Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:18:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending BTC from Bitcoin Core and Claiming BCH  (Read 199 times)
riverraccoon (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 06:52:10 PM

I tried to find a solid answer on this, but failed, so sorry if this has already been posted.

I have BTC in Bitcoin Core, have never claimed BCH. I tried the Coinomi method and it did not work to claim the BCH. I also searched on blockchair.com and it shows "no results" but I have found other people that said they had that issue also.

So the easiest way to do this seems to copy the folders on another computer and use Bitcoin ABC.

For this method, if I first send the BTC I have to Coinbase, then do the Bitcoin ABC claim, will it still work? I just want to make sure I just need the old wallet files, and not the actually coins to be sitting in there to do the claim. I am a bit sketch on putting that info in and maybe messing something up, rather have the BTC be safe and away before even trying. Any help greatly appreciated.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16557

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2018, 07:11:27 PM

I have BTC in Bitcoin Core, have never claimed BCH. I tried the Coinomi method and it did not work to claim the BCH.
What exactly did you try? And why did you try this already if you still need to move your Bitcoin to a new safe address?

These are the basic steps:
-move all your Bitcoins to a new address
-export the private keys to the Bitcoin addresses that held your coins at the moment of the fork
-sweep the private keys into Coinomi, do this for Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold and Bitcore

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
riverraccoon (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 07:20:21 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2018, 07:37:13 PM by riverraccoon

I have BTC in Bitcoin Core, have never claimed BCH. I tried the Coinomi method and it did not work to claim the BCH.
What exactly did you try? And why did you try this already if you still need to move your Bitcoin to a new safe address?

These are the basic steps:
-move all your Bitcoins to a new address
-export the private keys to the Bitcoin addresses that held your coins at the moment of the fork
-sweep the private keys into Coinomi, do this for Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold and Bitcore

Thanks much for your help, I will move those asap glad to get them off and be safe while I try to get the BCH. I tried using the Coinomi method by taking the private key to the received address, and then it said something like "nothing found" - I forget the exact error I tried this about 2 months ago. I realized later I should not even mess with these keys and stopped from there, should have moved really before I tried it. When searching online I found some other people had this error as well and were unable to claim via Coinomi. Based on what I read then, it had something to do with the Key not starting with the right digit/letter.

Should I then try the ABC method of copying the folders to another PC or is there another better method?
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16557

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2018, 08:08:25 PM

Based on what I read then, it had something to do with the Key not starting with the right digit/letter.
Make sure you copy the correct private key, and nothing else. That way it should work.

Should I then try the ABC method of copying the folders to another PC or is there another better method?
I've never used it, so I'll leave this question for someone else.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
riverraccoon (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 06:57:46 AM
Merited by achow101 (1), LoyceV (1)

The private key did not work for some reason, and when I would check addresses there was no BCH showing on it either.

However, this is what ended up working:

1 - Sent all coins to another wallet (thanks LoyceV), this is the safe thing to do

2 - Downloaded Bitcoin ABC on another PC

3 - Loaded it until it was up to date

4 - Swapped wallet with old bitcoin wallet that is now empty, but had coins in at time of fork

5 - If you sent your coins out, it will show 0. Go into transactions. Right click and select Abandon Transaction for all post-fork transactions.

And then your BCC is right there. This should work for anyone that was having issues with the Coinomi method. Make sure you have enough harddrive space when doing this files are very large.
BeerPimp

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 10:57:05 AM

The private key did not work for some reason, and when I would check addresses there was no BCH showing on it either.

However, this is what ended up working:

1 - Sent all coins to another wallet (thanks LoyceV), this is the safe thing to do

2 - Downloaded Bitcoin ABC on another PC

3 - Loaded it until it was up to date

4 - Swapped wallet with old bitcoin wallet that is now empty, but had coins in at time of fork

5 - If you sent your coins out, it will show 0. Go into transactions. Right click and select Abandon Transaction for all post-fork transactions.

And then your BCC is right there. This should work for anyone that was having issues with the Coinomi method. Make sure you have enough harddrive space when doing this files are very large.

Thanks I was worried I would not get my BCH but step 5 is what I needed to fix the wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: