Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:14:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin ASIC mining hardware price bubble?  (Read 4986 times)
kendog77 (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:25:55 PM

The next bitcoin difficulty is going to go from 37 million to over 51 million in the next day or so (~40% increase)!  Shocked

http://bitcoindifficulty.com

If the value of bitcoin doesn't rise soon, I think we're about to see a massive ASIC mining hardware price bubble pop.

The end of 2013 should be a wild ride for ASIC mining hardware prices, so hang on!

I certainly don't have the stomach to pre-order anymore hardware until the difficulty levels off a bit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
candoo

Activity: 602

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:26:35 PM

Do your homework. Difficulty goes from 37 to ~47..

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
kendog77 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:31:42 PM

OK, fine, the difficulty is only going up by 25%, but my point still stands.

A 100 bitcoin cannot sustain the millions of dollars of ASIC mining hardware that is about to hit the network for much longer.

If the value of BTC doesn't go up soon, a lot of folks are going to take big losses.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:34:50 PM

ASIC bubble? Who can even keep up with this ASIC crap and the super sketchy companies that are selling it or MAY be selling it in the near future.

I am expecting outright robbery and theft from gullible users over the next 3 months let alone a bubble.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:43:49 PM

ASIC bubble? Who can even keep up with this ASIC crap and the super sketchy companies that are selling it or MAY be selling it in the near future.

I am expecting outright robbery and theft from gullible users over the next 3 months let alone a bubble.

Investing times. Thing I find unsettling/amusing is this is a predominantly English speaking forum. As much as I'm always impressed that many contribute and that English is not the first language if many, this forum leaves a lot of stones unturned. There are Chinese, Spanish, German etc. forums abound and we have no idea how much has been purchased through those...

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
AForceNinja

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:44:51 PM

looks like OP was right, around 51mill
AnonBitcoinBuyer

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:46:56 PM

51.5 according to http://dot-bit.org/tools/nextDifficulty.php
50.8 according to http://allchains.info/
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:48:12 PM

May have something to do with;

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=271629.msg2919073#msg2919073

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:49:43 PM

i cannot tell if that thread is one big scam or legit.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:50:53 PM

i cannot tell if that thread is one big scam or legit.

He was given his chips out of that huge 2.1 million batch that arrived in June. He's connected with Gridcat/BTCman I believe, who outed Bitsyncom.

fiddelingones

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:52:59 PM

If the value of BTC doesn't go up soon, a lot of folks are going to take big losses.

It seems it is quick bubble and ASICs companies will have hard time selling next year unless they will be able to decrease prices/GH constantly as the difficulty rises!

utarinues

Activity: 114

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:56:59 PM

It seems it is quick bubble and ASICs companies will have hard time selling next year unless they will be able to decrease prices/GH constantly as the difficulty rises!

What is the lowest price per GHash considering mass production ? We will see next year I guess
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:02:04 PM

The going price for bitcoin ASIC hardware is about $20 per GH/s for the next few months, pay anymore and don't ever expect ROI, that rules out ASICminer, Avalon, and of course BFL, placing an order now with those three at $50 per GH/s or more and it's money wasted.

By the end of the year hardware should be getting around $15 per GH/s or it wont be profitable, next year it should be well bellow $10 per GH/s.

kendog77 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:54:50 PM

Do your homework, candoo. You have a lot of learn, young one.

The latest difficulty adjusted to 50.8 m.
erk

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:25:27 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2013, 09:14:29 PM by erk

Quite so, and what people fail to grasp is, at that growth rate, anyone who places an ASIC order for above $20 per GH/s will no longer get a positive ROI. That means all unshipped BFL orders are now worthless. Same with Avalon and it's derivatives. Those units will no longer cover their monthly power costs in many areas.

This also means that the price of BTC/USD has to rise or miners will have to switch off their gear.

Miners need to be lower than 3watts per GH/s to still be viable. BFL, Avalon, and ASICminer are not.

co5hike

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:39:44 PM

Miners need to be lower than 1watt per GH/s to still be viable. BFL, Avalon, and ASICminer are not.

We are not in this phase of game. I expect the power consuption will play difference from 2nd half of next year
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:43:15 PM

Bitcoin used to buy ASICS - RISKY (as most will never get ROI on their bitcoins)
USD to Asics - less risky (with btc price going up this can attain ROI with a higher chance -however, you could be able to buy more bitcoins with the cash you used to buy the asics)

risk risk risk

ok
gingernuts

Activity: 89

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:46:02 PM

Quite so, and what people fail to grasp is, at that growth rate, anyone who places an ASIC order for above $20 per GH/s will no longer get a positive ROI. That means all unshipped BFL orders are now worthless. Same with Avalon and it's derivatives. Those units will no longer cover their monthly power costs in many areas.

