Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:19:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Parity Party!!!  (Read 9346 times)
Veltas

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 02:54:51 AM

Problem 2 is easier to solve and once it does it will guarantee that the value of bitcoin will continue to rise, after all there will always be an increasing number of goods and services in a growing economy.

I must admit I'm still worried about this problem.  We don't want to turn BTC into a bubble, waiting to burst.  BTC would see wild fluctuation in value for the ebb and flow of investors; this can make or break a project like this.

BTC needs to rely on a community worried about security and freedom, not value.  This would, ironically, increase its value in the long-term and make it more stable, but money-hungry investors buying into BTC even right now are going to sell out as soon as the going gets tough and the value looks like it's reached a turning point.

We're a growing economy but we're still susceptible.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2011, 03:18:11 AM

I've already proposed a solution but there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for it.

I'm prepared to be enthusiastic, if you'd fill me in at least...

This post I made before.

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3176.msg45221#msg45221

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 03:41:11 AM

Bitcoin going mainstream means embracing government regulations.  Mt Gox has already started, by limiting withdrawals to $1000/person/day (or equivalent withdrawal in bitcoins).

Everyday consumers simply want an easy way to pay vendors.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2011, 03:50:44 AM

Bitcoin going mainstream means embracing government regulations.  Mt Gox has already started, by limiting withdrawals to $1000/person/day (or equivalent withdrawal in bitcoins).

I disagree with the need to embrace government regulations. But I think there will be two sides to the bitcoin economy. Some will want to follow government regulations and registrations etc. and they can do that. But there is also the side of the economy that will operate outside of government controls, and because of the nature of bitcoin, these two sides, legit and otherwise will be able to operate seamlessly with each other.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Veltas

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 04:37:48 AM

I think it's a very bad idea to go mainstream, simply because it will make it very easy for the government to control what we do and start refining our freedom by taxing transactions etc..  It's right to say that going mainstream will mean embracing government regulations.

I disagree with the need to embrace government regulations. But I think there will be two sides to the bitcoin economy. Some will want to follow government regulations and registrations etc. and they can do that. But there is also the side of the economy that will operate outside of government controls, and because of the nature of bitcoin, these two sides, legit and otherwise will be able to operate seamlessly with each other.

I would've thought 'going mainstream' implied a degree of registration with authorities, so I thought government regulations would be unavoidable if we went mainstream (which is why I'm against trying to go mainstream).

Talking of two sides to the bitcoin economy working seamlessly with each other though, I'm not so sure.  It sounds to me like the side that follows the rules would end up getting penalised for transactions with the side that didn't.
Veltas

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 10:39:33 AM

Isn't the mainstream irrelevant as soon as I can convert bitcoins directly into goods reliably? Converting it into something else first, then yea, you have to take the pulse of the mainstream constantly.

I wish, but if the government attempts to regulate it (which is inevitable after being mainstream for long enough) then attempting to convert bitcoin into goods and such would be taxable.  If the government thinks Bitcoin is a mainstream commodity they can tax on it, because in any trade you stand to gain and anything you gain that the government recognises is taxable.  Although it would be easy to evaid the taxation in most cases, currently there is nothing wrong with giving and recieving whatever you want on Bitcoin and I for one would like to continue that luxury without breaking the law or having to pay taxes over transactions.

Please not mainstream.
lumos

Activity: 157
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 01:32:59 PM

SSATURDAAAY NITE GUNNA GET WAYSTED!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 02:37:09 PM

These are all meaningless (especially USD parity).  

These milestones are meaningful from a psychological point of view, and by extention, from a PR point of view.

There are also meaningful for this forum. For several months there has been talk and anticipation about when parity would be reached. Now we can go back and see who made the best predictions. (It turns out that S3052 was spot on)

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Veltas

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 03:15:46 PM

These are all meaningless (especially USD parity).  

These milestones are meaningful from a psychological point of view, and by extention, from a PR point of view.

There are also meaningful for this forum. For several months there has been talk and anticipation about when parity would be reached. Now we can go back and see who made the best predictions. (It turns out that S3052 was spot on)

Sorry, what I mean is that this isn't a turning point for the currency, just something nice for us.

I know, I know most people get this but sometimes people start thinking that it has a monetary significance other than the parity itself, which it really doesn't.
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 03:54:46 PM

wrote a little parity blurb here http://economicmadness.net/2011/02/09/bitcoin-over-the-parity-hill/ feel free to retweet it or digg it or whatever, the more we spred the word about bitcoins the more valuable they become Smiley
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 12:26:06 PM

Wow, Hal Finney getting all hot and bothered about the price of bitcoins tripling and hitting a full dollar.... 

Rest in peace, sweet prince. 

What parity comes next? 

When the total value of bitcoins exceeds gold?  M1?  Global Product? 

Just imagine going back to here and laughing at these guys.... "you guys realize that the price will boom and bust through a few cycles and hit over $1200 a coin, right?  Dollar parity is nothing..." 

That would have been ridiculous. 

And yet, here we are once again... nothing has changed, and in fact, things have gotten better.  And we are worried about bitcoin hitting $300 again?  That's *nothing* compared with what's coming in a few years.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 12:31:01 PM

All of the above in rapid succession, probably at some point in the not too distant future.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 12:56:29 PM

All of the above in rapid succession, probably at some point in the not too distant future.

My bet is that bitcoin's eventual price graph looks something like the above, with '-1' representing 2009, and '1' representing a floating value that represents the underlying value that humanity places on itself. 

The exponential portion of the graph doesn't end suddenly; it just tapers off and 'returns' on savings diminish.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 02:37:27 PM

What an incredible thread digging job Grin

Makes us dream a bit and question which parity will we have next. Back in 2011 these guys were in it for a ride and they barely knew... I hope they're still Bitcoin wealthy, though Smiley
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 03:07:56 PM

When one Bitcoin reaches $1 we need to celebrate...

Bitcoin network can not live if 1btc=$1
Because there will be too many asics switched off and ready for doublespending attacks
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 03:13:17 PM

Because there will be too many asics switched off and ready for doublespending attacks

The post you quoted is very old, but... harder to go down I guess, there's many around who wouldn't let that happen Wink
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 07:11:19 PM

Nope, mining would simply go back in time a few years.
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 07:24:43 PM

Nope, mining would simply go back in time a few years.
Yes. And all existing ASICs would transform to a ferrum and silicium also  Grin
(Just imagine yourself in mid 2009 with an ASIC - what would you do? Mine from last block or mine from block height=1?)
escalicha

Activity: 658
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 09:14:02 PM

Getting place, legendary thread  Grin

goldkey0070

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 11:05:48 PM

love this thread if they only knew back then what was going to happen