Bitcoin Forum
August 07, 2024, 05:52:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any legal problem for investing to ico as a US citizen?  (Read 97 times)
soultown (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 10:53:07 PM

I am a us citizen currently living in s.korea for a couple of years.

A thing that's been bothering me lately is that

1. Any legal problem if i purchase the ico tokens by sending the btc from Bithumb exchange to the ico website?
Will i be ok?

2. How about for US citizens living in the states and using vpn to invest into ico? any legal problem?

i'd appreciate for any response.
illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 10:58:10 PM

1. Any legal problem if i purchase the ico tokens by sending the btc from Bithumb exchange to the ico website?
Will i be ok?

There shouldn't be any legal problem, but it's probably best to send from a wallet that you control, in case of refunds. If the ICO terms literally prohibit US citizens, it would violate the terms, but I highly doubt any ICO company is enforcing this.

2. How about for US citizens living in the states and using vpn to invest into ico? any legal problem?

I looked into this a few months back. There should be no legal problem for US citizens with investing in ICO tokens. Blocking US IP address is just to cover the ICO company's ass. I couldn't find anything that prohibited misrepresenting our residence, either, although that may change if Senate Bill 1241 gets passed and ICO operators are deemed financial institutions.
mirofame

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:17:10 PM

There is no legal problem in doing so. The problem is if the ICO doesn't accept US investors. And the other problem is you should realize you probably won't get help by your regulators in case of scam. Americans are so used to being insured.
soultown (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:37:13 PM

Will i be ok?

There shouldn't be any legal problem, but it's probably best to send from a wallet that you control, in case of refunds. If the ICO terms literally prohibit US citizens, it would violate the terms, but I highly doubt any ICO company is enforcing this.

I looked into this a few months back. There should be no legal problem for US citizens with investing in ICO tokens. Blocking US IP address is just to cover the ICO company's ass. I couldn't find anything that prohibited misrepresenting our residence, either, although that may change if Senate Bill 1241 gets passed and ICO operators are deemed financial institutions.

Thanks alot for the reply!

i do recognize that it's hard to track if i send btc from my private wallet to ico website.

But my point was sending btc directly from Exchange account to the ico website.

there wouldn't be any difference right?

Also you are saying that even if it could be considered as a legal problem, there'd be no possibility of being indicted or charge of fine  for breaking the law such as Foreign Exchange Control Law,  is that correct?
cryptamod

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 12:08:12 AM

Just use a vpn and it will be all good,ICOs arent really prohibiting U.S citizen to join they are using these to cover up their shitty job.
You arent commiting crime if you joined ICOs,as far as i know.

TWITTER ◣                                ☆ FLUX ☆                             ◢ WHITEPAPER  ◤   17 - 24
       WEBSITE ◣                    GAMING ECOSYSTEM                     ◢ MEDIUM                 April     
           TELEGRAM ◣     VALVE ✧ UBISOFT ✧ Origin ✧ GAMELOFT    ◢ FACEBOOK        Public Sale ◢   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: