Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:26:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DeepOnion - Ethics And The Future  (Read 156 times)
junetuesdays (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 08:53:39 PM

An article I wrote for DeepOnion

What are your thoughts?

STEMMIT : https://steemit.com/freedom/@junetuesdays/deeponion-ethics-and-the-future (DeepOnion - Ethics and The Future — Steemit)

Firstly I would like to say I'm a huge fan of DeepOnion, I'm passionate about the product, believe in the development, think the community is awesome and I'm very excited of what the future holds.

From a politic point of view I'm also on the left and believe everyone has the right to privacy and freedom without cost, its a fundamental human right that we cannot take for granted. That being said we have seen worrying proposed changes how governments around the world wish to "protect" us from dangers / terrorism such as the the UK's Snoopers Charter which for the average Joe seems reasonable but for me its terrifying. This kind invasion of privacy combined with Google Home and the Amazon Echo cold paint for a terrifying future, after all if Hitler had these kind of tools at his disposal his goal would have been accomplished much quicker.

This is why I strongly believe in services such as DeepOnion, VPN's and TOR as it is the only way we can stay protected in a forever changing world. It's also my right to purchase goods and services without the fear of reprisal, If I choose to pay for and x-rated service without disclosing this to bank that is my right, if I choose to self medicate again it is my right. Communities such as DeepOnion restores my faith in this!

However, I also have huge concerns.

Unfortunately the Darkweb has made us aware of a very dark side of humanity, some of the activities and content contained on the Darkweb is very disturbing that being said it is just a reflection of what happens in our society which cannot be ignored. DeepOnion once successful will have a huge part to play in this, people will choose the most anonymous currency so my first question is as a community are we accepting of this? or will we try to shape it in another way?

Then we have to start to think about rogue countries and terrorism will they choose to avoid banks and trade through currencies like DeepOnion? after all the platform is perfect for such trading. Will we make it easier for respected weapon manufacturers to trade anonymously with such groups?

I'm excited but also worried, I want DeepOnion to be on the right side of freedom of privacy not the wrong so my questions is

Is this what the community wants or are we happy either way?

Lets discuss...

JuneTuesdays

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Holy Dank

Activity: 63

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 07:46:10 AM

If DO accomplishes what I hope, it will be widely accepted by all kinds of merchants and not just for illegal things.
If all payments were completely untraceable, the transactions would be untaxable, then everyone who doesnt like having a percentage of their money stolen at every turn would benefit from a currency such as this.
DO could be huge if enough people are down to fuck the government and banks over big time and keep more of their money.
djangocoin

Activity: 474
Merit: 285

Brave New World

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:25:07 AM

You say you are on the left OP, but the left believe in big government: that pretty much flies in the face of anonymity and privacy.

:]
chess888

Activity: 224

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:18:20 PM

Definitely deep, very deep and very... contradicting? Not really, Where there's a will, there's a way. I think it would be up to some of us. Right to privacy doesn't mean right to illegal online things. For normal people like us, good citizens, nothing bad can be "traced" or "stopped". With them, it's different. I heard "anonymous" was able to stop some bad people from deep web. I think my answer is something like that. For someone or something to trace the bad stuff out there and stop it.
iRakic

Activity: 63

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 09:04:30 PM

DeepOnion offers people an opportunity to have their privacy and their rights intact. What people will do - like with anything in life - if there is an opportunity, there is a choice. In my opinion, DeepOnion is on the right side and the intentions of this project are pure.
September11Myth

Activity: 387
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:41:36 PM

You say you are on the left OP, but the left believe in big government: that pretty much flies in the face of anonymity and privacy.

This is one of those Deep Truths that people with a true leftist spirit often don't get: The Political Left in the Western countries has paradoxically turned into a more totalitarian force than the Political Right...

⚪ Byteball          I T   J U S T   W O R K S .   
Sending Crypto to Email   -   Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments   -   ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD                  TELEGRAM                     TWITTER                  MEDIUM                  SLACK                  REDDIT
CryptoKyddie

Activity: 182
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:18:09 AM

You worry about nothing my friend. DeepOnion is a legit project with some of the most moral and hard working people I have ever met. DeepOnion is not about abusing the net, it is about protecting people's right to privacy. By using OBFS4 and TOR DeepOnion is able to offer crypto to people in all countries regardless of censorship and government control. Transfers are fast and very safe. Additionally Vote Central will provide the community with the opportunity to make their stamp on the project as it develops. DeepVault is nothing to be worried about, even Kodak has announced it is working on something very similar.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: