Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:23:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Antminer S9 Becomes unresponsive after 30 minutes  (Read 268 times)
islandbayy (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 07:30:16 AM

Trying to figure this out and could use help. I'm a new miner. Did it previously with my computer and gpu just for fun and to learn. Finally got a couple S9's.

Set them both up today. They are both on 240v outlets. They are on shelving in my garage, which is currently 32*F right now. Temps of the unit are about 72, 68, and 71 when in operation.

It ran great for about 6 hours. Then nothing, slush notified me my worker was offline. Tried accessing it via browser and ip, nothing. The 3 hash board red lights were out. Unplugged and replugged, it all came back. Worked for about 30 minutes. Then lost network again, couldn't access. Left it "just in case it came back". It didn't. Unplugged and replugged, worked again, went about 5 minutes, did again, this last time about 20 minutes. Tried resetting to factory and setup again, no difference. What am I doing wrong? Frustrating!

No thermal shutdown, just after a while, it loses network connection and the red board lights go out. Power connections and data connections are all good.
The boards do not have any XXXXXXX.

Please Help!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rifleman74

Activity: 658
Merit: 21

4 s9's 2 821's

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 02:47:37 PM

Trying to figure this out and could use help. I'm a new miner. Did it previously with my computer and gpu just for fun and to learn. Finally got a couple S9's.

Set them both up today. They are both on 240v outlets. They are on shelving in my garage, which is currently 32*F right now. Temps of the unit are about 72, 68, and 71 when in operation.

It ran great for about 6 hours. Then nothing, slush notified me my worker was offline. Tried accessing it via browser and ip, nothing. The 3 hash board red lights were out. Unplugged and replugged, it all came back. Worked for about 30 minutes. Then lost network again, couldn't access. Left it "just in case it came back". It didn't. Unplugged and replugged, worked again, went about 5 minutes, did again, this last time about 20 minutes. Tried resetting to factory and setup again, no difference. What am I doing wrong? Frustrating!

No thermal shutdown, just after a while, it loses network connection and the red board lights go out. Power connections and data connections are all good.

Please Help!

Try it on 110, see how long it lasts.  Did you switch power supplies with the other s9?
wavelengthsf

Merit: 118

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 04:58:43 PM

What Power Supply are you using? Almost guarantee this is the issue.

If the PSU is good, do you have PDU that you're connecting these too? If so, what is its amp rating?

2 S9s running on a cheap 12-16A PDU will trip it and shut it down.
islandbayy (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 05:58:23 PM

Please Help!

Try it on 110, see how long it lasts.  Did you switch power supplies with the other s9?

I thought these performed poorly on 110/120, but I'll give it a try with the problem machine. I did switch PSU's with each other, no difference.
islandbayy (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 06:18:50 PM

What Power Supply are you using? Almost guarantee this is the issue.

If the PSU is good, do you have PDU that you're connecting these too? If so, what is its amp rating?

2 S9s running on a cheap 12-16A PDU will trip it and shut it down.
No PDU. Sub Panel in the garage, only being used to charge my car and power the miners right now (And the Switch & Laptop).

The miners are on a 240v 20 amp breaker. Voltage under load is 241v right now.

The PSU is the APW3++ from Bitmain.

So new development.
For sake of ease, the "problem unit" discussed above will be #1, and the second will be #2.

#1 will act as mentioned above .
#2, stays online and functions considerably better. Usually #1 will have the drop outs as described above, but now, sometimes, both #1 and #2 will disconnect and cut out at the same time. Red flashing fault light.

I have a laptop (Dell Mini 9 Ultra Low power netbook) on the bench with the miners as a monitoring/control computer (I've had it for years, and too slow to do much else). When the miners are offline, the netbook still has internet access. I have it plugged into the "mining switch" instead of on WiFi.
rifleman74

Merit: 21

4 s9's 2 821's

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 07:28:58 PM

Please Help!

I thought these performed poorly on 110/120, but I'll give it a try with the problem machine. I did switch PSU's with each other, no difference.

It may perform "poorly" but see if the problem follows.   
Aurel577

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 08:36:25 PM

When it goes down are you able to find your miners on your router or access the status page?

Which pool are use using and do you have back up pools entered?

Can you move one somewhere else in your house and give it a try? ( different power outlet and/or ethernet cable)

Do you have a volt meter to check the output volts under load coming out of the PSU? I have a couple cheap digital LED volt meter hooked up to both my PSU’s and they show 12.2 and 12.3 on each S9.

Are your S9 the older ones that you can adjust the frequency or the newer ones that are auto? ( I have one of each and prefer the older ones.)

Are you showing the right hash rate for your miner when it is runnng?

Unlock my old account please:
Aurel57
A.Delaney

Activity: 266
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 09:16:26 PM

It seems odd that both miners would have an issue. That makes me think its not the miners but something with incoming power or internet. Are both running off the same breaker?
islandbayy (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:44:21 AM

When it goes down are you able to find your miners on your router or access the status page?

Can you move one somewhere else in your house and give it a try? ( different power outlet and/or ethernet cable)

Do you have a voltmeter to check the output volts under load coming out of the PSU? I have a couple cheap digital LED voltmeter hooked up to both my PSU’s and they show 12.2 and 12.3 on each S9.

Are your S9 the older ones that you can adjust the frequency or the newer ones that are auto? ( I have one of each and prefer the older ones.)

Are you showing the right hash rate for your miner when it is running?

Update:
1: Using Slushpool. backup pools are the slush pools in other countries. USA as #1.
2: I have a 240v outlet in my laundry room. I installed it with a Chinese outlet, as my wife is Chinese, and we have some appliances, I can try one there, BUT (Will get to that below)
3: It's about 12.3 at full load
4: Newer batches, automatic frequency. I'd prefer the older style as well. I'd sacrifice a little mining power for considerably cooler running equipment, likewise with the fan speeds.
5: The hash rates are slightly higher than advertised 13.5TH.

So here's the deal, was going to try and move them, but FIRST, I was going to run a hard line to the garage (Ethernet, Cat5e). Since we had a break in the weather, we've been at -5 to -10 *F in Wisconsin here (Great for mining!!!), but yesterday was 55*F (And today we're back down 1*F), so I went for it, and ran a new ethernet cable. Had to go along the outside of the house. I was using both Powerline Network adapter to get it from my office to the garage, and a Wifi to Ethernet adapter. Each miner is on one of the devices. And they still are.

Thought I'd try the Ethernet first. By the time I ran the ethernet cable, the two miners were running with no cut outs. Thus, as long as they were working, I have NOT touched them at all (Other than looking at monitoring via the web interface). So ethernetis all set, switch is all set, but one is still on wifi and other is still on Powerline networking adapter.

So for at least right now, I'm going to let er go!    I have a different bigger switch on the way from Amazon, so do the move all at one time. Will update.

Aurel577

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 02:41:31 PM

Do you have a voltmeter to check the output volts under load coming out of the PSU? I have a couple cheap digital LED voltmeter hooked up to both my PSU’s and they show 12.2 and 12.3 on each S9.

Are you showing the right hash rate for your miner when it is running?

Update:
1: Using Slushpool. backup pools are the slush pools in other countries. USA as #1.
2: I have a 240v outlet in my laundry room. I installed it with a Chinese outlet, as my wife is Chinese, and we have some appliances, I can try one there, BUT (Will get to that below)
3: It's about 12.3 at full load
4: Newer batches, automatic frequency. I'd prefer the older style as well. I'd sacrifice a little mining power for considerably cooler running equipment, likewise with the fan speeds.
5: The hash rates are slightly higher than advertised 13.5TH.

So here's the deal, was going to try and move them, but FIRST, I was going to run a hard line to the garage (Ethernet, Cat5e). Since we had a break in the weather, we've been at -5 to -10 *F in Wisconsin here (Great for mining!!!), but yesterday was 55*F (And today we're back down 1*F), so I went for it, and ran a new ethernet cable. Had to go along the outside of the house. I was using both Powerline Network adapter to get it from my office to the garage, and a Wifi to Ethernet adapter. Each miner is on one of the devices. And they still are.

Thought I'd try the Ethernet first. By the time I ran the ethernet cable, the two miners were running with no cut outs. Thus, as long as they were working, I have NOT touched them at all (Other than looking at monitoring via the web interface). So ethernetis all set, switch is all set, but one is still on wifi and other is still on Powerline networking adapter.

So for at least right now, I'm going to let er go!    I have a different bigger switch on the way from Amazon, so do the move all at one time. Will update.

Cool I am glad they are working! I would not mess with them either.

Unlock my old account please:
Aurel57
islandbayy (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 07:50:48 PM

Ran great until last night, wifi dropped to Unit 1, so as long as that one had lost connection anyways, I swapped in the connection to the switch and hard ethernet run. Had to power cycle Unit 1. Unit 2, on the network over powerline adapter, was fine, and I switched the ethernet cable fast enough where it never stopped mining (Was about 2 seconds to swap cables), so now both are on the switch on the hard line.

Seems good so far, no dropouts or any notifications of sudden disconnections.
I have two more S9's on the way, and might have 1-2 more coming end of Feb. This is getting addicting. Now too bad the Bitcoin price didn't drop.

I'm also working on a silencer box out of a cooler. My split level home, downstairs is always cold upstairs is always hot. Having basically a 5000btu heater running 24/7 would make downstairs nice and compy :-)

I'll be hosting a S9 for my sister, figured I'd use hers to heat downstairs. Keep mine separate in the garage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: