Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 02:17:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for examples on how you diversified your portfolio  (Read 118 times)
TotleCrypto (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 4

Crypto Investing Made Easy

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 07:23:39 PM

We have been working on our Totle Portfolio Management platform that will be released later this year (more info here: www.totle.com), but I wanted to hear some thoughts on how you like to diversify your holdings?

Do you just hold 1-5 coins or do you push it into the 20's and 30's? If you have such a large amount of coins, how did you go about acquiring them all? Would love to hear some stories about your experiences in diversifying your portfolio!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

https://www.totle.com
Fileiro

Activity: 134
Merit: 10

quarkchain.io

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:52:31 PM

The most expensive lesson I've learned in trading, is that stop loss orders DON'T WORK!

I don't care how clever you think you are, rely on a broker's stop loss function and eventually you will get ass-raped. HARD.

This is why I use diversification and position size to protect my portfolio.

Some people never put more than 1-2% in each position, I split my portfolio up in 7 portions allocated to one altcoin each.

This is sufficient to keep me out of danger but still make good profit when a coin moves up.

Besides this, I also keep a core holding in bitcoin that only ever gets added to, never sold off from.

Altcoins are for trading, bitcoin is for buy-&-HODL!

Regards,

Fileiro.
boesboes

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:56:39 PM

I hold 5-10 coins and rotate on ICOs. Most of the holdings consist of blockchain 2.0 projects which seem to be hot lately.
ladadadiweliketoparty

Activity: 97

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:07:51 PM

I somehow got myself involved in about 30-35 coins at peak and since then have been reducing my exposure and limiting my sizing moving forward. Main mistake I made was not having a uniform distribution and that has led to some bags being heavier meaning they mean more to me which they shouldn't.

TotleCrypto (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 10:14:10 PM

The most expensive lesson I've learned in trading, is that stop loss orders DON'T WORK!

I don't care how clever you think you are, rely on a broker's stop loss function and eventually you will get ass-raped. HARD.

Why do you say this? Do you have a good example? Not that I probably don't agree with you though!

TotleCrypto (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 10:31:09 PM

I hold 5-10 coins and rotate on ICOs. Most of the holdings consist of blockchain 2.0 projects which seem to be hot lately.

Do you tend to hold coins that you can all hold in one wallet or do you have multiple wallets? What is your fav blockchain 2.0 project?

majest3

Activity: 84
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:01:29 PM

Initially thought the best options was to spread my risk and as such was up to 45 coins. Sounds like a good idea , but it is a lot of work keeping tabs on that many coins. I then realised that 80% of may gains came from 20% of my coins, so l culled nearly half of them, which l find is a lot more manageable.

I do have some regrets about doing that though as some of those coins l sold have now had massive runs up.

Some of the coins were through ICO's but the majority were purchased over a extended period of time through the exchanges.

DeepOnion - Tor integrated - 100% anonymous
===> Join DeepOnion Airdrop NOW! <===​  (https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1620543)
Fileiro

Activity: 134

quarkchain.io

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 05:06:42 AM

Why do you say this? Do you have a good example? Not that I probably don't agree with you though!

Like i mentioned, bitter experience taught me this.

A stop will hold up most of the time. And then, when you really need that shit to work, price will drop so fast that your stop and your backup stop and your 'i'm-fucked-if-this-stop-is-run-over'-EMERGENCY stop will all be worthless.

Trading with only a stop loss to protect your position is the fastest way to put all of your money in someone else's pocket.

Just. Don't. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: