Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:50:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC less efficient than Visa  (Read 3736 times)
huadylmate

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:12:48 PM

Visa's underlying currency (fiat) uses *zero* energy (paper notes).
False, quite some energy and other ressources are required for minting/printing and distribution.

Childish pedantry.  How much energy do you think is used to print a hundred dollar bill?  You think the FED is doing J/$ calculations before they fire up their printing presses?

Why care when you can make as big debt as you like - it would be childish not spending as much as you can get away with

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:13:35 PM

False, quite some energy and other ressources are required for minting/printing and distribution.

Childish pedantry.  How much energy do you think is used to print a hundred dollar bill?  You think the FED is doing J/$ calculations before they fire up their printing presses?
Hint:  BTC miners *do* Cheesy

[Probably they would be better off doing some calculations, in several countries the smallest coins are more expensive to produce than their face value.]

Do you really think printing them is all you need?
E.g. You need to distribute them, offer the possibility to replace old banknotes after their life span and you need very high security in every single step.
It doesn't end there, just think about all the cash transports from companies to banks. Okey, that's fuel and working time instead of electricity, but those are valuable ressources, too.

See above, tell me i'm wrong Grin
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:14:09 PM

See above, tell me i'm wrong Grin

Alright. You are wrong.
There did it.

An extremely profitable business.  Bitcoin miners will continue mining until it costs .99 BTC to mine one, until they waste as much energy as the value of the bitcoin they mine.  Hilarious, no?
That's a deliberate plan, it's supposed that miners just gain enough to keep on mining.
crumbs

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:15:52 PM

Childish pedantry.  How much energy do you think is used to print a hundred dollar bill?  You think the FED is doing J/$ calculations before they fire up their printing presses?

Why care when you can make as big debt as you like - it would be childish not spending as much as you can get away with

If printing money was proportionately as costly as mining BTC, the presses would not stop 'til it costs more than a dollar to print a dollar.
crumbs

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:16:46 PM

Angry Cheesy Cheesy
crumbs

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:18:01 PM

How much energy do you think is used to print a hundred dollar bill?

Quite a lot. Start from placing a cotton seed in fertile soil.

Err... More than $100 worth?
ferda2mx

Activity: 123

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:18:51 PM

What is the power consuption of all ATM ?

An irrelevant number -- there are no bitcoin atms.  Fiat worked just fine without them, they're just a convenience. Think ATMs are a waste of energy?  Don't use them, live like it's 1970.

You cant be serious - there wouldnt be Visa without ATM and POS.

And Visa is not money
ferda2mx

Activity: 123

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:23:20 PM

Not. Only the coins cost more to make than the value they represent - pretty effective, right?
Birdy

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:23:56 PM

If printing money was proportionately as costly as mining BTC, the presses would not stop 'til it costs more than a dollar to print a dollar.
Welcome to the problem of inflation.
It's not like you create value by printing a bill, so you will dillute other peoples value.

Miners also process transactions while "printing" the Bitcoin. Sure the new Bitcoin will also dilute the value of the others, but this is capped.
imamanandyou

Activity: 147

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:31:07 PM

Because mining BTC is proportionately harder as time goes on, it only tell us Bitcoin is more and more successfull.

crumbs

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:33:12 PM

What is the power consuption of all ATM ?

An irrelevant number -- there are no bitcoin atms.  Fiat worked just fine without them, they're just a convenience. Think ATMs are a waste of energy?  Don't use them, live like it's 1970.

You cant be serious - there wouldnt be Visa without ATM and POS.

And Visa is not money

I have a Visa CC.  Never stuck it in an ATM other than by accident.  I also use it to shop online, so when i buy a miner from an ASIC company that vanishes with my money?  Chargeback!  Try that with bitcoin Cheesy
And no, Visa ain't money, but we're talking about trading in $$$ with Visa.  See topic of thread^^.
crumbs

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:35:53 PM

Because mining BTC is proportionately harder as time goes on, it only tell us Bitcoin is more and more successfull.

No, rising difficulty only tells you the hashrate has risen, nothing about success.  Just that people spent all their bitcoins on racy new ASIC miners, so they could mine more bitcoins to buy the next racy miner.  Enjoy the hamster treadmill Cheesy
crumbs

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:38:18 PM

I don't know, email me one and I'll have the lab check it out.

First, you have to promise me an ASIC Angry  And make it quick, 'cos that scam's just about burnt down.
gadman2
Legendary

Activity: 977
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:38:32 PM

Bitcoin is to USD as the confirmations is to Visa. Change every word of "bitcoin" in op to "confirmations"  and it will all make sense then.

vendetahome

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:39:15 PM

crumbs - your my hero!
crumbs

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:41:57 PM

It's not like you create value by printing a bill, so you will dillute other peoples value.

It's not like you create value by mining a bitcoin, either.  At least the monyz smells nice.  And what's wrong with inflation?  Who told you it was a *bad* thing?
millsdmb

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:43:13 PM

Last week somebody was saying they thought bitcoin is the "most efficient" way to pay, so I crunched some numbers to find out. Summary: it is not.

Currently 262 Terahash/s=262E12 hash/s
Most efficient bitfury hardware gets 705E6 hash/J, or 1.42E-9 J/hash ==>Note I'm being as conservative as possible here, in BTC's favor

So total network power consumption is at least (1.42E-9 J/hash)*(262E12 hash/s)=372040 J/s = 372 kW. Like I said, this is the most efficient scenario, with little room to improve with new mining hardware in the future. A year ago it was far, far worse.

36944 bitcoins change hands/hour, on average.
(3600 seconds * 372040 J/s)/($100/btc*36944 btc/hour)=362 J/$ processed.

Now let's compare to Visa. Visa processes avg $6.7T/year= 6.7E12 $/y = 212456 $/second. If Visa consumed as much power as bitcoin, that would be (362 J/$)*(212456 $/s)= 76.9 MW of power.

Visa has 2 datacenters in N America, consuming about 25MW each. And that includes stuff like AC, that I didn't even consider for bitcoin. So Visa actually uses far less energy/$ than bitcoin. And bitcoin is getting less efficient every day as the hash rate grows.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-03-25/visa-data-center/53774904/1

Discuss.

Last night I was daydreaming and wondered, how do the amount of TX compare? If BTC were to exceed all the major credit card co's in TX-- that'd be an accomplishment.

Unless it's already been accomplished.

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
Birdy

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:49:01 PM

It's not like you create value by mining a bitcoin, either.  At least the monyz smells nice.  And what's wrong with inflation?  Who told you it was a *bad* thing?

You do create some value as you process transaction (the same value we were debating the whole thread about, yes that what Visa does....).

Inflation is not bad for everyone, people with debt (like our states) love inflation. But it certainly is bad for me as my money buys me less stuff.
It's merely a redistribution of wealth, inflation doesn't destroy any value (the effetcs of high inflation can do that though).
crumbs

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:53:54 PM

You do create some value as you process transaction (the same value we were debating the whole thread about, yes that what Visa does....).

Inflation is not bad for everyone, people with debt (like our states) love inflation. But it certainly is bad for me as my money buys me less stuff.
It's merely a redistribution of wealth, inflation doesn't destroy any value (the effetcs of high inflation can do that though).

It makes you spend your monyz instead of scroogeing  it under a mattress, thus fueling our awesome economy.  Mony's meant to be spent!  And if miners create value by processing transactions, so does Visa Cheesy
Edit:  Which you have already mentioned, i can't read Embarrassed
Birdy

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:01:44 PM

It makes you spend your monyz instead of scroogeing  it under a mattress, thus fueling our awesome economy.  Mony's meant to be spent!  And if miners create value by processing transactions, so does Visa Cheesy
I disagree, I think this consuming pressure isn't good for our society. It is way better we buy stuff, because we want it and not because we fear our money will buy us less otherwise.

Yes, Visa does create a form of value just like the miners. The value of a service, in this case the processing of transactions.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: