Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:08:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the demand still so high for Miners with returns like these?  (Read 4585 times)
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 06:35:45 PM

I was just wondering with the increasing difficulty why the demand is still there for some seemingly high priced (though somewhat readily available) miners that don't seem like they can break even.

After tomorrow's difficulty jump, USB BE units will make ~0.1BTC/month assuming 0% difficulty increases thereafter.
After tomorrow's difficulty jump, blades will make ~3.25BTC/month assuming 0% difficulty increases thereafter.
(AnonBitcoinBuyer posted this on a group buy thread and it seems reasonable.) Can anyone with a better understanding of the difficulty, calculate something more detailed and farther out?

So, an erupter USB stick at .5 BTC (333Mh) or so is probably not going to pay for itself with the difficulty going up as it is. And, a blade costing 10.5 BTC (10-13Gh) or so might not as well.

The reasons why people are so game to get in, might be:
Support the network (me)
It is a hobby, if you break even all the merrier. (me)
A more anonymous way of getting your hands on BTC's.
Expecting a much higher BTC price (but even then, buy them now).
Want to take part in the largest social experiment (outside of money itself) of all time. (me)
Huh

Personally, I got into a group buy for a 400Gh machine with an October delivery. That probably will be profitable if it arrives in October.
My Jalapeno that was ordered at the beginning of June probably won't break even if it comes later than late September.
My chips ordered through a GB and placed though Yifu, might never come.
A wash?

Lots of chances...
IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
JimiQ84

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 06:52:33 PM

I was just wondering with the increasing difficulty why the demand is still there for some seemingly high priced (though somewhat readily available) miners that don't seem like they can break even.

After tomorrow's difficulty jump, USB BE units will make ~0.1BTC/month assuming 0% difficulty increases thereafter.
After tomorrow's difficulty jump, blades will make ~3.25BTC/month assuming 0% difficulty increases thereafter.
(AnonBitcoinBuyer posted this on a group buy thread and it seems reasonable.) Can anyone with a better understanding of the difficulty, calculate something more detailed and farther out?

So, an erupter USB stick at .5 BTC (333Mh) or so is probably not going to pay for itself with the difficulty going up as it is. And, a blade costing 10.5 BTC (10-13Gh) or so might not as well.

Support the network (me)
Want to take part in the largest social experiment (outside of money itself) of all time. (me)
Huh

Personally, I got into a group buy for a 400Gh machine with an October delivery. That probably will be profitable if it arrives in October.
My Jalapeno that was ordered at the beginning of June probably won't break even if it comes later than late September.
A wash?

Lots of chances...
IAS

well, USB miner is so effective, it's profitable even with difficulty around 2 billion (electricity costs at 0.15USD/kWh, 1 BTC at 100 USD), which is 44 times tomorrow's difficulty. You will certainly make your money back (also, they cost 0.32 BTC, not 0.5)
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 06:59:20 PM

If you buy an asicminer and the price per unit drops, you can buy additional units at a deep enough discounts to make your average purchase price match the new price.

Short term profits can be better than buying a business or stocks. Long term, hope for the difficulty to slow its climb.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
tampazeus

Activity: 924

Lick me like a lolipop

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:06:16 PM

Support the network (me)
Huh

A wash?

Lots of chances...
IAS

well, USB miner is so effective, it's profitable even with difficulty around 2 billion (electricity costs at 0.15USD/kWh, 1 BTC at 100 USD), which is 44 times tomorrow's difficulty. You will certainly make your money back (also, they cost 0.32 BTC, not 0.5)

I agree, if you can wait these will pay back
DigitalHermit

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

Thank you! Thank you! ...

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:09:31 PM

Because emotion and greed appear to overpower rational thought and impair basic math skills.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:33:17 PM

Because emotion and greed appear to overpower rational thought and impair basic math skills.

I was sort of leaning towards the combination of greed and excitement. (Can't discount the latter). And throw some hope in there.

But guys, regarding the Erupter's being profitable, how can you say that? (And then that would apply moreso to the blades as they are a better deal.)
After the difficulty goes high enough, they will be just like CPU's were a few months ago?
Let's see some numbers please.

Thx,
IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 09:27:32 PM

2 BEs@5watt give roughly the same amount of hashpower as an overclocked 7970 @ 250 watt. It's all about how much power you consume vs how much you can hash. For me it's just an intermediate reinvestment moving from GPU, while waiting for a Saturn (which migh not or might be late, whereas those BEs are already hasing). Oh, and my power cost is $0.065 / Kwh  Grin

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:22:21 AM

Support the network (me)
Huh

A wash?

Lots of chances...
IAS

It's possible, but even if they do this could take a very long time.  Not great from an investment perspective.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:42:02 PM

This site is interesting for calculating profit with an increasing difficulty. http://www.coinish.com/calc/#

I just ran it for an erupter and at todays difficulty, increasing at 1.3% per day, with a cost of $50 (average from ebay and GB's) we are looking at around 4 months. So, not actually that bad.
A blade will pay for itself in roughly 3 months.

I'm surprised at the results. Curious if anyone else has run numbers.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
networkgeek24

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 07:43:39 PM

This site is interesting for calculating profit with an increasing difficulty. http://www.coinish.com/calc/#

I just ran it for an erupter and at todays difficulty, increasing at 1.3% per day, with a cost of $50 (average from ebay and GB's) we are looking at around 4 months. So, not actually that bad.

IAS

I think you need to run these numbers again and read the "considering reduction" line items in the table.

Bitrated user: networkgeek24.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:24:08 PM

For me, it is the Hobby aspect...  and an addiction to seeing my hashrate constantly increase. Tongue
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:06:10 PM

IAS

I think you need to run these numbers again and read the "considering reduction" line items in the table.

Excuse my ignorance and I did look at the table, but I don't understand how to apply that value in the table. It does describe it when I hover above it.
Break even is at 156 days W/ (power cost at .3), 333Mh, investment 50. Difficulty at 50 mill, which I think is temporary - KNC Miner testing?
Thanks for mentioning it as I see the value for "considering reduction considering the reduction in mining results" is set to never. (It is set to days as you know. Setting recommendation?)

Trongersoll - Yes, there is a huge hobby factor, agreed. But the costs should be lower, we should be profiting, not just "hobbying" so to speak.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 10:38:47 PM

It's possible, but even if they do this could take a very long time.  Not great from an investment perspective.
Yeah, the 0% return for 1/2 a decade isn't very hot?
threedrules

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:56:23 AM

my blade is still at 1btc per 4 days so im happy Smiley
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 12:33:41 PM

2 BEs@5watt give roughly the same amount of hashpower as an overclocked 7970 @ 250 watt. It's all about how much power you consume vs how much you can hash. For me it's just an intermediate reinvestment moving from GPU,

This. 

I'm spending a few BTC replacing my GPUs with USB Erupters. 

4 USB sticks using 10W are doing 1.2GH/s - they're plugged in to a USB hub that sits on top of my workstation (an i3-3220T machine) - the PC AND the USB sticks are using less than 90W in total.  They're not deafeningly loud, and aren't adding a bucket load of heat to the house.  They're replacing 2x7950 and a 6970.  90W vs nearly 1kW. 

The BEs are cooled with a single 120mm fan (salvaged from a dead PSU) blowing past them, which is running off an old Netgear router PSU, all stuck to an old Moduvent from a Fractal Design case (plastic with foam backing).

I'll be selling the 7950 cards soon, and going by my previous GPU sales, I'm not going to lose any money on them as they were bought used off eBay.  The 6970 I just sold not only mined me about £300 worth of BTC in it's life, but it sold for £10 more than I paid for it.  The 7950 should break even, so again the BTC they produced have paid for the BEs, and anything the BEs make is pure profit from now on. 

Then there's the boxes of fans, the piles of big PC tower cases, the 1kW PSU....all that will be going on eBay, hopefully again making back what I paid.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 03:21:43 PM

2 BEs@5watt give roughly the same amount of hashpower as an overclocked 7970 @ 250 watt. It's all about how much power you consume vs how much you can hash. For me it's just an intermediate reinvestment moving from GPU,

This. 

I'm spending a few BTC replacing my GPUs with USB Erupters. 

4 USB sticks using 10W are doing 1.2GH/s - they're plugged in to a USB hub that sits on top of my workstation (an i3-3220T machine) - the PC AND the USB sticks are using less than 90W in total.  They're not deafeningly loud, and aren't adding a bucket load of heat to the house.  They're replacing 2x7950 and a 6970.  90W vs nearly 1kW. 

The BEs are cooled with a single 120mm fan (salvaged from a dead PSU) blowing past them, which is running off an old Netgear router PSU, all stuck to an old Moduvent from a Fractal Design case (plastic with foam backing).

I'll be selling the 7950 cards soon, and going by my previous GPU sales, I'm not going to lose any money on them as they were bought used off eBay.  The 6970 I just sold not only mined me about £300 worth of BTC in it's life, but it sold for £10 more than I paid for it.  The 7950 should break even, so again the BTC they produced have paid for the BEs, and anything the BEs make is pure profit from now on. 

Then there's the boxes of fans, the piles of big PC tower cases, the 1kW PSU....all that will be going on eBay, hopefully again making back what I paid.

Nice story, but what about guys without that story and just buying erupters or blades, etc? I really think the miners need to be sold with some resemblance of a profit in mind. (The larger ones are but outside of GB's are prohibitively expensive for your average Joe.) With a high BTC price, yes they will be very profitable for a short while as then you can be sure more miners will suddenly be made.

I'm still wondering about what networksgeek24 said above. Anyone with an understanding?

Thanks for the replies,
Its about sharing

BTC = Black Swan.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:37:58 AM

User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 12:02:02 AM

also it's been proven regular people have difficulty with large numbers and exponential growth concepts.  They also value the setup labor and their time poorly.  They look at a USB and think oh wow 25% per month return holy moly get me a dozen.

pacojones

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 12:07:26 AM

For me, it is the Hobby aspect...  and an addiction to seeing my hashrate constantly increase. Tongue

I bought 2 ASICMINER sticks just to have them while I wait for my 'bigger' hardware orders - I like the blinking lights and the hashing graph...

Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 02:34:28 PM

Thanks to networkgeek24 for his reply to my PM, regarding this Mining Calculator http://www.coinish.com/calc/#. Here is a great description regarding the depreciation field I asked about above.

Quote from: networkgeek24
The considering reduction part means that if you consider the "Diff. increase per day" calculation into the mix you earnings will be reduced. So it may say break even is 200 days, but consider reduction (taking difficulty increases into account) you may never break even.

So basically the fields are:
  Break-even - calculates break even amount if the difficulty figure were to stay static
  ... considering reduction - calculates break even amount if difficulty figure increases
  Income/planned time - calculates your assumed income if the difficulty figure were to stay static
  ... considering reduction - calculates break even amount if difficulty figure increases

Basically you always want to take difficulty increases into account, and for most products ROI is never achievable.

So, when you look at what people are saying regarding difficulty increasing, getting into mining (outside of maybe large group buys delivered ON TIME), will rarely return the initial value.
Next level here (60 million) http://blockexplorer.com/q/estimate or here (67 million) http://dot-bit.org/tools/difficulty_bitcoin.txt

Some nice links on calculated difficulty predictions, and it seems like most predictions are between 200 & 500 million for December:

Google Spreadsheet (200-300 million difficulty). https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Auya3iRE6az1dG9fRkpXdFJtT1dNX0VCU1F0VFFUX3c#gid=8
Google Spreadsheet thread (400-500 million difficulty) - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=236050.0
BFL Forum https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bitcoin-discussion/3964-tracking-bitcoin-difficulty-changes.html

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: