Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:30:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Secured payments, consumer protection and buyer recourse...  (Read 12400 times)
Bitcoinorama (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 01:46:32 AM

Right, so it's not because it's BTC vs CC, but obviously it is easier for you to use the current legislation (CC) vs trying to set a precedent (BTC / + you need to win!).

With CC vs anything else, be it Bitcoin, debit card, whatever, your protection is much greater with the credit card.
This is because a credit card purchase is a three party contract, where your CC provider agrees to stand in place for the merchant in case of refund or other issues, and reimburse you directly.
Whether your CC company manage to then recover anything from the merchant is their problem, and doesn't affect you at all. If they don't, it is their loss, not yours.
With any other payment method, it is a two party contract between you and the merchant, and if they just run off with your money, or become insolvent, you are left with effectively no redress, you are just another unsecured creditor, unlikely to see any of your money back.
For any large single purchase, credit card is the most secure method, as it the only one which introduces a trusted, solvent, third party to effectively act as guarantor for the merchant.
(This is why some businesses find it so difficult to find a CC processor, because the CC company view them as too high risk.)
(All of this relating to the UK, I don't know the position elsewhere)

Thank-you.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: