Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:32:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: All kinds of stuff for sale with BTC. we need to be careful  (Read 2511 times)
mises

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 09:29:51 PM

I'm pretty sure any attempts to sell alcohol or drugs over the internet through bitcoins would be shut down pretty quickly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 09:49:57 PM

You can buy meth and heroin off of SR. Who cares if some 11 year old gets drunk. He can go through his parents' liquor cabinet for that anyways.

And at this current time, drugs and gambling make up the bulk of the bitcoin economy, so blocking vices does more harm than good...

Whilst I agree with the first part, but I think you underestimate the number of people using bitcoin in legally accepted ways.

From when it started until the beginning of this month, Satoshi-Dice had been responsible for 54% of all Bitcoin transactions.
So I think it is a pretty safe statement that drugs and gambling make up the bulk of bitcoin transactions.
For the more general statement, it depends how you define economy.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 10:00:09 PM

OP: I'm not sure what, if anything, you're proposing. There's a long history of people coming up with policing measures like address blacklists etc., which I think you may find some readers here will assume you're talking about as well. It's not a popular idea, and anything even whiffing of reduced freedom on a protocol level gets people really agitated.

Maybe you're just making the point it pays to be prudent. That's entirely true, and worth keeping in mind, but I think it's kind of assumed any serious business will have enough self-preservation instincts to keep their names from being linked to anything illegal. The ones that don't, won't be around long.

As for keeping Bitcoin's image clean, ultimately there's not much any one here can do to stop illegal activity, so a better course of action is to work on building benign businesses.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
J603

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 01:39:22 PM

I'm pretty sure any attempts to sell alcohol or drugs over the internet through bitcoins would be shut down pretty quickly.

Kuroth

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 02:08:50 PM

So no doubt each country has a laundry list of things that are a no no to have. I've noticed as of late lots of booze and contraband being sold around the "surface web".; ofcourse I figure some of these are straight up bait.  Where as others are straight up fuck the man style listings.

When the party favor market was strictly tor based.  One could argue it wasn't easy to buy. At the moment there are atleast a dozen listings alone on bitmit that are regularly controled by the US goverment.  I understand that to block, censor or control the sale of anything with BTC takes away from a goal of the project.  However I'd like to keep useing coins.

Ii feel if no community policeing is done someone else will attempt to do it for us.  They won't be so nice about it and the penalty will apply to everyone.  I propose we restrict ourselves from allowing contraband, booze or tobacco products in areas of the world they maybe controled in.

Long story short;

Don't make it easy for some 11 year old kid to fuck everything up buying party favors to get laid off bitmit

Very True..

faiza1990

Activity: 420

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:36:09 AM

of course its must

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: