Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:50:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating a Charity  (Read 818 times)
Wonga (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 12:27:54 AM

Hiya everybody!  I have a question for you.  I'm a longtime bitcoin fan/owner and forum lurker.  In that time, I have seen a lot of things that seem ... scammy to me.  What I wanted to pick your brains about is this:

If I wanted to create a wallet with the intent of turning the bitcoins over to a charity, how would I do this without seeming like a guy who is trying to abscond with your bitcoins for my own personal gain?

So far, the only idea I've come across is to try to get the organization ( http://www.ccfa.org/ ) to set up something on bitpay.  But I was hoping to have the donations flow through my wife's blog. (I guess this is my personal gain in this matter)  Unfortunately, the only way that would work is if I converted the bitcoins back to USD through coinbase or some other exchange.  Which is the part that would come off as a scam to me if I was a random forum lurker looking at this post from a crazy guy asking for your coins.

Any ideas or suggestions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 08:12:43 AM

Personally, I would contact gamingforgood.net / Athene, and try to make them accept bitcoin as a donation method. Those guys are smart, and I'm sure they'll see the benefit in btc quick. You could offer them your help.

If I had the time, I would go for it Smiley

Wonga (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 04:13:12 PM

Thanks Favdesu!  I was unaware of that site.

I'll try to contact Athene and see if they would be willing to set something up for btc.  Smiley
J603

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:44:32 PM

I don't know how easy it will be to find a real charity that accepts BTC. Most charitable organizations won't be able to spend the BTC, so they would have to transfer it to fiat, and that's a waste of time.
p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 01:46:09 AM

disclose all information and use third party authentication
Wonga (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 05:06:05 PM

disclose all information and use third party authentication

That's what I was thinking of doing at first.  Perhaps I'll run the charity annually and just not expect too much until I build community trust.  The next big drive is a few months out, so I have some time to work out the details.

I'm going to contact the SD CCFA and see if they will accept donations in BTC first.  I think that would be ideal.  That way the organization could convert the BTC to USD if they wish, or just use BTC to fund programs/research on their own.

I appreciate the suggestions  Smiley  I'm afraid I have more enthusiasm than knowledge, so your insight is very appreciated.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: