Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:39:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Query claiming bitcoincash  (Read 113 times)
grayble99 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 07:00:23 PM

Hi, I have tried to work out how to claim my bitcoin cash but I wonder if I am confused.
My bitcoin was in an Electrum wallet when the fork took place.
I have since transferred my bitcoin to coinbase.
At a later date I transferred the bitcoin to Binance.
I have washed a tutorial on claiming the bitcoin cash from Electrum, but it looks like I need to have the bitcoin still in my Electrum wallet. Does this mean that I have lost my bitcoin cash?
I feel like an idiot for not being able to work this out for myself - any insight would be gratefully received.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16609

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 07:16:35 PM

I have washed a tutorial on claiming the bitcoin cash from Electrum, but it looks like I need to have the bitcoin still in my Electrum wallet. Does this mean that I have lost my bitcoin cash?
Luckily for you, you're wrong Cheesy

After the fork, your Bitcoin has nothing to do with your Bitcoin Cash anymore. What is important, is that you've moved your Bitcoin out of Electrum before exposing your private keys to another wallet.

Depending on the amount of Bitcoins you had, and the number of addresses, you have several options. You can probably use your (12) seed phrase words and use them directly in Electron Cash. For safety, I prefer to run Electron Cash in a VM, or at least not on my normal PC. Once you've exposed your seed to another wallet, you should setup a new wallet with a new seed for your Bitcoin wallet (Electrum).
As an alternative, if you only had a few addresses with balance during the fork, you can export the private keys from Electrum, and import them one by one into Electron Cash. Or, my own personal favourite for low amounts: import the private keys into Coinomi on Android. You can then do the same to claim Bitcoin Gold and Bitcore.

grayble99 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 08:11:36 PM

Luckily for you, you're wrong Cheesy

After the fork, your Bitcoin has nothing to do with your Bitcoin Cash anymore. What is important, is that you've moved your Bitcoin out of Electrum before exposing your private keys to another wallet.

Depending on the amount of Bitcoins you had, and the number of addresses, you have several options. You can probably use your (12) seed phrase words and use them directly in Electron Cash. For safety, I prefer to run Electron Cash in a VM, or at least not on my normal PC. Once you've exposed your seed to another wallet, you should setup a new wallet with a new seed for your Bitcoin wallet (Electrum).
As an alternative, if you only had a few addresses with balance during the fork, you can export the private keys from Electrum, and import them one by one into Electron Cash. Or, my own personal favourite for low amounts: import the private keys into Coinomi on Android. You can then do the same to claim Bitcoin Gold and Bitcore.

Brilliant, thank you so much for your guidance. This technically challenged explorer will now look into the delights of creating a VM....
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16609

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 08:22:24 PM

This technically challenged explorer will now look into the delights of creating a VM....
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: