Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:57:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If I received tokens in an ICO, can they be taken away?  (Read 123 times)
davemanet (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 09:28:00 PM

Hi All,

I am from the U.S. and I contributed to an ICO and received the tokens to myetherwallet.  The ICO did not ask for my location at the time.

Today I received this email below.  They say to fill out the Know Your Customer form so that the funds can clear their bank.  Is this accurate?  I thought I already received the tokens and we're all set.  If I don't fill the form, can they take my tokens away?

If you’ve already contributed to our ICO, tell us more about yourself in carVertical’s KYC (know your customer) verification. Just visit this page and fill in the KYC form.

It will last long just a minute, but will help us clear your contribution with the bank. We’re asking this for your own safety, because KYC process helps us to prevent identity theft, terrorism financing, money laundering and financial fraud.
949miner

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 09:30:58 PM

It is your fault, probably you haven't read the whitepaper properly and you didn't saw that they were not accepting US investors. Most ICO's who are doing that kind of purposes are always saying that they are using KYC.
If you’ve already contributed to our ICO, tell us more about yourself in carVertical’s KYC (know your customer) verification. Just visit this page and fill in the KYC form.

Otherwise, you are fucked, i do not understand why are you so dumb mate, but if you are in the US, aren't you even able to realize that they are not going to accept US investors?

This is the most simple thing that you need to know before investing in an ICO.

`^cder.         
          '-`ryRQQ#@@#O}-      
       .)ydi`!]PQQ#@@@@@#d}!   
  `:'`rU9660ZL:')TZ@@@@@@####O)
  `lVx<,:xWg@@@#g)iQB##@@##@@@M
  `lVcyWRBsy@@Q8Z*iQQQQB##@@@@M
  `x|G#@@@m)T<:<v~iB##@@#QQB#@M
     `)I$#m,-' `>]ZB#@@@#QQQB#3
  .>LKlxxxx_`<YUaKOQQQB#BB####P
:V5MMMTx^=*` .~xeaOQQg$RB@@@##P
 .<}ab*' .QQK\_`;<YMRO66B@@@@B}
     .`  .Q#@#Q3v`rcvvY3B#Mx_  
         .OKx*rxv`x66OX]=`     
               .!`xRdyr,       
                  !<'

IoTeX

▬▬INTERNET OF TRUSTED THINGS▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬BECOME A MEMBER TODAY▬▬▬▬.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██  
  ▐██▌                      
   █▌

TWITTER
MEDIUM
REDDIT
TELEGRAM
FORUM
BITCOINTALK
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 09:35:41 PM

If the tokens are in your wallet, then there is nothing that they can do to retract them. That goes for Internal Transactions too.

Delete email and move forward
Ging

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 09:39:32 PM

i personally dont know mate but who would they take your tokens because i think they use smart contracts no traction and if they were able to do that
i think you better sell your alt as soon as possible.
Fahim

Activity: 280
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 09:40:56 PM

The project in which you participated, prohibited participants from the United States?
Next time, be careful. If the country is not banned, then go through the confirmation. Now all the exchanges want confirmation of the identity, and many ICO also want scanned documents and photos.
davemanet (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 10:57:05 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I've read thru numerous sites, and from experience, if they don't ask for documentation early on, then it's ok to get in on the ICO.

This is the first time I've seen an ICO ask for documentation after they've already sent the tokens, which is a bit odd.  As long as they can't retake the tokens back, then I feel fine.  I just wanted to make sure they couldn't somehow retract the tokens..
richan

Activity: 392
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 01:54:12 AM

If you are lucky to receive the tokens though you are US resident and wasn't allowed to participate the ICO, then you can keep the tokens in your wallet without accessing them. Whenever you get out of the soil of US you can cash it out. Or if you can pass the KYC verification and the same time not be burden then you can do so and claim the right to your tokens.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: