Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:34:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: plz help... bitcoins in bitcoin core limbo  (Read 111 times)
whatwhenno (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 11:14:24 PM

Hey guys,

so last year I downloaded bitcoin core never used it, today I transferred some bitcoin over to my wallet, not realising my wallet needs to sync with the full block chain first, so I need around 150 gb for the full node except I’m on a 128gb mackbook with only 40gb storage available, can I retrieve these coins somehow that have not even shown up in my wallet?

I thought about external hard drive (redirect), I read it can take a week to download the full chain even on a good internet connection, my internet is crappy, can I retrieve my key code somehow from bitcoin core wallet even though it hasn’t synced and put my coins in another wallet like electum wallet?

Thoughts please  Shocked
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 11:35:34 PM

you mentioned using bitcoin core, so you should be able to export your address private keys
1. decide which other wallet you want to use (make sure you have full control the keys in this wallet)
    yes, you should check out electrum 3.0.5 or any SPV wallet (doesn't require downloading the whole 150GB)
2. export your private key of that bitcoin core receiving address
    on bitcoin core menu click debug > console , type "dumpprivkey <bitcoinaddress>"
    the private key should start with a 5, K or L
3. on your new wallet, import the address by using that private key
4. restart your new wallet, if needed, your coin should be there

note:
- NEVER delete your wallet.dat, make copies, save it someplace safe
- NEVER tell anyone your private keys

whatwhenno (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 04:26:26 AM

Thanks so much, ill try that