This also means that the price of BTC/USD has to rise or miners will have to switch off their gear.

Miners need to be lower than 1watt per GH/s to still be viable. BFL, Avalon, and ASICminer are not.

Would you care to share the maths behind that statement?

The back of my napkin tells me that @ 40MH/W FPGA's are good to ~200M difficulty, ASIC Miner chips @ ~133MH/W are good until 666M difficulty - all assuming a $0.22/kWh power cost.

IMHO the difficulty can't keep rising at the current rate because it is a hell of a lot easier and therefore cheaper to go from 30TH/s to 60TH/s than from 400TH/s to 800TH/s. The next doubling to 1.6PH/s will be even more costly, unless the people building the next generation of ASICs are basically giving them away, and as the process technology shrinks down to the bleeding edge 20nm processes, the cost per wafer will actually increase...
kolesozw
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

FRX: Ferocious Alpha

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:48:19 PM

Bitcoin used to buy ASICS - RISKY (as most will never get ROI on their bitcoins)
USD to Asics - less risky (with btc price going up this can attain ROI with a higher chance -however, you could be able to buy more bitcoins with the cash you used to buy the asics)

risk risk risk

Many got ROI very quickly after receiving preordered unit. The key is to have the device soon, but this preorder game is like gambling

erk

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:15:40 PM

We are not in this phase of game. I expect the power consuption will play difference from 2nd half of next year
I actually typo'd that, I meant 3watts per GH/s no longer being viable.  ie KNCminer is still viable on paper.
erk

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:17:53 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2013, 09:34:25 PM by erk

The back of my napkin tells me that @ 40MH/W FPGA's are good to ~200M difficulty, ASIC Miner chips @ ~133MH/W are good until 666M difficulty - all assuming a $0.22/kWh power cost.

IMHO the difficulty can't keep rising at the current rate because it is a hell of a lot easier and therefore cheaper to go from 30TH/s to 60TH/s than from 400TH/s to 800TH/s. The next doubling to 1.6PH/s will be even more costly, unless the people building the next generation of ASICs are basically giving them away, and as the process technology shrinks down to the bleeding edge 20nm processes, the cost per wafer will actually increase...
see http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/ As you can see from the red line on the graph, the latest difficulty hike was much larger than predicted!

risk risk risk

Many got ROI very quickly after receiving preordered unit. The key is to have the device soon, but this preorder game is like gambling
I was chatting to someone yesterday that just received his batch #3 Avalon, which cost about 100BTC all up, and was looking at 2-3mnths ROI, with today's diff hike, he will not achieve ROI unless BTC/USD price goes up.  I have a few BFL devices on back order from April/May, and they will probably not cover their power costs by the time they arrive.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:44:27 PM

see http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/ As you can see from the red line on the graph, the latest difficulty hike was much larger than predicted!

risk risk risk

I was chatting to someone yesterday that just received his batch #3 Avalon, which cost about 100BTC all up, and was looking at 2-3mnths ROI, with today's diff hike, he will not achieve ROI unless BTC/USD price goes up.  I have a few BFL devices on back order from April/May, and they will probably not cover their power costs by the time they arrive.

What's BTC/USD got to do with recovering an item valued in Bitcoins?

erk

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:54:13 PM

What's BTC/USD got to do with recovering an item valued in Bitcoins?
I didn't know you could pay your electricity bill in Bitcoins, please tell me more!
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 10:23:26 PM

Everything that comes as hardware in some months will have a hard time since after the diff update the difficulty went up 94% in the last 30 days. So only one month can change everything in a preorder. I wont order any asic's when its a preorder and not delivered fast anymore now.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
erk

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:43:24 PM

Everything that comes as hardware in some months will have a hard time since after the diff update the difficulty went up 94% in the last 30 days. So only one month can change everything in a preorder. I wont order any asic's when its a preorder and not delivered fast anymore now.

This is a sensible attitude, the pre-order game has been exposed as pretty much nonviable so far, we don't how KNCminer will go yet, if they deliver as promised on their pre-orders then all is good, if they stall customers like Avalon and BFL then their days are numbered too.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 11:04:06 PM

This is a sensible attitude, the pre-order game has been exposed as pretty much nonviable so far, we don't how KNCminer will go yet, if they deliver as promised on their pre-orders then all is good, if they stall customers like Avalon and BFL then their days are numbered too.

I only mean there were, for example, not a few people that went out of avalon chips to buy KNCMiner. They are priced half of the price per GH but in exchange you have to wait months. In the current development, where the diff doubles each month this will, i think, turn out as not the best decision. But of course i didnt think that the diff will skyrocket so fast too.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:14:55 PM

Fact is the reasonable side of me said don't 'throw money at this' (a term i saw mentioned time and again in April-June) as we didn't know where the BTC price would settle (I figured $100 as it's psychological), so I only decided to get my feet wet per say.

I knew as soon as Bitsyncom announced bulk sales hashrate would fly, but i never expected this turn of events. You'd probably be expecting me to be rooting for KnC, but never at the expense of the group buy guys, or for that matter anyone, including BFL customers (I just never expected BFL to ship, and they haven't).

This really sucks for the DIYers. Sad

Loredo

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:17:25 PM

Now, finally, intelligent individuals are drawing the line in the sand regarding the pre-order model. 

And so that means: precisely, nothing.  For every one on this forum who will not pre-order any longer, there are dozens who will.

They will, patiently or stridently, tell you why you're deluded.  That there is no other model than pre-order which will work.  They will go ahead an pre-order the equipment as it appears, when it appears, for the price which is asked.

The fascinating thing is:  they're not all shills.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 02:35:36 AM

Now, finally, intelligent individuals are drawing the line in the sand regarding the pre-order model. 

And so that means: precisely, nothing.  For every one on this forum who will not pre-order any longer, there are dozens who will.

They will, patiently or stridently, tell you why you're deluded.  That there is no other model than pre-order which will work.  They will go ahead an pre-order the equipment as it appears, when it appears, for the price which is asked.

The fascinating thing is:  they're not all shills.

I posted details as to the return on the ASIC hardware form BFL, KNC, Bitfury at present difficulty % increase and it shows buying BTC at $100 is better then getting these units at these prices.

That shows there will be no more pre-order options for new projects in the works.

Next day or no way.

Well come October anyway Smiley

Here is the post link.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=273264.msg2929060#msg2929060
gingernuts

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 10:43:49 AM

I still think a lot of people on this forum have a rather short-term view of ROI. If I leave my money in the bank, it loses me ~2.5% a year. If I can make my money back on a miner within 12 months, I'm better off than if I'd just left it in a bank...

If it's still earning more than the cost of the electricity after 12 months, then I'm up even more...
kmtan

Activity: 196

I love Bitcoin

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 12:39:46 PM

difficult up to MORE than predict/

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 07:44:14 PM

I still think a lot of people on this forum have a rather short-term view of ROI. If I leave my money in the bank, it loses me ~2.5% a year. If I can make my money back on a miner within 12 months, I'm better off than if I'd just left it in a bank...

If it's still earning more than the cost of the electricity after 12 months, then I'm up even more...

You dont speak of Bitcoins as money right? Then there is a difference. When you dont get the Bitcoins back you invested you lose. Nothing can change this.

gingernuts

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 10:59:17 PM

You dont speak of Bitcoins as money right? Then there is a difference. When you dont get the Bitcoins back you invested you lose. Nothing can change this.

No, I do consider Bitcoins to be real money - I just don't agree that the difficulty rise is going so fast that if you can't make your BTC back within a couple of months you never will. You can mine until your electricity costs more than the coins produced - so mining factor is probably more important than difficulty in determining when you have to mothball your miners.

That's not to say that you can't over-pay for miners - you certainly can, but people on here seem to talk like every currently available miner is one difficulty rise away from the scrap-heap...
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 05:59:21 PM

No, I do consider Bitcoins to be real money - I just don't agree that the difficulty rise is going so fast that if you can't make your BTC back within a couple of months you never will. You can mine until your electricity costs more than the coins produced - so mining factor is probably more important than difficulty in determining when you have to mothball your miners.

That's not to say that you can't over-pay for miners - you certainly can, but people on here seem to talk like every currently available miner is one difficulty rise away from the scrap-heap...

You realize that difficulty in the last 30 days went up 94%? Thats huge. Check out this: mining.thegenesisblock.com to see how linear and big the loss in profits is at the moment. If you cant make the investment back in the first 2 or 3 months its likely you will never because you will earn way less each month. Its even worse than that. Because the rise in difficulty is getting higher each time the diff is actualized. Thats because the big amount of preorders and asics flowing in the network. Its really tough and i never would buy some product at preorder now. Way too dangerous.

jungle_dave

Activity: 200

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:49:17 PM

It's a scary world now!

http://thegenesisblock.com/cointerra-500-ghs-chips-alydian-10-ths-hosting-and-icedrill-ipo-set-out-to-change-bitcoin-mining-landscape/

500 TH/s mining farm in Holland, thats + 150% and KnC, Bitfurry have not even shipped yet......
Its not impossible that the BTC-USD (RUB,EUR, Coconut or what ever else you use) rate will increase.
It did go from 30 to 100 USD this year alone.. Not saying it will but it could..
Lets see.

astutiumRob

Activity: 201

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 09:27:38 PM

because it is a hell of a lot easier and therefore cheaper to go from 30TH/s to 60TH/s than from 400TH/s to 800TH/s
You're misunderstanding the combination effects of greed, group-buys and ultimate delivery of pre-ordered kit Wink

www.astutium.com - domains | hosting | vps | servers | cloud - proud to accept bitcoins. UK colocation for BFL and KNC ASICs in Tier3+ DC
Register Domains with BTC
Want to make some bitcoins ? Miner on ebay | Buy GH/s
Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 09:29:11 PM

Looks like you should have done your homework as OP's guess was closer than yours.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:56:15 AM

Assuming a constant price of 100USD/BTC and $0.25/kW, we can tell when each miner will no longer be profitable (meaning when the cost of electricity is more than the miner earns).

Avalon: 66GH/s @ 620W = 0.9Billion
BFL Single: 60GH/s @ 240W = 2.1Billion
KNC Jupiter: 400GH/s @ 1000W = 3.3Billion
BitFury: 400GH/s @ 400W = 8.4Billion

Going from 3Million to 50Million means we have another 850Million to go, which means we're only 5.2% of the way to even having an Avalon become no longer profitable. We're not even 0.6% of the way to getting to where a BitFury is no longer profitable. I think that price bubble you're talking about is still a LONG way off.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
kendog77 (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 02:12:32 AM

Assuming a constant price of 100USD/BTC and $0.25/kW, we can tell when each miner will no longer be profitable (meaning when the cost of electricity is more than the miner earns).

Going from 3Million to 50Million means we have another 850Million to go, which means we're only 5.2% of the way to even having an Avalon become no longer profitable. We're not even 0.6% of the way to getting to where a BitFury is no longer profitable. I think that price bubble you're talking about is still a LONG way off.

I'm not talking about ASIC electricity usage. I'm talking about the effect that rising difficulty and the $100 bitcoin is having on ASIC hardware prices. Blades that sold for over 50 BTC back in May are now selling for 10 BTC. Block erupters are probably 2 to 3 difficulty increases away from no longer being a viable product because they will cost more to produce then they can sell for.

How much will KncMiner Jupiters sell for in November assuming Knc can deliver as promised and BTC stays at $100? I don't think folks would be willing to pay more than ~$1000 to $2000 (down from $8000) unless the value of BTC rises because the difficulty will be so high. 
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 04:13:23 AM

I'm not talking about ASIC electricity usage. I'm talking about the effect that rising difficulty and the $100 bitcoin is having on ASIC hardware prices. Blades that sold for over 50 BTC back in May are now selling for 10 BTC. Block erupters are probably 2 to 3 difficulty increases away from no longer being a viable product because they will cost more to produce then they can sell for.

How much will KncMiner Jupiters sell for in November assuming Knc can deliver as promised and BTC stays at $100? I don't think folks would be willing to pay more than ~$1000 to $2000 (down from $8000) unless the value of BTC rises because the difficulty will be so high. 

Ah, my mistake. I see now what you mean. I think anything priced in BTC is going to HAVE to drop in price as the difficulty goes up, regardless of price. People paid xBTC, and they want xBTC mined in return. Anything priced in USD only has to drop if the BTC price remains the same. If the BTC price goes up, they can keep the USD sale value the same. People paid zUSD, and they want zUSD mined in return.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
erk

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 04:37:31 AM

Ah, my mistake. I see now what you mean. I think anything priced in BTC is going to HAVE to drop in price as the difficulty goes up, regardless of price. People paid xBTC, and they want xBTC mined in return. Anything priced in USD only has to drop if the BTC price remains the same. If the BTC price goes up, they can keep the USD sale value the same. People paid zUSD, and they want zUSD mined in return.
BTC is undervalued for exactly that reason. I think BTC/USD should really be trading at $160 atm and back around $200 by the Xmas.

Next year you will need ASIC hardware that's $10 per GH/s or less, nothing that cheap on the horizon. It's the energy, Internet, housing, and interest expenses that need to be covered before you start getting any ROI on the hardware. If you could pay the expenses with BTC the story would be better.

I laugh at Block Erupters, even at .35BTC that's about $100 per GH/s making them the most expensive ASIC around. And people still buy the things in droves! Just shows you the lack of smarts in the BTC mining community.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 11:11:17 AM

BTC is undervalued for exactly that reason. I think BTC/USD should really be trading at $160 atm and back around $200 by the Xmas.

Next year you will need ASIC hardware that's $10 per GH/s or less, nothing that cheap on the horizon. It's the energy, Internet, housing, and interest expenses that need to be covered before you start getting any ROI on the hardware. If you could pay the expenses with BTC the story would be better.

I laugh at Block Erupters, even at .35BTC that's about $100 per GH/s making them the most expensive ASIC around. And people still buy the things in droves! Just shows you the lack of smarts in the BTC mining community.

Only if you dont know how to mine enough with it. It looks besides merged mining there are uncommon coins that can turn the field. At least i know a member that buys AM-Miner for that reason.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: