Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:04:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I be using MetaMask?  (Read 634 times)
Phriend (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 02:43:46 PM

I'm a newbie with some technical skills, but not a lot.
Should I be using MetaMask for added security?
What does MetaMask do for me, exactly?

Also, MetaMask seems to only work for Ethereum-based coins.  Is there an extension like MetaMask available for the other coins?
tokencoin

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 03:42:35 PM

I don't have too much experience with Ethereum or tokens but here's my view. I just moved from MEW to Metamask and it's so much nicer to use. I was using exodus for eth but it doesn't support enough ECR-20 tokens so I went in search of something that did. I don't want to pay the daft ledger nano price so Metamask is my choice atm and I like it.
Phriend (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 04:03:15 PM

I don't have too much experience with Ethereum or tokens but here's my view. I just moved from MEW to Metamask and it's so much nicer to use. I was using exodus for eth but it doesn't support enough ECR-20 tokens so I went in search of something that did. I don't want to pay the daft ledger nano price so Metamask is my choice atm and I like it.

Isn't MEW more secure though?  I mean, if you create an offline paper wallet using MEW...
aidenafterall

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 05:20:44 PM

MM is only for ETH + ERC20 tokens. Offline wallets are ALWAYS more secure than a wallet connected to the internet. Be sure to keep your key in a safe place, such as Lastpass. Nice thing about MM is it's ready to go for decentralized web apps and works across other browsers than Chrome such as Firefox, Opera and Brave. You can also run the same wallet in both MEW & MM. I'm not aware of a browser wallet for non-ERC20 so I'd recommend using a versatile wallet such as Jaxx, Exodus or others out there if that's your requirement, or use multiple wallet apps for different coins as no wallet handles all 1400+ cryptos and tokens.
squesto

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 05:40:45 PM

I use it and like how user-friendly it is - you can try it out, it's really easy to install (add on to browser)
waqarkahloon

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

Staker.network - POS Smart Contract ETH Token

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 06:54:07 PM

Meta mask is a good measure to safe ourself from phishing attack which is a big and common way of stealing your money. It automatically block bad links and save u from being robbed

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project  ☞ Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
shaun98

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 03:17:39 PM

MetaMask is a better way to access your ERC20 tokens as it has extra layers of security though I'm not entirely sure what they are. But either way, use MetaMask especially since it can be installed as a plugin and is easily accessible.

kevoh

Activity: 448
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 03:36:03 PM

Isn't MEW more secure though?  I mean, if you create an offline paper wallet using MEW...
While offline paper wallets are secure, you will still need to some level of online interaction when you need to carry out a transaction that is where metamask comes in.  Metamask provides you a platform to access your MEW wallet with the added provision of security from being phished of your private key.
natureltiqqy

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2018, 04:30:22 PM

I established it very simply as a google extension. As etherdelta exchange still can not be trusted, it feels safer to sign purchases via matemask.

Stasnislav11

Activity: 294

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 05:33:52 PM

it's amazing that I did not attach importance to this wallet, but now I decided to reconsider my views and decided to pay more attention to this purse
kamandanu

Activity: 164

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 05:34:36 PM

Its almost required if you want to trade on ED. It allows you to set gas limits, while ED doesn't
masphie

Activity: 896
Merit: 102

-= OI =-

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 05:42:40 PM

Also, MetaMask seems to only work for Ethereum-based coins.  Is there an extension like MetaMask available for the other coins?

my opinion is...
whatever security system used, all back to us.
But, for me.... i think Json is enough to maintain security.
with a note, we use the computer / laptop personally. Not to everyone.

-= OI =-
dzkrb1966

Activity: 602
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 05:53:57 PM

As for the other coins, I do not know, but this application helps to avoid getting into phishing sites, which is very important if you do not want to lose your money.
panduryk

Activity: 516
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 05:59:06 PM

I also recently went to the MEW and saw warnings that (Keystone / JSON File) is not 100% safe, although before this was not.
I generally trust the JSON file that I have on the flash drive.
And to install some add-on in the browser, how can it be more secure?
I even read a few cases that wallets were hacked through MM
mummybtc

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 06:34:41 PM

Yes you should, one need to take every precautions possible alot of people are losing their funds to all these phishing site and meta mask help with that, I don't think there is any for now application for other coins that serve the purpose metamask is doing for ethereum wallet
ukboss

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2018, 06:50:15 PM

Yes you can use Meta Mask for your better security. Meta Mask is very easy to use and it is help you for your account security and if you want to buy and sell altcoin no need to use your privet key on Etherdelta so you can use Meta Mask.
redsandisk

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 07:00:28 PM

i use it but i don't keep any coins stored there.
Huskarls

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 11:44:01 PM

yes, you have to use metamask, do you remember a while ago DNS etherdelta hacked? many people who then followed the bounty campaign, wallet claimed dihack, right or wrong, when everything is like this, they all ask the bounty manager to change their wallet address and it is very slow the process of counting bounty. the bounty manager also suggested to use metamask.
949miner

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 11:45:38 PM

If you want more security, just avoid using MetaMask, you can easily lost all your funds if you get hacked or spoofed.
I'm a newbie with some technical skills, but not a lot.Should I be using MetaMask for added security?

If you really care about your security, just invest $70 in a ledger wallet, and use one of the addreses that it provides to you.

By this way, you can attach your MEW to your ledger, and there is no way that someone can still hack your coins or just stole them from you.

Take my advice, you will remember my words, do not use metamask.

`^cder.         
          '-`ryRQQ#@@#O}-      
       .)ydi`!]PQQ#@@@@@#d}!   
  `:'`rU9660ZL:')TZ@@@@@@####O)
  `lVx<,:xWg@@@#g)iQB##@@##@@@M
  `lVcyWRBsy@@Q8Z*iQQQQB##@@@@M
  `x|G#@@@m)T<:<v~iB##@@#QQB#@M
     `)I$#m,-' `>]ZB#@@@#QQQB#3
  .>LKlxxxx_`<YUaKOQQQB#BB####P
:V5MMMTx^=*` .~xeaOQQg$RB@@@##P
 .<}ab*' .QQK\_`;<YMRO66B@@@@B}
     .`  .Q#@#Q3v`rcvvY3B#Mx_  
         .OKx*rxv`x66OX]=`     
               .!`xRdyr,       
                  !<'

IoTeX

▬▬INTERNET OF TRUSTED THINGS▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬BECOME A MEMBER TODAY▬▬▬▬.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██  
  ▐██▌                      
   █▌

TWITTER
MEDIUM
REDDIT
TELEGRAM
FORUM
BITCOINTALK
TonixGaming_14

Activity: 329

AGATE

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 11:57:34 PM

If you are using MetaMask this use for the security your coin to sell in Trading like Etherdelta.

AGATE  ▄▄▄▄▄▄ Facebook Telegram Twitter Medium   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   AGATE
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █    PayPal of Cryptocurrencies     █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █
████  Blockchain Protocol + 12 Working Modules - Use Crypto as Cash  ████
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: