Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:32:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-08-14 Forbes: Dread Pirate Roberts, the Man Behind the Silk Road  (Read 2880 times)
BitGo (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

https://bitgo.com

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 07:44:22 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2013, 07:55:21 PM by BitGo

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/08/14/meet-the-dread-pirate-roberts-the-man-behind-booming-black-market-drug-website-silk-road/

"“Meeting in person is out of the question,” he says. “I don’t meet in person even with my closest advisors.”"

"All my communications with Roberts are routed exclusively through the messaging system and forums of the website he owns and manages, the Silk Road."

"Roberts also has a political agenda: He sees himself not just as an enabler of street-corner pushers but also as a radical libertarian revolutionary carving out an anarchic digital space beyond the reach of the taxation and regulatory powers of the state"

"THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS isn’t shy about naming Silk Road’s active ingredient: The cryptographic digital currency known as Bitcoin. “We’ve won the State’s War on Drugs because of Bitcoin,” he writes."

"“We’re talking about the potential for a monumental shift in the power structure of the world,” Roberts writes. “The people now can control the flow and distribution of information and the flow of money. Sector by sector the State is being cut out of the equation and power is being returned to the individual.”"

Securing the World's Bitcoin https://bitgo.com
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 08:17:24 PM

LOL Forbes !
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 08:25:54 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2013, 10:50:44 PM by Spaceman_Spiff

" When I ask for his name and nationality, he’s so spooked that he refuses to answer any other questions and we lose contact for a month. "

Or maybe he just decided not to waste his time on a bunch of idiots....   Roll Eyes

What was the next question? "Can we meet at the nearest police station?"

Well-written though.
2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 10:22:46 PM

Here is the entire interview, not just the article:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/08/14/an-interview-with-a-digital-drug-lord-the-silk-roads-dread-pirate-roberts-qa/
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 09:55:19 AM

"THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS isn’t shy about naming Silk Road’s active ingredient: The cryptographic digital currency known as Bitcoin. “We’ve won the State’s War on Drugs because of Bitcoin,” he writes."

Sigh. With friends like this who needs enemies? .. and right as the NY and Senate investigations start. I wish DPR had just lurked in the shadows for all time.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 11:20:21 AM

« When I ask for his name and nationality, he’s so spooked that he refuses to answer any other questions and we lose contact for a month. »

Unfuckingbelievable.   You gotta be seriously dumb to ask a drug dealer his name.

aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:34:48 PM

Among the many weird possibilities with this weird story is that Forbes just made the whole thing up. I don't think there would be any letters to the editor from DPR pointing out errata, and if there were one could never know if they were genuine.

The situation gives Forbes the perfect opportunity to say anything at all and attribute it to DPR.

For whatever reason, they didn't use the situation to say SR is collapsing or is Under the Eagle Eye of The Authorities, quite the opposite memes in fact. The main agenda seems to have been to reinforce a link between BTC and SR in their readers' minds - but why? Is it "evil BTC is used only by evil druggies" or is it "you can get anything you want with BTC, even naughty things"?

Weird apparent digression about how people were persuaded to use something by forbidding its use:

"... the king gave Parmentier some acreage for the growing of potatoes. Walls were put up and a guard established to protect the garden. The air of mystery aroused people’s curiosity, which was doubled when guards accepted bribes to allow people to dig up potatoes. All of this staging encouraged people to look at the humble tuber from a new perspective."

https://nobility.org/2012/10/15/recipe-louis-xvi-marie-antoinette-potato/

Machiavellian or clumsy - time will tell. There is an art in stumbling gracelessly toward one's goals, in looking like a fool while shaping reality all the while.

What does Forbes want? At first thought, they want only the status quo where they have a perch near the top. Perhaps it is as simple as that, perhaps not.

I look forward to the next chapter. More clues needed - I'm clueless.            Smiley
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:08:09 PM

« When I ask for his name and nationality, he’s so spooked that he refuses to answer any other questions and we lose contact for a month. »

Unfuckingbelievable.   You gotta be seriously dumb to ask a drug dealer his name.

Whoa whoa, who you calling a drug dealer? If anything he's an enabler  Cheesy .
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 07:17:20 PM

Among the many weird possibilities with this weird story is that Forbes just made the whole thing up. I don't think there would be any letters to the editor from DPR pointing out errata, and if there were one could never know if they were genuine.

Doesn't DPR communicate on SR?  Then he could call out their bullshit, no?  I think it is genuine.
aigeezer
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 07:20:16 PM

Doesn't DPR communicate on SR?  Then he could call out their bullshit, no?  I think it is genuine.

Good point - you're right.

bobdude17

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 08:52:25 PM

Good point - you're right.

He signed a warning before it was printed:

Quote from: DPR
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

I'd like forewarn everyone that in about 5 days an article will be published that is likely to generate a lot of buzz around Silk Road and attract new people to the site.  New information about me, the site and many things will be discussed and I have no doubt that it will produce some controversy.  I will be available to answer your questions here on the forums, and hopefully we'll have a fruitful discussion.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJSBXwLAAoJEAIiQjtnt/olXuwIAJE2zOrz3GBGPr7XBN+lgK7C
tBQvoEMi1ubkxL6XAAhYLhPrkLtSNSxZYll64bh8bGsgQVs2aLFGMsaOSfNYsWXL
qCJpGwsw3YBXmfxoLHnjBKSJsKrf58ibLTbT4zOoyCSvxg32fmddBUL+dHTgB1Ra
7TDmW/vFlDWRvHAM2vrIoawzzHlkQCVex9ksOuGRmEdKxOng1qbdXwTerNp3aY3I
9hZ38la/9CuX3MkNpb7zvn7/ojHMtXqcd43nusKoxzlA0ZAqqLisj9oTA7pViSzz
kgD/8S8AazOeXu/CiOXlITU1u1EDUpJM1bQa7HjeE6KlOrhS2BlXq/LxU2XFWoU=
=W3DF
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
aigeezer
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 11:22:54 PM

Thanks, guys. I was even more clueless than I realized. So we're pretty sure that it really is DPR and that he gave the interview (mainly) for the publicity, right?

How about the Forbes part? What do you think they want from these recent BTC/drug articles? Why are they doing them, and why in the mid-August media lull?

I'm too chastened to float another hypothesis right now but maybe I can counter or endorse someone else's.         Smiley

Mutter, mutter - it really is DPR but why the heck would he want to draw attention to BTC like that if it's his "secret ingredient"? Something still seems weird.

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 11:37:29 PM

Mutter, mutter - it really is DPR but why the heck would he want to draw attention to BTC like that if it's his "secret ingredient"? Something still seems weird.
Free publicity for SR?
StreakfortheBTC

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 11:47:50 PM

I don't know how smart this is for DPR to do.

Think about it....

We already know the "State" is freaking pissed that people can buy/sell anything through SR....now you throw this in a national magazine, its like spitting in their faces, kicking the hornets nest, etc....

Just saying.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:26:18 AM

Think about it....

We already know the "State" is freaking pissed that people can buy/sell anything through SR....now you throw this in a national magazine, its like spitting in their faces, kicking the hornets nest, etc....

Just saying.
DPR probably thinks he is uncatchable, which may be true or not.  Personally, I think this is a very bad time to start pissing governmental people off, since the regulatory framework is starting to be put in place.  Wish he had just kept himself in the shadows...
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 12:33:06 AM

government has power if you give it power. i think it's time for a paradigm shift
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:59:02 AM

Think about it....

Just saying.
DPR probably thinks he is uncatchable, which may be true or not.  Personally, I think this is a very bad time to start pissing governmental people off, since the regulatory framework is starting to be put in place.  Wish he had just kept himself in the shadows...

Agreed. This attention is not good for bitcoin at the moment. Even if you don't care about using bitcoin "legitimately" within the existing financial paradigm, this still doesn't help anybody except for SR vendors.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 02:57:50 AM

Personally, I think this is a very bad time to start pissing governmental people off, since the regulatory framework is starting to be put in place.
So you're saying I shouldn't publish my illustrated step-by-step tutorial designed to teach people in the sex work industry how to use Bitcoin?
Bitware

Activity: 926

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 05:56:10 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2013, 06:21:29 AM by Bitware

What does Forbes want?

Forbes goes back to the 1900 teens employed by William Randolph Hearst. He was a financial columnist at the time the Money Trust (bankers) and foundations bought up all the major newspapers. He was put there by Hearst - I believe - at the behest of the financial interests that got the Federal Reserve and Revenue Acts of 1913 enacted to give positive light to the new legislation. I believe this because in 1933 Hearst was defaulting on a loan... and the bankers extended it instead of forclosing like they did with everyone else who could not pay up. One of the biggest property, business and land grabs in all of human history, and the bankers were relentless and non-caring about it to, and the banks just let him go so he would not lose his land held in collateral. Bullshit. He was repaid a debt for a lot of work conditioning the public for decades.

Hearst and Forbes were also both heavily involved in investment banking and politics.

Make no mistake about it... Forbes relies on the traditional financial/economic systems for their quality of life, wealth and power. Bitcoin represents the end of all of that. They are scared and this is a blow on the battlefield.

It's a hit-piece to associate drugs/terrorism to Bitcoin...

Here's What It's Like To Buy Drugs On Three Anonymous Online Black Markets

Bitcoin gets the FBI, Homeland treatment

Bitcoin Investigation: Is this the end of virtual currency?

They want to tax it and control it.

Congress is talking about it right now.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 08:02:21 AM

They can try  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: