Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 03:19:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin ASIC mining hardware price bubble?  (Read 4986 times)
kendog77 (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:25:55 PM

The next bitcoin difficulty is going to go from 37 million to over 51 million in the next day or so (~40% increase)!  Shocked

http://bitcoindifficulty.com

If the value of bitcoin doesn't rise soon, I think we're about to see a massive ASIC mining hardware price bubble pop.

The end of 2013 should be a wild ride for ASIC mining hardware prices, so hang on!

I certainly don't have the stomach to pre-order anymore hardware until the difficulty levels off a bit.
candoo

Activity: 602

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:26:35 PM

Do your homework. Difficulty goes from 37 to ~47..

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
kendog77 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:31:42 PM

OK, fine, the difficulty is only going up by 25%, but my point still stands.

A 100 bitcoin cannot sustain the millions of dollars of ASIC mining hardware that is about to hit the network for much longer.

If the value of BTC doesn't go up soon, a lot of folks are going to take big losses.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:34:50 PM

ASIC bubble? Who can even keep up with this ASIC crap and the super sketchy companies that are selling it or MAY be selling it in the near future.

I am expecting outright robbery and theft from gullible users over the next 3 months let alone a bubble.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:43:49 PM

ASIC bubble? Who can even keep up with this ASIC crap and the super sketchy companies that are selling it or MAY be selling it in the near future.

I am expecting outright robbery and theft from gullible users over the next 3 months let alone a bubble.

Investing times. Thing I find unsettling/amusing is this is a predominantly English speaking forum. As much as I'm always impressed that many contribute and that English is not the first language if many, this forum leaves a lot of stones unturned. There are Chinese, Spanish, German etc. forums abound and we have no idea how much has been purchased through those...

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
AForceNinja

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:44:51 PM

looks like OP was right, around 51mill
AnonBitcoinBuyer

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:46:56 PM

51.5 according to http://dot-bit.org/tools/nextDifficulty.php
50.8 according to http://allchains.info/
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:48:12 PM

May have something to do with;

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=271629.msg2919073#msg2919073

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:49:43 PM

i cannot tell if that thread is one big scam or legit.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:50:53 PM

i cannot tell if that thread is one big scam or legit.

He was given his chips out of that huge 2.1 million batch that arrived in June. He's connected with Gridcat/BTCman I believe, who outed Bitsyncom.

fiddelingones

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:52:59 PM

If the value of BTC doesn't go up soon, a lot of folks are going to take big losses.

It seems it is quick bubble and ASICs companies will have hard time selling next year unless they will be able to decrease prices/GH constantly as the difficulty rises!

utarinues

Activity: 114

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:56:59 PM

It seems it is quick bubble and ASICs companies will have hard time selling next year unless they will be able to decrease prices/GH constantly as the difficulty rises!

What is the lowest price per GHash considering mass production ? We will see next year I guess
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:02:04 PM

The going price for bitcoin ASIC hardware is about $20 per GH/s for the next few months, pay anymore and don't ever expect ROI, that rules out ASICminer, Avalon, and of course BFL, placing an order now with those three at $50 per GH/s or more and it's money wasted.

By the end of the year hardware should be getting around $15 per GH/s or it wont be profitable, next year it should be well bellow $10 per GH/s.

kendog77 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:54:50 PM

Do your homework, candoo. You have a lot of learn, young one.

The latest difficulty adjusted to 50.8 m.
erk

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:25:27 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2013, 09:14:29 PM by erk

Quite so, and what people fail to grasp is, at that growth rate, anyone who places an ASIC order for above $20 per GH/s will no longer get a positive ROI. That means all unshipped BFL orders are now worthless. Same with Avalon and it's derivatives. Those units will no longer cover their monthly power costs in many areas.

This also means that the price of BTC/USD has to rise or miners will have to switch off their gear.

Miners need to be lower than 3watts per GH/s to still be viable. BFL, Avalon, and ASICminer are not.

co5hike

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:39:44 PM

Miners need to be lower than 1watt per GH/s to still be viable. BFL, Avalon, and ASICminer are not.

We are not in this phase of game. I expect the power consuption will play difference from 2nd half of next year
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:43:15 PM

Bitcoin used to buy ASICS - RISKY (as most will never get ROI on their bitcoins)
USD to Asics - less risky (with btc price going up this can attain ROI with a higher chance -however, you could be able to buy more bitcoins with the cash you used to buy the asics)

risk risk risk

ok
gingernuts

Activity: 89

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:46:02 PM

Quite so, and what people fail to grasp is, at that growth rate, anyone who places an ASIC order for above $20 per GH/s will no longer get a positive ROI. That means all unshipped BFL orders are now worthless. Same with Avalon and it's derivatives. Those units will no longer cover their monthly power costs in many areas.

This also means that the price of BTC/USD has to rise or miners will have to switch off their gear.

Miners need to be lower than 1watt per GH/s to still be viable. BFL, Avalon, and ASICminer are not.

Would you care to share the maths behind that statement?

The back of my napkin tells me that @ 40MH/W FPGA's are good to ~200M difficulty, ASIC Miner chips @ ~133MH/W are good until 666M difficulty - all assuming a $0.22/kWh power cost.

IMHO the difficulty can't keep rising at the current rate because it is a hell of a lot easier and therefore cheaper to go from 30TH/s to 60TH/s than from 400TH/s to 800TH/s. The next doubling to 1.6PH/s will be even more costly, unless the people building the next generation of ASICs are basically giving them away, and as the process technology shrinks down to the bleeding edge 20nm processes, the cost per wafer will actually increase...
kolesozw
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

FRX: Ferocious Alpha

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:48:19 PM

Bitcoin used to buy ASICS - RISKY (as most will never get ROI on their bitcoins)
USD to Asics - less risky (with btc price going up this can attain ROI with a higher chance -however, you could be able to buy more bitcoins with the cash you used to buy the asics)

risk risk risk

Many got ROI very quickly after receiving preordered unit. The key is to have the device soon, but this preorder game is like gambling

erk

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:15:40 PM

We are not in this phase of game. I expect the power consuption will play difference from 2nd half of next year
I actually typo'd that, I meant 3watts per GH/s no longer being viable.  ie KNCminer is still viable on paper.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: