Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:46:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote monitoring: Gpu temp, fan speed, hash rate, uptime, share ratio  (Read 4429 times)
Nick Carlson (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 06:44:42 PM
Last edit: July 09, 2011, 06:56:49 PM by Nick Carlson

Hi everyone,

I've started writing a web app which acts as a remote monitoring service for mining rigs. I'm trying to gauge the interest this community would have in such a product. Here are some of it's features:

* A web-based "dashboard" for viewing near real-time updates on important operating metrics like:
    * GPU temperature
    * Fan speed
    * Hash rate
    * Valid/Stale shares
    * Up time

* Alerts when a metric drops below a user-set threshold. For example, if a GPU temp goes over 90 degrees, or a hash rate drops below 200Mhash, an email, sms, or phone call would alert you within minutes/seconds.

At the moment, the server is written in python. A forked version of Phoenix miner sends data to the server through a simple http request like "server.com/log/?user=johndoe&gpu_id=xyz&hashrate=213.45&temp=42.0 etc.

The data from the request is saved in a MongoDB database. When a user wants to view their GPU's operating metrics in real-time, they simply point their browser to "server.com/dashboard/", and a nifty jquery-powered dashboard shows all pertinent data.

Would this type of service be of interest to anyone?

Edit: Also, if you would be interested in alpha testing such a service, either post here or shoot me a PM.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 07:01:14 PM

Reinventing the wheel?

All that can be done with Icinga already

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
Nick Carlson (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 08:09:17 PM

You have a good point there...  Embarrassed
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:36:53 PM

or use a VNC/shell server

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
hennessy

Activity: 51

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 09:25:21 AM

I'd really like to see something like this as long as it runs in windows. I am currently using VNC but a mining-tailored independent web-app would be so much easier to use.
NetTecture

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 10:34:06 AM

or use a VNC/shell server

Which works SO fine for those with 20+ computers. Get real, please. The solution he proposes is for more serious operations that one dude and his two computer basement operation.
Christian Pezza

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:01:57 PM

I love the fact is  Web-base

any evolutions?

If you like this tread consider to donate some to https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html
Nick Carlson (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:04:09 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2011, 05:25:59 PM by Nick Carlson

I'd really like to see something like this as long as it runs in windows.

edit: The miner runs on linux and windows. It's just a modified version of Phoenix miner.

It's browser based, and remotely hosted. So you'd sign up for an account, setup your miners, then point your browser to myServer.com/dashboard/, and you'd see something like this:

https://i.imgur.com/IaoNS.png
Image courtesy of Geckoboard.
Christian Pezza

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 02:03:54 AM

WOW

where I can start with this! I love it

got it thanks  Smiley

If you like this tread consider to donate some to https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html
hennessy

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 07:49:24 AM

Thats perfect! I really though about coding this exactly myself, but I'm more a web developer than anything else and frankly I don't know how to get to the temperatures for example. Right now I always have to connect via VNC (which must be installed at first) which itself already makes trouble because it somehow interferes with the display drivers and sometimes crashes my rig when connecting.
Then all these programs have to run to monitor all the stuff, which consumes a lot of additional energy.

Anyway, really looking forward to this!
entens

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 07:17:40 PM

Based on the usage of mongoDB this is using Node.js? I have an similar system I'm hacking away at, but I gather the values from the server side. Were you going to release your codebase?
Christian Pezza

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 07:54:41 PM

I mean looks cool but where is the widget I can use to connect with the GPU... If tell to write it well I can answer I dont know where I should start... can you please help me? Tongue

xane

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 08:49:24 PM

I would definitely love a service like this... but how to monetize it? If you don't make any money off of it, I would have reservations about it being around longer-term...
Nick Carlson (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:09:17 PM

The software is still in development. However, in the mean time, feel free to use this simple utility that I wrote. Only MtRed is supported at the moment, but I'll add the other major pools this weekend. The source code is here, so if you want to submit a patch, I'd be more than happy to accept it.

I don't know how to get to the temperatures for example.

The code to read GPU diagnostics like temperature is platform specific. You really need 4 code bases. One for Nvidia and one for AMD on both windows and linux. I've got the AMD portion written, but I still haven't tackled Nvidia yet.

Based on the usage of mongoDB this is using Node.js? I have an similar system I'm hacking away at, but I gather the values from the server side. Were you going to release your codebase?

The front end server is written in Node.js, but the data gathering portion uses Flask running on Tornado.

Yes, everything will be open source as soon as I release the pre-alpha.

I mean looks cool but where is the widget I can use to connect with the GPU... If tell to write it well I can answer I dont know where I should start... can you please help me? Tongue

GPU diagnostics will be read periodically by the mining software and sent to a remote server. I can't tell you where to start yet, because I haven't released the software.

I would definitely love a service like this... but how to monetize it? If you don't make any money off of it, I would have reservations about it being around longer-term...

The service will be proprietary. No free plans. A test utility will be available for download which will verify whether your system is supported or not. Like I said above, the software (most of it) will be open source. If someone wants to set up their own servers, they're free to do so.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: