Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:39:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could You Use "Sandboxie" To Run Your Client?  (Read 1858 times)
seafarer124 (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 02:57:59 PM

Would "Sandboxie" be  an option to be secure and safe?

http://www.sandboxie.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:47:48 PM

Nah, Sandboxie's more geared towards keeping stuff from getting out from the box then to keeping stuff from getting in. 
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 01:14:18 AM

Wrong again. Sandboxie is humble attempt to prevent stuff from making permanent changes to PC instead of preventing it from accessing data on host filesystem or phoning the data from host computer to remote server. I experimented a lot with sandboxie and found the whole idea totally useless. For isolation of dangerous processes full virtualization like VMware Workstation is required. And virtualization will not protect secrets in event when host operating system is compromised by malware.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:11:45 AM

For isolation of dangerous processes full virtualization like VMware Workstation is required. And virtualization will not protect secrets in event when host operating system is compromised by malware.

and keep all your vmware or virtualbox images inside truecrypt containers
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 11:33:07 PM

and keep all your vmware or virtualbox images inside truecrypt containers

Why? If my host OS is compromised everything is goatsed. I use full disk encryption in case of hardware theft. Additional layers of encryption inside this full disk one are pointless, it degrades convenience and performance with no real additional security.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
payb.tc

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 11:49:18 PM

Additional layers of encryption inside this full disk one are pointless, it degrades convenience and performance with no real additional security.

well duh, but like you know, i never said anything about 'additional', because i don't do WDE.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:18:46 PM

Wrong again. Sandboxie is humble attempt to prevent stuff from making permanent changes to PC instead of preventing it from accessing data on host filesystem or phoning the data from host computer to remote server. I experimented a lot with sandboxie and found the whole idea totally useless. For isolation of dangerous processes full virtualization like VMware Workstation is required. And virtualization will not protect secrets in event when host operating system is compromised by malware.

Do malicious processes escape the sandbox or make permanent changes to the system? No. That's what Sandboxie is for.

If you don't want malware recording keystrokes or calling home, don't leave it open in Sandboxie.

Of course, there are better ways, but I think Sandboxie is still useful in some cases.
payb.tc

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:24:27 PM

Do malicious processes escape the sandbox or make permanent changes to the system? No. That's what Sandboxie is for.

If you don't want malware recording keystrokes or calling home, don't leave it open in Sandboxie.

Of course, there are better ways, but I think Sandboxie is still useful in some cases.

i think what mysteryminer meant is that on a malware-compromised host, the actual sandboxie exe might be compromised, and do all sorts of nasty things that 'regular' sandboxie wouldn't do, including let certain malicious processes escape and make permanent changes to the host.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: