theres no way around it, 47 dollars is a rip off, you could have went on amazon and got one for cheaper like 5 to 10 dollars cheap atleast last I checked anyways

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:04:32 PM

Buddy, what the fuck did I just read? You DON'T NEED TO ACTIVATE WINDOWS 10!!!!!!!!!!

Literally just download it and use it..... microsoft is fine with this, only caveat is that you will have a watermark in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

yeah only lazy peeps don't activate it when theres a cheap way of getting an os, heck I downloaded mine off torrent from a place ive used for many many years, heck if ya want free go use Linux, btw @op windows 10 home sucks balls, the only version you need to worry yourself with is either the pro version or enterprise version

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:09:03 PM

You shouldn't buy any Microsoft product outside their official website/store since usually they sell either fake, hacked or OEM product which shouldn't be sold to regular customer.

I strongly advice you to use Linux distro if you only use your PC for mining. Furthermore, there are many Linux distro which specialized for cryptocurrency (such as Simple Mining), user-friendly (or at least there's user-friendly guide/documentation) and obviously you don't need spend money for OS Smiley

except using Linux OP will have to learn a shit ton a new stuff, which they said they have gpus coming today and need to get the rig up TODAY, having them use Linux if they don't know anything about it is a very poor suggestion

geekcryptogal (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:25:43 PM

I've used linux (and various unix & unix-like dists) since about 1993, off and on.  I know my way around in the shell a bit.. probably forgot a lot but it could come back fast. 
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:30:38 PM

I've used linux (and various unix & unix-like dists) since about 1993, off and on.  I know my way around in the shell a bit.. probably forgot a lot but it could come back fast. 
then all the more reason for you to use Linux instead of windows, I'm sure there will be some new things youll learn as stuff has changed a lot since 93

geekcryptogal (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:36:09 PM

I've used linux (and various unix & unix-like dists) since about 1993, off and on.  I know my way around in the shell a bit.. probably forgot a lot but it could come back fast.  
then all the more reason for you to use Linux instead of windows, I'm sure there will be some new things youll learn as stuff has changed a lot since 93

Is Rufus the best way to burn ISO to thumb drive?  I downloaded the nvoc v0019-14 version for nvidia.  Trying to burn it in a windows 7 pro virtual machine on my mac.  There is no right click "burn image" on win 7 it appears.  I haven't run windows 10 before.  Been on Mac for past 9 years or so.  Used to run windows up until Windows 7.
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 09:44:31 PM

I've used linux (and various unix & unix-like dists) since about 1993, off and on.  I know my way around in the shell a bit.. probably forgot a lot but it could come back fast.  

Is Rufus the best way to burn ISO to thumb drive?  I downloaded the nvoc v0019-14 version for nvidia.  Trying to burn it in a windows 7 pro virtual machine on my mac.  There is no right click "burn image" on win 7 it appears.  I haven't run windows 10 before.  Been on Mac for past 9 years or so.  Used to run windows up until Windows 7.

first off don't use a thumb drive, there crap to use with an OS especially windows, Linux you can sometimes get away with it but youll still be replacing it down the road compared to using an ssd, iso's aren't burned to anything except a dvd, nvoc gets directly copied to said drive, theres no burning of discs as its non installable like a normal Linux distro

martyroz

Activity: 325
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 09:50:09 PM

theres nothing you can do, if it says its used apon activating it, its used theres no way around it, 47 dollars is a rip off, you could have went on amazon and got one for cheaper like 5 to 10 dollars cheap atleast last I checked anyways

I don't agree with this. I bought a key from kinguin and on installation it said that the key was in use. I re-read the sellers instructions and they said to activate via phone number, which I did and have had no problems since.

OP: Try activating via phone.

EDIT: Buy a $10 USB stick and install linux (nvOC, etc) on it. I only use windows for Vegas.
geekcryptogal (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 09:50:56 PM

I am using etcher (mac software) to make the thumb drive from the nvoc image.  I'll install to SSD.. I actually have a 120GB ssd I am using for the rig (brand new).. just installed the bad copy of windows 10 pro on it.  I'll write over that with the nvoc if all goes well.
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 09:52:14 PM

I am using etcher (mac software) to make the thumb drive from the nvoc image.  I'll install to SSD.. I actually have a 120GB ssd I am using for the rig (brand new).. just installed the bad copy of windows 10 pro on it.  I'll write over that with the nvoc if all goes well.

why not just save yourself some time and put it on the ssd instead of having to do it twice like a fool lol. all that's doing is wasting time

geekcryptogal (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:00:41 PM

why not just save yourself some time and put it on the ssd instead of having to do it twice like a fool lol. all that's doing is wasting time

If i don't make the thumb drive image, how do you suggest I install nvoc on the ssd on the rig?
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 01:15:32 AM

You can go for the manual activation options.  If regular activation fails it should direct you to call an 800 number.  At least on previous versions of Windows this happened... Make sure you download the right image for your key.  If you have a key for Windows 10 32-bit it will only work on 32-bit, not 64-bit.  They are not universal.
geekcryptogal (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 01:22:12 AM

The Windows 10 Pro seller has a 99+% rating on ebay.  Sold like 436 of these WIndows 10 Pro OEM disks with COA.  I looked at the feedback for the seller and tons of positive comments regarding the product I was interested in.  SO that's why I bought it.

I am installing WIndows 10 64 bit from a USB thumb drive.  I downloaded the image from microsoft and made the thumb drive using their tool.  I made sure I selected 64 bit and what I purchased from ebay was in fact 64 bit as well.

I'll see how it goes.. I'll try calling it in.  The seller emailed me back and told me to call a number and try other things, and interestingly gave me another product key to use.. although I think I'd want a physical copy of COA sticker in case I'd ever want to resale this.
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 01:27:35 AM

I had to call Microsoft once when I changed a motherboard on an OEM to manually activate, but this is different. Was you OEM package sealed? If it was, how could the key be already used? Did you get the COA?

I'm not sure it's actually illegal to use an OEM to build a rig, after all you are "manufacturing a system", maybe a grey area? Some sellers on ebay offer to provide the broken hardware, but I'm not sure if that really changes anything.

I've seen sellers with very good reputation selling OEM Windows i.e. https://www.ebay.com/usr/shopsofweb Always check the reputation of the seller and how long has been selling on eBay.

Now your option is to open a case on eBay, you should be protected.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: